Hands Up Who Works Full Time

ramakentesh

yeah Todd exactly! Since ive got back from overseas Ive had zero energy with this last and worst relapse of POTS - its all I can do to get through the working day, but once im home i just crash - im behind with housework and my fiancee gets annoyed. Im finding it almost like I have to take time off work just to get my life outside work in order (pay bills, banking etc) My life is work and sleep and relapses LOL.

Everytime I go away camping or for the weekend i feel better but when I get back i feel worse for some reason.

I wish I could just win tattslotto LOL. Life wouldnt necessarily be a dream like the add says in my case but it would be a **** lot easier!!

I have a desk job that involves a reasonable amount of overtime. About 5 years ago, I asked to reduce my working days from 5 to 4. I was lucky that my employer accepted without any kind of explanation.

I can't tell you what a difference it has made. I take Wednesday's off so I only have to work two consecutive days. (I used to find I felt worse on a Thursday as the week took its toll.)

In winter, my work is busier so I sometimes have to go in on a Wednesday. And then I reminded what a slog it is to work full time with POTS. I just end up spending my weekends recovering. But it's more than that. I don't have the energy to take care of myself properly and make decent meals etc, so I end up making myself feel worse.

It is quite easy to objectively measure my productivity at work and I realised that I get more done in a 4 day week than I did in a 5 day week. Not because I used to take a lot of time off (I didn't), but because I kept on going in even though I felt dreadful and just tried to make it through the day.

The other interesting thing is that the bosses at my work have also been pleased with the results. Before asking to reduce my hours, I thought they were concerned about me being unproductive and taking time off. It turns out they were really concerned about my continuing poor health but didn't know how to broach the subject with me.

I know I have been lucky in this respect, but I think employers are becoming more flexible in working arrangements provided the necessary work does get done.

My only other comment would be that if it looks like your POTS is going to last a long time, even if it is possible to work full time, it may not be desirable. Of course there are other considerations to take into account, not least money, but I think any chronic health problem can accelerate thoughts about downsizing or shifting career if it would result in a better overall lifestyle.

It is quite easy to objectively measure my productivity at work and I realised that I get more done in a 4 day week than I did in a 5 day week. Not because I used to take a lot of time off (I didn't), but because I kept on going in even though I felt dreadful and just tried to make it through the day.

Exactly - I tend to spend maybe three hours a day just struggling to keep conscious rather than doing anything overly constructive. A friend with POTS told his boss and now lies down for an hour in the middle of the day which has helped her greatly but I can tell my boss wouldnt be ok with that.

For me time on the job does not equate to productivity. Im a technical writer so when im feeling fine in the late afternoon I do a burst of work and im one of the most productive workers there, yet i do most of my work maybe in 3-4 hours.

Ive thought long and hard about going part time but my mother is dead against it.

Guest tearose

NO, I can't work.

I am fortunate to be able to manage one day at a time. There are days of more and days of less activity but IF I have any extra energy I always try to find some way to volunteer or give some way in my community.

I try to stay connected with the "outside world" by volunteering.

I have a full-time job as an RN in a children's hospital. I just finished nursing school in May, and have been working up until the end of September, when POTS kicked me hard and I couldn't get out of bed. I've been on medical leave since then, but have to go back to work in mid-December or I will lose my job. I don't know how people do it! I'm not sure what's going to happen to me. My health is so unpredictable day-to-day... and you can't do 12.5 hour shifts like that, so I'm trying to figure out if there's something I can do as an RN where there is more flexibility and I don't have to spend so many hours on my feet in stressful conditions...

I seriously don't know what to do, and I'm self-supporting...

If ANYONE has any suggestions for me, I would LOVE YOU FOREVER!!!!!

Stacy

A lot of hospitals offer "Ask a Nurse" hotlines that are staffed by nurses. Would that be an option? Or doctor offices. At least the hours would likely be shorter. It sounds miserable!

Amy

Have you thought about becoming a school nurse? They are always in need of them and the great part is you'd work a 7.5 hour day, have all holidays off, and would also have the summer off too. I am a teacher and it although some days are hard, it really is an ideal schedule for someone who needs/has to work and has POTS.

I'd LOVE that, except I would need at least a bachelor's degree, and I only have an A.S. May have to go back to school online and finish... Thanks!

I also work full time, but like others, work for a university system so I have generous time-off. I'm also a student, and will be applying to veterinary school next fall, which absolutely petrifies me because I have no idea how I will survive it. But I always swore to myself that as long as my two feet were working, I was going to do it. And they are still able to get me up and out everyday. I don't think I will ever learn how to balance. Sometimes I wonder if I had just taken it easy on myself when I first became sick if I would be better now, or would have prevented this illness from spinning out of control. I have gradually improved over the last year, but I am sure I ran myself into the ground along the way.