We're Having a Baby!!

ethansmom

OK folks, it's the news some of you have been waiting for....David and I are expecting another baby next summer!!

This news is still very new and not yet confirmed with a doctor, but I am about 99% certain. This was HUGE surprise, as we were not at all planning to have any more kids until Ethan was a little older. But my diaphragm apparently wasn'y fully effective, lol :P And I haven't been able to tolerate the pill for years, so I guess I am just going to be having kids left and right here....

Anyways...I did just get health insurance, however it does not pay for maternity benefits. This concerns me a lot, and I am going to need to find a doctor (well, preferably a midwife) that I can afford, but still get the treatment I need for POTS. During my last pregnancy, I stopped taking Pro-Amatine and did fairly well. I took Florinef and gained 80 lbs, and I took a beta blocker and the baby had a slow HR, so this time I'd like to try to nix all the meds (right now I am only taking Pro-Amatine and Florinef). Should I just stop altogether because I know I'm pregnant, and these early weeks are so important for development? Or should I taper off within a week or two?

I just saw my new cardiologist last week, so I guess I'll be giving him a call once I get a blood test to confirm, but I just wanted to know what to do with the meds in the meantime. I took Motrin all day the other day for a bad headache too, and now I feel bad about that because I didn't know. Ugghh!! My cardio almost gave me an x-ray too last week, and they asked me when my period was due, and I told them I was about 2 days late and they wouldn't let me get it done, which turns out to be wonderful!!

Anyhow...right now I am so nervous, but happy and excited too. How am I going to cope with having two kids and POTS, so young and close in age? How do I survive morning sickness again with a toddler? Will I ever sleep again? I am so overwhelmed, but I just wanted to share this news with all of you, who know how much I love being a mom!!

Congrats!!!!

I envy you, I would love more kids. Right now though if I got pregers it would be an act of God and I would have to go up there and "have a little talk".

As to meds, I would suggest a blood test and then taper off in a week or two. Boost your salt and liquid intake. I hope and pray everthing works out for you.

:P:P

Blackwolf

Guest tearose

What wonderful news! This is sure to be an exciting time for you and your family.

I can't address the meds question cause I do all those non-med modifications but I can reassure you that you will find a way to manage! In fact your blood volume will increase so much that you may actually feel fairly good for some time! My boys were two years apart and I think it was busy at first but they are such good friends now as they have become young men. Oh, and you will sleep again...when they are about 2 and 4 years old!!! Start to pamper yourself and build up any reserve energy you can. Warm loving mothering hugs to you. tearose

Jessica,

that's really GREAT news. I'm soooo happy for you. Don't know anything about the meds, just wanted to congratulate you. Hope you're feeling well and don't have too much trouble with this pregnancy. Like tearose I think your bloodvolume will increase enough to give you a great pregnancy (that's what I want for you anyway :P ). My husband and I have two sons and it's sooo great. They love to play football and tennis together and do computergames and it's so much fun to watch them do those things together!

Corina

Congrats! :P

You must check with your doctor about what meds are safe to take--I recall a discussion I had with Dr. Grubb at one point about what meds are safe to take during pregnancy, but that was 6 or 7 years ago, and I don't recall anymore which ones were okay and which ones were definitely out.

Nina

congrats jess!

wow!

i was just thinking about you this morning b/c you hadn't been posting as much the past couple of days...so i said hmmm...i hope she is "good" busy and that is why she doesn't have time to post rather than the other alternative of feeling too crummy to post...

well, now we know!

sooo...CONGRATULATIONS!

i know you are having such a mix of emotions right now...i cannot even imagine. i am sending you hugs and good thoughts and prayers for an healthy pregnancy! :P

later alligator!

emily

p.s. don't know about the meds! except i would think stopping too quickly would be too much for the body.

jessica,

that is really fabulous! i'm sure that you are thinking of a million things at once right now, but many of them will work themselves out. on the meds i really don't know what to advise you. i've had such a bad experience with my own meds that i would recommend seeing a doctor about it if you're able.

congrats,

rita

Oh, I am so happy for you, Jessica!!

I think sometimes it's better that this kind of stuff just happens rather than us planning it -- that way we don't worry ourselves to death about what the right way is of getting pregnant, which meds to be on, etc.

