Announcement: Update on husband's cancer

michiganjan

Thank you, everyone who has been praying for my husband, Jeff to get well from cancer.

His latest CT scan shows that his cancer has stayed relatively stable the last 3 months but may have spread a little. His liver tumors were the same except for one that may have grown. He also has a spot on each kidney that have grown--these may be cysts or cancer, however, cysts usually don't grow. The doctor says that this indicates that a remission is not possible with this particular chemo.

Jeff has also developed neuropathy in hands and feet from the chemo, and possibly an allergy to it.

So the dotor is changing Jeff to a new chemo. There is still a possibility of a remission with the new chemo, if it works.

So it is not bad news, but I wish it were better news.

We did not get a copy of the actual report from the scans that were done 3 months ago. I guess the kidney spots were there then, but the Dr. did not tell us!

We do have the written report for this CT scan and there is lots of stuff on it that the doctor didn't tell us. For example they saw calcification of the coronry arteries--Jeff just had a nuclear stress test that was normal. The report also mentions bone growth in places, an adreanal gland beneign growth, and atherosclerotic calcification of the vessels and something called a mural thrombus, which was unchanged since last scan.

YIPES! the things you learn. I will be calling my cousin (a vascular surgeon) tonight to explain these other things to me and what they might mean. Also Jeff has an appointment with the cardiologist as a follow-up to the stress test, so will show it to him, too.

This is sort of a lesson to everyone. Always get a written report of any scans, because doctors don't tell everything that is there and even the radiologist doesn't explain all findings.

Thank you so much for praying for him. It is comforting to me and to him to know so many people care what happens to him (and to me).

Guest Julia59

Jan,

I will continue to pray for You and Jeff to get through this.

Continue to keep the faith------and don't forget to take care of yourself so you can stay strong.

HUGS,

Julie :0)

Jan, I suppose the only good news is that it hasn't gotten much worse, which at least gives the next flavor of chemo a better shot, yes? I'll be thinking of you both. :huh: Nina

Jan,

I was just thinking and praying for you and your husband this morning. Thanks for keeping us updated. I will continue to pray for a miracle for you guys.

Love,

Lisa

Hi Jan, I am going to continue keeping you and your husband in my prayers. Hopefully this new chemo can bring your husband into remission. Don't forget to take care of yourself!

Jacquie

you both continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

keep on hangin in there - i know you both are.

:) melissa

p.s. and yes, don't you love it when the docs selectively give report results?? gggggggrrrrrrrrrr.......

jan,

you are always in my thoughts. just the other day i was hoping you might post an update soon...

i know how much it helps to know that others are there supporting you and holding you up...and please know that you and jeff are in my thoughts and the thougths of so many others on a daily basis...

you have really and truly been AMAZING through this entire process. i have learned so much from you.

are you still doing a lot of work on the puzzles? they are so great!

thanks for updating us,

emily

Last night I talked to my cousin (vascular surgeon) and asked him to explain the "other stuff" in the report. He did and said that it really is a good report. He said that everyone over 50 has some artery disease and arteriolscolosis, but the fact that Jeff just passed a nuclear stress test means he is doing well in the heart disease dept. Also the little clot in an artery is not of concern. He was quite pleased to learn that Jeff's disease is stable.

Just goes to show I shouldn't jump on the worry wagon until I understand what is making me nervous!

There is a risk in changing the chemo, in that it is possible the new chemo won't keep the cancer stable as well as the old one, but if Jeff doesn't try it, he won't know if the new regimen might cause a remission. So ... off into unchartered waters we go, hoping for the best.

Thank you all for your caring. It helps.

To Emily, By Christmas, I had more than 40 stores selling puzzles. I am taking January off because stores are doing inventory. I am using the whole month to clean house--just about the right amount of time for a POTS person! Will go back to work in Feb.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff weathered the first round of his new chemo which was on Friday. He vomited that night and felt sick for 3 days, but today he is downtown Detroit on the Salvation Army Canteen truck feeding the volunteers who are working the Super Bowl events.

He called to check in a few minutes ago and said he felt okay and is having a wonderful time. He will work two more days this week on Super Bowl Events. I am very happy he is able to do this and get out where the excitement is.

I hope he doesn't overdo it today, but so far seems okay.

Guest Julia59

Jan,

That is so cool that your husband is helping out on Super Bowel Events! My husband said the last time the Super Bowel was in Detroit was in 1982. Sounds like he is hanging in there pretty good. You keep hanging in there too. I Continue to keep you both in my prayers.

My brother Joe starts his chemo on Monday. He had the port put in this past monday. He has to do 5 weeks of chemo and radiation both---every week. And then six months more of chemo every two weeks. They are giving him a portable pack for the chemo that he can leave the hospital with.

Take care,

Julie :0)

Jan,

Glad to hear your husband is doings okay. I hope this chemo puts him in remission. He seems like a real trooper. : )

Jacquie