How Low Is Your Vitamin D Level??

sue1234

How is your Vitamin D level?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My vitamin D is on the low side. It has dipped below normal in the past. I'm rarely able to spend time outside, so that makes it hard to soak up vitamin D. I take vitamin D supplements. I have recently increased my vitamin D supplement (with my doctors okay) to try to get my vitamin D up in the higher range of normal, or at least in the mid-range.

Oh, my memory! I started this because I read this very recent study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21886073

I know we've talked about low iron before being linked to dysautonomia, but now they show a positive correlation(in this study), in their words, to low vitamin D status and "PT, or Postural Tachycardia". Hmmm. Right after developing POTS, a doctor did alot of hormone testing and that was the first time my D levels were tested. The came in low at 15ish. I took the prescription and got the level up to 30, but barely. Still never went up to "good" levels--somewhere above 50 or more.

Recently, I had it retested and it was back down at 21. I am supposed to take my script and get it going up. I think I will take it a little more seriously now that I read that study.

Earlier this year I has mine tested for the first time and it was either 10 or13, I don't remember. I started taking a high dose of a liquid supplement daily and my numbers got up to 100 so I took my dose to a little lower and will have them rechecked soon.

All that to say I checked 10-20

I was tested a few months ago and told my levels were practically nonexistent (same finding 4 years ago when I was last tested). They had me on 10,000 IU liquid or capsule daily and planned to retest me to see if it was working - - I also started gluten free about the same time (few months ago). When I started having this allergic/flushing thing 6 weeks ago, I stopped taking it and my other supplements as I was so worried what I might react to. I think I will start again at least on the Vit D and calcium/potassium/magneisum - - can't hurt and maybe could help with what I'm suffering right now.

Carol

- POTS and likely MCAD (undergoing testing)

I don't know what my level is, all I know it's very low and I have to take Rx vitamin D--and I DO get sunshine and eat lots of dairy. I'm told, though, that low vitamin D is common with those who have Celiac because of poor absorption. Also, before i was eating gluten free, I avoided dairy b/c it made me sicker.

My vitamen d was at 13, six months later I am up to the low 30's. I live in Florida and sun bathe for 20 minutes as often as I can. It's harder in the summer, but I cut my grass on a riding mower when it's cloudy or raining. I live on ten acres with no neighbors and just lay out there stark naked!!!! Now don't any of you coming looking for me you hear!!!!!

Maggie

I ran low also almost non-existent back in 2008.. I had to take 100,000u 3xweek back than and was monitored close til I was decreased and now only take 50,000u a week. I take extra B&C and am thinking of increasing B5s. Vitamins have really made a difference in my health too.

I think that is an interesting study you posted Sue. I just found out I was vitamin d deficient and gluten intolerant 3 months ago and have been feeling better on a gluten free diet and vitamin supplements. I think this is an interesting article on Vitamin D as well. http://gluten-intolerance-symptoms.com/does-early-vitamin-d-deficiency-and-intestinal-flora-cause-celiac-disease/

Does anyone else have trouble with feeling ill after taking vitamin D?? I've tried different forms (the basic one from the vitamin store, a chewable version and a high-potency powder) and to my frustration they all make me feel pretty bad. I eat lots of dairy products, which don't seem to affect me adversely, but I live in northwest England so getting sunshine is absolutely impossible!!! :)

Just thought I would add a few bits of info to this thread. I'm a clinical biochemist, and work in the labs that process vitamin D tests. I haven't read the article, but I will say that vitamin D is a very hot topic at the moment, and there are a lot of conflicting studies and published articles out there. There are also real discrepancies regarding what is considered as a low, healthy or high vitamin D level. What I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't personally focus too much on vitamin D. Statistics show that almost everyone in the UK over the winter months is considered to be deficient in vitamin D. A low vitamin D level is therefore not particularly indicative of anything, except low sun exposure.

It is also important to remember that a person can have too much vitamin D. We see cases of vitamin D toxicity, where a person has taken too many supplements. This can cause far more problems than a deficiency.

Bex, I appreciate you giving us your perspective. For me, I've read too much about vitamin D receptors(VDRs) being involved all over the body and modulating so many reactions. I've read plenty of medical studies showing a causal relationship between low vitamin D levels and certain cancers, such as colon and breast. There's also alot of research showing a relationship of low vitamin D and an increase in autoimmune issues. I have been shown to have almost osteoporosis when I was 45, the same year I had my first D level checked and it was very low. I really think I am going to get mine up, because going up has got to be better than being under the determined range.

I was found to have critically low vitamin D level and was treated with Rx strength vitamin D. Once it normalized, I have maintained on 1000 IU Vit D-3 (plus vitamin D in my Calcium Citrate and magnesuim and vitamin). I do not know the value but do have it checked periodically and it has been reported to me by my Internal Medicine doctor that it remains 'normal'.

Well, I've taken two of my prescription pills so far, and everything is going fine. As I always say, I am the weird one here. If I take OTC vitamin D3, I feel awful. For some reason, I can take the prescription D2 without any effect. No clue why, as I've said before, I react to anything and everything. I will keep updating here every few weeks to mention if I'm noticing any difference. It would be all subjective until I'm retested in February.

i always have low vitamin D in the winter and fall since I have had RA. My Rheumy told me everyone with autoimmune disorders has problems with low vitamin D for unknown reasons. It is intersesting that reserchers speculate POTS is autoimmune in origin. Coincidence? i don't think so...

• 2 weeks later...

I use to live in Utah and my levels were really low, the highest I got was a 27, but it was usually between 6-16. I never could get it to rise to a normal level and I tried for 2-3 years. I moved to the south a year ago and my levels have come up. My doc thinks that the lower elevation has helped me absorb it better and keep it.

Both my levels and my daughter's levels were considered low when tested a few years ago. When my daughter experiened nausea after taking vitamin D, her nutritionist recommended taking her supplement after the biggest meal of the day. The nutritionist said vitamin D is more likely to be absorbed by our bodies when taken with heavier meals (usually higher protein/fat concentration). This method did seem to minimize her nausea. I have nausea all of the time so I cannot tell the difference!

• 1 month later...