Melissa Update, Part 5, Thurs Jan 25

DancingLight

Glad you got to see your cat Melissa!

I am hoping this NG tube will settle down for you. I know how uncomfortable they are and I hope that you will be feeling much better within a day or two.

My thoughts are with you and of course I'm sending lots of hugs your way.

For those of you who are interested....each case is different but in general when you have small bowel bacterial overgrowth it can be the result of the muscles and nerves not working properly. Over time, there is so much overgrowth in the lower GI tract that it moves from the colon back up into the small bowel.

Even when a person can't eat, the GI muscles will still move and contract some and of course there is still acid and bacteria hanging out.

I think the hope is that if they can get something in Melissa's stomach or intestines that it will start to help control the bacterial overgrowth. This is a VERY simplified explanation and there's much more to all of this but that's the "starter explanation"

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Em. I spoke with her on Weds so I've been worrying once again.

Melissa won't be able to talk? Now this is getting serious. LOL I caught your humor Em.

Melissa:

I was going to visit you this weekend, would it not be a good time for you? I'll leave you a voice mail.

Hugs and kisses

Karen

Thanks for the update and information, Emily and PoohBear. And Em, thanks for your faithful "CNN news reports." We appreciate them!

Melissa,

I'm sorry you are so uncomfortable and miserable. I hope and pray that the NJ tube works well and helps you to improve. And I hope that you will soon be chattering away at your friends again. :)

Rachel

Oy vey--that's pretty serious when the stiffel Melissa's chatting :)

Tell her I said "ewe" about the NG tube. She's such a trooper...and I'm hoping that they get things all straightened out ASAP so she can go home and REALLY snuggle with her kitty, sleep in her own bed, and walk around her own house.

Please let her know that we all miss her here and are thinking about her all the time. :) Nina with love and hugs, and a kitty kiss from my Wilbur.

Melissa-----I hope your throat feels better soon and your back to talking in no time--- :)

I'm so sorry you have to deal with that tube, but the tube can be a good thing in the long run. My mother had one once---as she also has gastroparesis secondary to diabetic neuropathy.

Melissa, I hope the gastric nasal tube helps you feel better. Sending you prayers and healing wishes.-ofpinkroses.jpg

Maxine :0)

I wanted to post an update before my computer gets sent away AGAIN to the fix-it shop. Grrrrrrr....thank goodness the fix-it shop for me is a friend of my dad's and he just helps out whenever I need. Last night, I was sick as a dog, listening to my iPod and it froze on me too! Am I jinxed???? Poop.

Anyways, this isn't about me....it's may latest update on Melissa...

I don't know too much.

She woke up on Friday with her throat a bit better, and was able to call and leave me a voice message.

She's trying the itty-bitty amounts of feeding. Not tolerating them so hot.

She's off of the antibiotics (SCARY!)--as she calls it...entering unchartered territory again.

Then, on Saturday she woke up with her throat really, really miserable, so can't talk again!!!! Yikes!

The good news: they figured out a way to put ALL of her meds through her IV lines and VOILA! they are working better than they have in months or even years. She sat up for a teeny bit yesterday for the first time in a long time.

That's really all I know right now!!!!!!

Today is FIVE weeks in l'hopital....Ugh.

Later alligators!

Love, Em

I wanted to post an update before my computer gets sent away AGAIN to the fix-it shop. Grrrrrrr....thank goodness the fix-it shop for me is a friend of my dad's and he just helps out whenever I need. Last night, I was sick as a dog, listening to my iPod and it froze on me too! Am I jinxed???? Poop.

Anyways, this isn't about me....it's may latest update on Melissa...

I don't know too much.

She woke up on Friday with her throat a bit better, and was able to call and leave me a voice message.

She's trying the itty-bitty amounts of feeding. Not tolerating them so hot.

She's off of the antibiotics (SCARY!)--as she calls it...entering unchartered territory again.

Then, on Saturday she woke up with her throat really, really miserable, so can't talk again!!!! Yikes!

The good news: they figured out a way to put ALL of her meds through her IV lines and VOILA! they are working better than they have in months or even years. She sat up for a teeny bit yesterday for the first time in a long time.

That's really all I know right now!!!!!!

Today is FIVE weeks in l'hopital....Ugh.

Later alligators!

Love, Em

Melissa-----I hope your throat feels better soon and your back to talking in no time--- :)

I'm so sorry you have to deal with that tube, but the tube can be a good thing in the long run. My mother had one once---as she also has gastroparesis secondary to diabetic neuropathy.