I think you need to check with a doctor ASAP about the meds issue. If I were you, I would probably taper off slowly. I don't think a complete cutoff is a good idea, but definitely call a doc Monday.

Are you possibly eligible for WIC? I think all prenatal visits are covered under that. If I recall, you had preeclampsia with Ethan, and that means you are at a slightly higher risk of developing it again. If you aren't eligible, call your state dept. of health and ask what to do. They sometimes can refer you to low-cost community health centers and such.

As for chasing a toddler and a baby, you will somehow find the strength to do it. I promise. I wake up and find it every day and I have full-blown POTS plus maybe more going on.

Best of luck to you, and please keep us updated.

Amy

Jessica, I am so happy for you and David!! Arent't you especially glad that you are back in Florida near your supportive family? I know having your Mom nearby will give you so much needed relief of chasing the babies and grandma will love it. Sounds like you are overwhelmed but just give your self time to make the adjustment and enjoy this period in your life.

Like others, I think the best thing regarding meds is to talk with a doctor tomorrow morning.

All the Best to you and David!!

Congratulations Jess!!

I am so happy for you!!!

Check into whatever alternative insurances you can as soon as possible. My sister had insurance that didn't cover her maternity and was eligible for insurance through the state that covered her prenatal visits. I know you live in Florida so wouldn't be the same as Michigan but check into the government agencies!!!

Again, :P

Sue

Just wanted to add my congratulations to you. From a couple of the comments posted here it sounds like you live near family and a very supportive mother. I hope this can bring you a good measure of comfort that you will have help as you go through this pregnancy and lots of extra love to go around for when there are two children in the picture.

I also agree that you should check into which meds are okay, etc.

What is so nice is that this is such a phenomenal forum and you will be able to keep everyone posted every step of the way and in return you will receive nothing but support and positive thoughts.

Best Wishes

Beverly

Jessica, I just wanted to say congratulations and best wishes. Although I can't advise you on the meds, I certainly hope and pray your health continues to improve as it has been. I am very happy for you and David. Keep us posted on how you're doing. :P

Hi, Jessica--I want to join the others in wishing you my heartfelt congratulations! I do know how much you love being a mom (hey, I've seen your pictures :P ) and I know you were planning on having more children! I envy your youth--and yes, you will find everything you need within yourself, POTS and all, to raise two (or more :P ) children. You have a kind and compassionate heart, plenty of spirit and resourcefulness, and LOVE...more than enough to go around and to share with your growing family. You will "survive" and more--you will thrive! I just know it.

I also want to join the others in advising that you talk to your doctor/s about your current medication regimen. (Talk to both your cardiologist who's taking care of you and also your OB/GYN who'll take care of not only you but also your unborn child). But I'll step out on a limb and say just a little more if you don't mind (as long as you asked!) I guess I want to share a couple experiences:

I was pregnant in 2001 (and miscarried at 14 1/2 weeks--2 weeks before my 40th birthday). My OB/gyn gave me a list of category A "medications" that were known to be safe during pregnancy. (for example, tylenol and tums are OK, advil and pepto bismal are NOT). Drugs.com has this to say: "Midodrine is in the FDA pregnancy category C. This means that it is not known whether it will be harmful to an unborn baby. Do not take midodrine without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant or could become pregnant during treatment. It is not known whether midodrine passes into breast milk. Do not take midodrine without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby."

and

"Fludrocortisone is in the FDA pregnancy category C. This means that it is not known whether fludrocortisone will harm an unborn baby. Do not take this medication without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant. Fludrocortisone passes into breast milk. Do not take fludrocortisone without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby."

I was diagnosed with POTS just before undergoing agressive fertility treatments (in vitro), and I talked with my cardiologists at Northwestern about trying the various medications available for POTS. (The tachycardia was driving me nuts!) They said they would not prescribe these meds for me--and that I should only continue with my fertility treatments if I could get along OK med free should I become pregnant. Dr. Robertson at Vanderbilt said the same thing to me in a phone conversation--and that women typically feel better during pregancy with the increased blood volume. (I agreed that I would not want to be prescribed a medication that hadn't been fully studied for safety during pregancy...)

So while I haven't become pregnant, I'm still chugging along med-free (but I've added those non-med treatments I didn't know about before)!

