how do you escape the boredom of being house bound?

dizzygirl

Hi folks..

I am curious.. for those of you who are house bound.. what do you do to escape boardum?? I mean.. you can only spend some much time staring at the tv before you just cant stand it any more.. and the computer gets just as bad too!! and I'm unable to do alot of crichetting or needle point for more then a few minutes at a time.. and reading is like.. no exsistant!! and I love to read.. but cant see straight or foucs long enough to fully comprehend what i'm looking at.. and the words like to jump all over the page.. and bounce up and down.. (pretty talented letters in these books I read!!)

SO I guess i am looking for idea's of things to do.. that will keep my brain from turning to mush!!

i feel like i am turning into a hermit.. and i need/want contact with society!! and the outside world.. and i'd like to look at four walls that arent in bad need of a new coat of paint!!

I wasnt sure weather to post this in chit chat or here.. so I posted here..

Edited by MightyMouse

hi dizzy,

we've had a GREAT topic on this subject some months ago. i can't really help you out finding it as i can't remember who started it nor the name of the topic. what helps me a lot is colouring. i know it sounds childish, but it helps me to focus and keep busy. i used to paint (watercolours mostly) and draw, read and play all kind of sports.

i like michelle's suggestion though we don't have much books on tape in my country (yet).

i don't watch television much but i love to watch tennis and now the olympics (luckily it's in europe so it's easier for me to watch during daytime).

oh and also i play memory games or try to find stuff on the computer about foreign countries (i LOVE to travel). the latest thing we have are sudoku games on a little handhold gamecomputer (which my husband brought me) but they make me feel nausea B) (don't have a clue why)

hope this helps you a bit,

corina :)

oh and i bought some stuff for scrap booking but haven't got the energy to start it yet

While I'm not technically housebound anymore (I'm taking two classes at UMD this semester against my Dr. Biaggioni's advice)--I spent the last seven months at home. I mostly listened to books on tape, wrote as much as possible, and started a blog. Between the three I stayed pretty busy and still felt like I was making a contribution.

If you're interested in starting a blog I can help you set it up :( They're fun, and a great way to get your voice out there.

Cheers,

Lauren

Hi Linda,

I read more books in 2004 (when I was really sick) than I had since elementary school. I also joined Netflix, so I got to catch up on movies and TV shows on DVD. Now I am addicted to all of these shows that I never watched before! Other than that, phone and internet are really great.

Hope you are on your feet again soon.

-Rita

Thank you for this post! So many people think that it must be wonderful not working, but let me tell you it ain't no vaca thats for sure. :huh: I too am running low on ideas to keep from the boredom.

Nicole

I'm not housebound, but have you tried card-making? Similar to scrap-booking but cards instead. I swear, it is the only hobby that I can do for more than 29 seconds.

Can't crochet/knit/read/sit/rest/etc. but card making is challenging enough (what the heck do I do with all of these papers and stamps and stuff!) and active enough that it fights boredom away. Also, you can order online. Scrapbook express is a good one. I find "Stampin Up" stuff on ebay.

Then, you can either build a monumental collection or give them away and either way you feel good about yourself. I didn't think I would like it- but now I'm convinced that it is the best POTS activity on earth!!

Hi, I paint alot. It's something I am good at and I haven't done it in some time. I stopped drawing, painting, etc. once I got out of high school because of work, but I'm starting it up again! I hope you find something to keep you busy, sure does get boring, don't it?!

Jacquie

Thank you POOHBEAR!!

i just read thru the Hobbies post.. OOOOOHHHHHHHH!! I got excited!! so mayn wonderful idea's rolling thru my head!! and a bunch of sites to look thru.. tomorrow night when I have insomnia and cant sleep!!

NIna I just ordered the free catalog from frremountain.com.. that looks liek fun!!.. mt best freind is realy into beads and making jewelry.. I havea bunch of stuff she has made me.. and I think thtat she will love this as well!!

thank you all so much!!

I spend my time reading, making little crafts with my son, and wacthing tv. ( the last five years I was working any where to 40-60 hours a week, and the reat if the time sleeping so now that I am am home all the time I think I have made a big dent in all the TV show I missed. I love TNT! :) Anyways hope you find things to pass the time!

i have a friend who loves to make cards, so she comes to my house (and when possible i go to her house) once in a while to make cards together.

i also have a friend who takes me to a museum now and then. i find that doing things together is so much more fun!!!! maybe you can find some friends as well that can accompany you on outings or come to your home to do things together. (i met the friends i mentioned at my pt's).

corina :)

hehehehe-- nope I havent frogetten!! thanks!! cant wait to see it! going to look on amazon tonight!! LOL

too bad you ddint live closer! you could come watch it with me!! and we could laugh about how POTSY acting Tom Hanks is!!

HUGS

linda

The thing that works best for me is to keep a variety of stuff going. One can only sit and read so long at one time! I always have a jigsaw puzzle on a table in my living room. I work on it whenever and however long I feel like at the time.

I would like to learn how to bead clothing. My girlfriend is now sewing beads on a pair of my jeans . . .I would like to learn that someday.

I have also just started taking guitar lessons. Have had 6 lessons so far. I do have to leave the house to do this but they are only 30 minute lessons and a short drive from home. So I just move from one thing to another and not stay with any one thing too long.

hey good idea Jan!! I have always wanted to learn how to play the piano.. ever since I was about 3-4 yrs old.. I love the sound of piano music.. LOVE IT!! LOL when I was like 4-5 yrs old I was convinced that I was going to grow up and be a piano teacher...

maybe I can find somebody to give me lessons!! tha would be very cool!