Hands Up Who Works Full Time

ramakentesh

I do but it can be difficult at times. There are days where I'd just like to stay in bed and not show up but, being on my own makes that impossible. I have missed 3 days this week because of coming down with the flu and will be out the remainder of the week since I'm still feeling like crap and still running a temp.

marni

I work part-time for one company and spend the rest of my time free-lancing and doing "Mommy-things." I am fortunate in that my part-time employer's son also has POTS and would not have gotten a dx if I had not discussed my own problems with him. Since he sees it at home, he is very forgiving of me at work. They really don't want me passing out in front of a crane or forklift anyway. :( My free-lancing is from home so I have my own comfy, tilting chair and can put my feet up while I work. The "Mommy-things" are the hardest to deal with: stairs, laundry, shopping and cooking just wear me out. Mothering seems to be more upright for me, and therefore harder.

No work for me. Even part-time is impossible at this point. I was a computer programmer...but even sitting upright and having to "function" at a job exhausted me and I could never make it more than 3 days in a row...then I would be in the hospital...it was a cycle for me. I had to surrender...at least for now. But I am hopeful. Erika

I work f/t. I also teach a graduate class one night a week. I get lots of time off b/c I work for a school system--but I've also had to use plenty of sick time, and have taken several leaves of absence for medical reasons over the years--the shortest leave was one month, the longest was 11 mos. I do get loads of help at home with a really supportive partner, and we have no kids, so it's not as hard for me as it is for those of you who have families to consider in addition to everything else.

Nina

I work a full time job that is often more than 40 hours/wk, a part time job, and this is the first few months that I haven't been in school also. I am very grateful for that. At one point I was working both jobs and going to graduate school full time. That was very hard and I was more than miserable.

Now I have to figure out how to pay those student loans back. By this time next year, I'll probably have to take a third job. I wish there was such a condition as "working disabled". I really feel like the perfect thing for me would be to work part time, but I cannot afford anything like that. I don't know how people manage it. If I tried, my parents would probably put me to work anyway. They're German and Irish and that means no one gets bed if there's work within a mile to be done.

Sometimes I dream that I could hold up a post office with a squirt gun and be sent to prison for years. I would get a break with the work and I would live life in a cot. There are times when it doesn't seem like such a bad deal. I'm sorry to be so dismal. I have much to be thankful for. There are just more hard days than easy and some times I feel like I don't have as many choices as I would like.

Kits

Oh, second part of the question.

I have intermittent FMLA to protect me, but if I take any time off- my job becomes more demanding, so time off is not so possible despite the protections.

I don't have children though like Firewatcher. I cannot imagine. You are right, that would be much harder on POTS than a job. I applaud the parent's out there. That cannot be easy.

Kits

I have a full-time job as an RN in a children's hospital. I just finished nursing school in May, and have been working up until the end of September, when POTS kicked me hard and I couldn't get out of bed. I've been on medical leave since then, but have to go back to work in mid-December or I will lose my job. I don't know how people do it! I'm not sure what's going to happen to me. My health is so unpredictable day-to-day... and you can't do 12.5 hour shifts like that, so I'm trying to figure out if there's something I can do as an RN where there is more flexibility and I don't have to spend so many hours on my feet in stressful conditions...

I seriously don't know what to do, and I'm self-supporting...

If ANYONE has any suggestions for me, I would LOVE YOU FOREVER!!!!!

Stacy

I did- as a kindergarten teacher. I was always running around- I got sick at work a lot but I hid it.

I was undiagnosed and I took allergy meds and secretly chewed nicotine gum (never smoked in my life but I had trouble thinking). I would come home and go to bed- Had trouble taking care of my family.

Now I can't work (for the past 3 years). I have to sleep for about 2-3 hours during the day to make it to dinner time.

Stacy RN, have you thought about being an auditor for an insurance company, or research? Maybe your hospital has a research department. You could do IRB work. Also, Risk Management or Compliance are departments that always seem to be screaming for RN's at our site. Does your hospital have an extensive Materials Management department. Ours hires RNs for contract work. There are also non-medical companies that always have to have an employee health nurse on site.

I would not be able to do 12 hours. If anything, I would start your paperwork for intermittent FMLA right now. Then, you cannot be fired for going home early if you are sick, or calling in.

Have you thought about quality management work? Maybe your unit needs a patient or nurse educator...? You may even be able to get into Finance, although I don't think that would match your salary.

Kits

I have a full-time job as an RN in a children's hospital. I just finished nursing school in May, and have been working up until the end of September, when POTS kicked me hard and I couldn't get out of bed. I've been on medical leave since then, but have to go back to work in mid-December or I will lose my job. I don't know how people do it! I'm not sure what's going to happen to me. My health is so unpredictable day-to-day... and you can't do 12.5 hour shifts like that, so I'm trying to figure out if there's something I can do as an RN where there is more flexibility and I don't have to spend so many hours on my feet in stressful conditions...

I seriously don't know what to do, and I'm self-supporting...

If ANYONE has any suggestions for me, I would LOVE YOU FOREVER!!!!!

Stacy

Have you thought about becoming a school nurse? They are always in need of them and the great part is you'd work a 7.5 hour day, have all holidays off, and would also have the summer off too. I am a teacher and it although some days are hard, it really is an ideal schedule for someone who needs/has to work and has POTS.