I know you've been toying with cutting down on your meds anyway--or even cutting them out altogether if you're able to function OK. Of course now you have the greatest and happiest reason in the world to figure out whether or not that will be true for you. No matter what, you absolutely must do whatever is required for you to stay healthy and strong enough to take care of yourself and Ethan! And that may mean staying on the drugs (under supervision) for the duration of your pregnancy. So obviously, talking with your doctors is essential ... It's great that you have support around to help you if you do make a transition in your meds--and also suffer through any morning sickness you may experience.

Wishing you (and David and Ethan) all the best, Jessica. Please keep us posted on how you're doing both physically and emotionally! We're all right behind ya!

Merrill

PS I hope you don't mind my writing all this--I'm kind of a mother-at-heart anyway, and I want everything to be OK for you!

Jessica,

Congratulations!

I had Pots as a young woman. I raised 2 children while living with POTS in a time when nothing was known about it and when every doc I saw told me my problems were psychological in origin. I had no help from the medical quarter.

I did, however, have a lot of help from my husband, but that was all. My parents were dead, and his parents lived well over 1000 miles away. I did it with NO support from family and friends except for my husband.

You can do it. You will do it. It won't be easy. However people with POTS can do hard things, so you have got a handle on it already!

Michigan Jan

Congrats, Jessica! You scare me to pieces!!!!

Like Michigan Jan said, people with POTS can do hard things! You can do it and you will triumph!

As for morning sickness with a toddler, hmm.... maybe you can get him a potty chair and he can pretend to throw up with Mommy. No?

Explain to him that throwing up comes first, just like when he's sick. Give him a good example of making it to the bathroom and not on the hallway rug or bedroom carpeting. Atta girl!!!! Parenting by example!

congrats Jessica!

My cardio and I had a long talk and we decided that it would be better for me and for the baby if I stayed on the florinef. I have tried to go off of it before, even very slowly, and have ended up in the er or calling his office in a panic. He also said that since it is such a small dose, that it should not effect the baby, although I should let the pediatrician know once she is born. I have gained 7 pounds and I am at 25 weeks. I went to the dr. last monday and they said that everything was great, except that my bp was low, but whats new. it was 96/60 or something. So far the florinef hasnt made me gain any excess weight. Good luck! Everything will work iteslf out, you just have to be patient.

:huh:

Hi Jessica

I was away for a long weekend and am just checking in! I was wondering when we'd be hearing about #2. That's great news. By the time the baby comes Ethan will be (hopefully) a smaller handful than he is now.

I hope you feel as well overall with this pregnancy as you did with Ethan.

I hope your cardiologist can answer your medication questions for you and that you can find affordable prenatal care, which is doubly important since you are essentially "high-risk" or "higher-risk". I do think that preeclampsia is most common with first pregnancies, so perhaps you won't develop it this time--I hope.

You will find the energy--it is amazing how we do, some days tho.

Let us know what your doctor says about the medications.

Katherine

Congratulations. That is wonderful news. As far as Ethan is concerned. You will probably be amazed at how much he will actually be a big help to you. Big brothers can be awesome little guys. You are a wonderful mom and I know you will juggle this perfectly. Once again congratulations.

Paige

Thanks everyone for your well wishes! We got confirmation today via blood test, I am about 5-6 weeks along, still very early! I've been taking 1/2 the dose of Pro-Amatine fora few days now and I feel awful. I am so tired I can barely keep my eyes open...I am hoping it's from the pregnancy and not POTS. Just wait till that morning sickness kicks in, I'll be a mess!! But it will be worth it!! I am due around June 19th. I am hoping for a smooth pregnancy like my last one- but at least I know that you will all be here through this to help with support :)

Yay! Great news, Jess! And let's hear it for those pregnancy hormones--if you're super pooped, that's a great sign (hormone wise).

I have a good friend who had 2 children--bad morning sickness with one, zero morning sickness with the other... and both boys! (So those myths about girls making you sicker flew out the window at that point...) Anyway, all that's to say, think positive--maybe you won't experience it this time 'round! It's not a given...and I hope you're spared. :)

m

Merrill- thanks for the encouragement! I hope I am spared too!

The myths about the morning sickness being worse with girls is definitely true for only some people...I was really sick w/Ethan!! I am thinking about starting weekly acupuncture before it even begins so maybe it'll be milder- I've read somestudies about women having high rates of success with that.