Melissa, I hope the gastric nasal tube helps you feel better. Sending you prayers and healing wishes.-ofpinkroses.jpg

I am so sorry for what Melissa is going through, my heart goes out to her,but more importantly my prayers. Hugs to Melissa Pat

Thanks Em for the update :)

Melissa, I'm glad that they're now able to give you meds through your IV line! And also that you got to sit up for a bit! I hope the hospital gives you some kind of trophy or medal for being such a trooper through all this...although I'm sure your doctors deserve kudos as well!

5 weeks in the hospital is yucky. As soon as I feel well enough myself, I'm going to mail you a care-package...but I need to be able to walk into the post office without fainting first :)

I really hope things only improve for you, you definitley deserve a rest dear!

Hugs,

Lauren

Thanks for the updates, Em, I cannot imagine how it would be thinking of her without knowing how she is.

Melissa:

Congratulations! You got the medicines via IV. That?s a great news. I am glad that you are having the right drugs now and that you have been able to sit for a while.

Don?t worry about your throat hurting so much, it is usual. You will feel much better soon and really fine the moment you can get rid of the tube.

I have been thinking of you all this time, but have not been able to log in these days because I was not feeling very well. But I am better now and I am back to check your health and send you good vibs, smiles and hugs.

Keep on this way and you will recover. Many people miss you and I am sure you miss us too, but do not feel frustrated for not being able to post, you will have plenty of time when you are back home and fully recovered.

Take care and keep smiling,

Love,

Tessa

thanks emily for the update!

Melissa I am so glad that they have found a way to get all ur meds into you! YEA! also im very glad to hear that they are working better then they have in years.. that is fantastic!

i can not even beginn to imagine how scared and scary it must be for you your family and your doctors that you are off antibiotics.. WHEWWW! girl...i just pray that with meds properly being able to scoot into your body that maybe it will really be the turning point for you.. and from here on out you continue to healing and get stronger and stronger and better and better..

much love and hugs melissa!

dizzygirl

Thanks Em for the update.

Melissa, like many others, I am mainly checking the site these days for updates on you.

I am glad the meds are helping better...now if we could just get rid of the sore throat and get your guts working again a little bit.

Hugs to you,

Soph

Emily,

I always appreciate being able to hear some more news about Melissa. Thanks for letting us know the latest scoop. And good luck with the computer!

Melissa,

I'm praying for you as you go off the antibiotics and head into all of the unknowns that go along with that. I pray that all goes well and that you regain some strength.

It's good to hear that you were able to sit up a bit. And I'm so happy that they can give you all of your meds through your IV now. Yay!

May you be blessed with many cards and care packages this week. :)

Lots of hugs,

Rachel

Quick update on Melissa:

Tomorrow morning, she is going to be getting the NJ tube out of her nose and throat and a more permanent J (and G) tube put into her abdomen. The new tube will allow her throat to heal as she puts tiny amounts formula directly into her small intestine. The hope is that this will cause some motility in her small bowel and stop the bacteria overgrowth thought to be the root of the recurring sepsis. She will still be getting her nutrition from TPN because her digestive tract can't handle more than a trickle of feeding per hour.

The procedure is going to be done at a different hospital, so she'll be transferred, have the procedure, and then be sent home . There is no way to tell if this will stop the sepsis from coming back, but it is at least something to try rather than just sending her home without anything (and off of antibiotics).

That's all for now! She is still feeling really miserable, so this is the next step in the process. The hope for this procedure is just to prevent another crisis from happening, not a total cure.

Goodluck Melissa, I've been thinking about you....hope everything goes smoothly!

jacquie

Thank you Kristen!

I am sooo nervous about Melissa managing at home....when she told me I was like, 'you're going home?' and she laughed and said 'are you freaked out?' :)

I hope her throat will heal fairly quickly after the NJ tube is removed, however, just removing seems like it will cause so much irritation again.

She will be so wiped out from all of this round of procedures and being transported home...

Sooo, my computer is back from the 'fix it shop!' Yeah! But, now, I'm waaaaay behind on everything. Ah, you'll have this, as my grandmother would say.

Em

Thanks Emily and Kristen (and everyone!) for keeping us informed. I will keep Melissa in my thoughts tomorrow as she deals with her tube placement surgery. I am also praying that the sepsis will NOT return with the discontinuation of the anti-B's. I also hope our sweet Melissa can tolerate these feeds to keep that small bowel from being a breeding ground for bad bacteria. I hope the hospital keeps her until she feels stable enough to return home.

Don't be frightened sweet Melissa. We all love you and are pulling for you. Trust that you'll keep getting stronger and stronger and keep that infection at bay!

Big Hugs-

Julie

Melissa you continue to be in my thoughts and prayers for healing.

I hope the placement of the J-tube in your abdomin helps clear anything in your small intestine that doesn't belong there--and hopefully this will help improve your motility. :)

Keep hanging in there------------------------your loved by many, and were all rooting for you to have the stength to get through this.

BIG HUGS, :)