Off topic... need to send good thoughts

Hi everybody. I'm feeling like I can't do anything to help a friend of mine--other than rally good energy for her and her baby-to-be. She's been on bed rest for weeks, and last night her water broke.

Her baby girl is only a week from being a "survivable" age with much less risk than right now. This is the same friend that we've been helping by giving her shots all through her pregnancy... and just last year she lost twins (a boy and girl) at about the same time--they just didn't have enough lung tissue to make it. I keep hoping and hoping that the baby will hang on a bit longer. Apparently, not all the fluid came out last night, so it's possible...

If you have the mental energy, please send good thoughts to my friend Stephanie and her baby girl. Many thanks and much gratitude, Nina :angry:

Edited by MightyMouse

Guest Julia59

Nina,

My thoughts and prayers will be out there for your friend. Your right, it does sound like she may just hang in there if her water has not broken all the way.

I have heard of that happening---partial fluid loss----and have heard of healthy babies being born. I feel she and baby daughter will be OK. She just needs to hang on a little while longer.

I'm sure she is in good hands with great friends like you who care so much.

Sending positive energy her way................... :)

Julie :0)

Thank you so much everyone. I will post an update when I hear how things are today. As of last night, she was still holding on.

Nina

I talked to Stephanies parents a little while ago. Everything has stayed the same since yesterday--the doctors are "cautiously optomistic". The baby has gained 4 oz since last Friday, so she's at about a pound and a half right now. Thank you all so very much for keeping them in your thoughts--Steph has been struggling with keeping her mind positive (as you can all imagine), but she needs that now more than ever.

Nina

Good thoughts and prayers her and the baby's way! I want to say Thank You to you for being such a wonderful friend to her. I'm sure that means a whole lot to her and she'll need your support no matter how this turns out, but you already know that. Hopefully this time the support will be with a happy and positive attitude. I hope that y'all are able to have a big celebration at the end of this hard time.

I am learning more and more that you just never know what you're going to get when it comes to pregnancy. Tell your friends we're all sending positive energy their way and are hoping their little one will pull through.

Amy

Guest tearose

Dear sweet Nina,

How good of you to let us share in this with you. I am already picturing this little girl growing stronger lungs every moment. I keep the vision of Stephanie holding her little girl in her arms in a few weeks. I pray for your strength too, and the continued ability to give the kind of support Stephanie needs. You are such a special person, a wonderful friend...that is what makes you a "superhero". With loving thoughts, tearose

I'll be sending Stephanie and her baby all the energy I have. You are so thoughtful to let us share this with you. I'll keep you in my thoughts, too. Deb

Nina,

I'm so glad to hear things are going ok right now. Every extra day that she can carry the baby is a blessing and helps the baby so much. Do you know how many weeks she is? (I only ask because I am an OB nurse and thought maybe I could give you a little insight)

Our thoughts and prayers continue to go out for you all!!

Danelle

I think she's just starting her 25th week... I know the odds get better each day that she is pregnant, and are currently better given that it's a girl, as they have slightly better overall survival odds than boys do. The twins were born at the end of about 22 or 23 weeks. The girl was born first, two days before the boy.

Actually, I know exactly when Steph got pregnant b/c it happened just before x-mas, the natural way, while they were on a vacation in Hawaii. Since we've been the ones giving her all the shots to help with 1) developing eggs for harvesting and 2) maintaining pregnancy once she conceived, we were getting prepared to help her with producing another round of eggs so she could do in-vitro again---and then surprise, surprise, she was pregnant!! She didn't tell us 'til the 4th week, but I figureed it out at about 2 weeks because she didn't drink a drop on New Year's...and she didn't set up her shot schedule with us. :rolleyes: Can't fool a behavior analyst, especially if you do something that breaks a routine. :lol:

Thank you to each of you for you kindness. It really helps... I was feeliing so helpless and this was the only thing I could think of to do!

Nina

nina, prayers and best wishes going to stephanie and her baby girl. both of my grandbabies were preemies and we are praying this third one hangs on a little longer. thank god it's their last one, the stress is awful! i worked in an nicu and it's incredible the things they do for preemies now. we had a gal whose water broke at 24 weeks and they kept that baby in there till 30 weeks, so it does happen. best to them both!!! morgan

Here are the best wishes I can squeeze out for your friend :ph34r:

I really hope everything turns out positive. My best friend had her son at 23 weeks and he is a happy healthy (and very naughty) 4 year old now. Let's think positive and keep us updated!!

I just got off the phone with her dad and here's today's update: they're moving her to a different room tonight as she seems to be more stable and no longer needing constant monitoring. They stopped the magnesium and now she's feeling much, much better and seems to be in better spirits.

Her father said he told you we were all pulling for her and that it cheered her greatly. He passes along his thanks to you all also!

Nina :ph34r:

MM,

Sorry it's taken a little while to get back to you. It sounds like things are going better at this point. YEAH :P The age of viability is typically 26 weeks but then still they baby has a major struggle to make it. However, if she can make it to 28-30 weeks things look soooo much better. And you are right, girls have a better chance than boys. Boys have the most difficulty when born early.

Tell Stephanie to hang in there and that we are all thinking of her and her little girl. Glad to hear she is of the magnesium sulfate. It can make a person feel so bad and lethargic.

On a good note, my sister's sister-in-law had a baby girl at 26 weeks. She weighed 1 pd 1 oz and she made it!!! Yes she had a long road but she is 6 yrs old now and is perfectly normal. She just wears glasses which makes her even cuter :P

Keep us updated, once she gets a little farther along they will probably give her some steroid shots (usually betamethasone) that will help with the baby's lung development if she were to have to deliver early. Also, tell her to dring LOTS of fluids!!!!

Hugs,

Danelle

The baby was born this morning at 1am via emergency c-section. She's 24 weeks and weighs 1 lb 7 oz. She was able to take some breaths on her own but is currently intubated-they've given about a 15% survival rate. Her brain scan this morning was free of any cerebral bleeding (thank goodness). We're all hoping for the best.

As of yet, they've not picked a name, but he nurses keep asking b/c they would like to call her by her name. I'll let you know when I do.

Mom's doing fine and sleeping well. Dad's very tired and sleeping a the hospital, without the benefit of meds like his wife. Please keep them all in your thoughts. Long road ahead.

Nina