Melissa Update, Part 5, Thurs Jan 25

DancingLight

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any updates on how melissa is doing? anybody know.. any luck in finding a facility/doctors that can help her?

prayers are with you melissa!

I've got to admit that I'm out of the loop this time around, or I would have posted!!!

I've relayed info to her via vm and super quick phone conversations, but don't know anything else! Sorry! Any information folks have sent me via email HAS been given to her, I promise...even if I haven't gotten back to you personally. I am hoping something will give her a lead.

Kristen talked to her a bit and she was about the same, I think...

As for the 'next step' I'm not sure where things stand...

If anyone else has the scoop...let us know! :)

Em

P.S. What I do know....TODAY is ONE MONTH of her being in l'hopital!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UGH!

I spoke to Melissa yesturday.

She was doing a little better but still very sick overall. Basically she is in a "holding pattern" right now. They have a game plan for the next step but have to wait until Monday to see how things work out (Dr's and hospitals don't seem to accomplish much on weekend) ---they are trying to coordinate the next step for her.

She has a long road ahead of her but she's a trooper!

I actually got to chat with Melissa yesterday. What a brave and inspirational young woman! Lots of folks from the Yahoo International Gastroparesis Group (Melissa's also a member there) are working hard to help find her a doctor/hospital that has experience with this type of chronic sepsis. I pray that she can be effectively treated there in Toledo or can find a physician who has the answers she so badly needs. In the meantime, I will keep seaching for recommendations via the other group and am holding Melissa in my thoughts and prayers.

Julie

Guest tearose

Thanks for keeping us updated guys!

It sure has been a long haul this time Melissa! Please keep fighting to get better. We want you back soon!

I don't understand the link between gastroparesis and chronic sepsis. Is there one?

best regards, tearose

I saw Melissa yesterday-- her room is covered in your beautiful cards and well-wishes.

Corina-- your hand-made card is exquisite!

Rachel-- your fish stickers are adorable-- i recognized them from the ones on Melissa's b-day card :(

Others-- your fish cards, thinking of you cards, fish notepaper, and colorful flowers are filling up Melissa's room with love and beauty. I wanted to make a special point to post about how caring and wonderful this forum is-- i could visibly see it, smell it, and feel it in Melissa's room yesterday. I wish i could remember all the names of people who have sent such cute gifts and cards, but i was a little POTSy yesterday from the trip. Please know that you are brightening that little room! She has a private room with windows right now, so it is a great place to display her cards.

Others have covered Melissa's medical update, so i won't repeat. I'm just specifically posting to say that this is a great support network-- which is so wonderful considering we are all working with much less energy and strength than the "normal" person. :unsure:

Kristen

Kristen!

Thank you so much for the update. I have been so amazed by the outpouring of love and support for Melissa--and maybe haven't said THANK YOU enough myself! So, thank you for pointing that out more clearly! Also, I knew she was getting cards and such, but to have you actually BE THERE see it and write what it was like to be in her room--that was really beautfiul. I know how much of a difference having things around you that make you feel loved can make.

Also, she had two sets of furry visitors! First, some therapy dogs came last week and they were, guess what? WHEATENS! So, she was like, hey, those are Asher! :( (my dog). And, this weekend she got to have her kitty cat come vist for 4 hours each day! That is so cool. I don't think Asher has it in him to be a therapy dog! Since he panics whenever I am sick-er.

No medical news that I know of. I think she is a bit (okay, very) frustrated by that part. She called thsi afternoon but didn't leave a message. I'm having a few really crummy days and am sorry that I have not been able to talk to her and also to update much here.

Kristen, it's soooo great that you got to see her and visit. And see her room and give her a hug.

Now, rest up yourself from the long trip! :unsure:

And as Kristen said--You all truly humble and amaze me.

Emily

It's awesome that Melissa got to see her cat!!! I know that must have really cheered her up big time. :) I know it would have made me so happy during the times I was in the pokey to have my kitties to snuggle with for a while. It's got to be the best kind of visitor--they can even nap with you when you're drifting in and out of meds. :(

Nina

That is so nice, Kristen, that you were able to visit Melissa.

I'm glad to hear that Melissa's room is decorated well with cards and flowers.

And that is so cool that therapy dogs and her own kitty were allowed to come visit her!

I am praying for you, Melissa, and for wisdom for your doctors.

Rachel

Glad Melissa got to see her cat!

Hope the cat wasn't too nervous...cats don't usually travel as well as dogs who are happy to go anywhere....though I did have a siamese for a couple years that LOVED to walk on a leash and harness...even had a blue sweater for cold weather...when I would get out the leash to go for awalk, he would spin in circles like a happy dog! LOL

Hope the kitty purred for you Melissa.

Still sending thoughts and prayers your way.

Soph

Thanks Emily.

My cats are doglike around the house...follow me around from room to room..sleep at my feet or usually on me when they can...when I go to the bathroom, they follow me if they have the run of the house (we keep cats separated as two out of the four do NOT get so we have a set routine to herd cats but I digress) or wait for me at the bifold doors we put up in the hallway or watch me thru the French doors when I am in the kitchen.

My two even play fetch....though only when THEY are in the mood and not as much as they used too. :(

I am just glad Melissa got a visit with her furry friend. The best medicine.

:)

oh how sweet and fabulous tht her kitty got to come and see her this past weekend tht is great and can be such a mood lifter as well! and she got to dogs visitiors as well that is very cool..

will they let her kitty coma back again if she is going to be in longer?

any updates on how melissa is doing? have they gottne any closer to figuring things out? found a doctor or faciilty that can help her?

lots of hugs and prayer your way melissa

dizz

how are you doing em?

Hello All!

I do have a bit of an update on Melissa...mostly things have been in a holding pattern, so the CNN news feed dedicated to Miss Sunfish had slowed down a bit! (Thankfully!)...

Anyways, today she got an NJ Tube (feeding tube through the nose and into the small intestine) placed.

This is to try to see if she can tolerate some tube feeding. They will start her at TEENY TINY doses to see if she can tolerate it. Mack's Mom/Julie understands much better than I do why this might help her situation and perhaps Julie can chime in! But, it is sort of to keep things 'moving' more in the small intestine where the infection is and create less of a breeding ground for the bacteria and fungus that is leaking into her blood stream.

At this point she is also still on antibiotics.

She is miserable right now...she thought the insertion itself would be yucky, but she's been yucky all day b/c she's been throwing up all day and also can't swallow her pills b/c her throat is 'smaller' from the tube.

Plus, her throat hurts, so she can't really talk!!!! NOW, Melissa not talking is going to be an issue! :) When she feels well enough to read this she will be laughing so hard at my comment. But, she loves to talk (as do I) and will go nuts if her throat stays sore for too long!

So, that's the scoop as of now.

Later alligators!

Emily