AMUSEMENT PARKS

BEING THAT DYSAUTONOMIA/POTS AFFECTS THE BLOOD PRESSURE AND HEART RATE SO MUCH, WOULD YOU CONSIDER THIS A HEART CONDITION. I AM GOING TO DISNEY WORLD FOR MY BIRTHDAY AND MOST RIDES CAUTION ABOUT "IF YOU HAVE A HEART CONDITION...". I AM NOT EVEN SURE IF I WILL BE ABLE TO HANDLE ANY OF THE RIDES BUT THOUGHT I SHOULD GET THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION BEFORE I GO. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR REPLIES!

BY THE WAY, I FINALLY HAVE MY SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT WITH DR. ABDALLAH IN VA FOR AUGUST 22ND & 24TH.

yes, it is. Use the rides at your own discretion. If you are well managed with meds/support hose/fluids/salt, etc., it might be okay. I used to be a ride junkie, but since my spinal surgeries, it's a big no-no. If I get hurt after a ride, my neurosurgeon already told me I'd have to find a new doctor because he point-blank told me I couldn't ride roller coasters any more. Had to wave goodbye to my American Coaster Enthusiats membership. :(

Have fun at Disney!! Even if you don't go on the major thrill rides, there's still tons to do.

Nina

Hi Chrissy,

I would be very careful as to what type of ride you are going on as you may pass out. Depending on how touchy your blood pressure problem is that is. Before we knew about not going on these type rides, our daughter lost consciences briefly on a ride, it was a ride that was like a centrifuge (spun in circles very fast). She had chest pains after this type ride. Also alot of the roller coasters bother both children. When she has braved it and gone ahead she made sure that she had taken her meds early enough and was very hydrated and ate a lot of salt that day, she ended up still being bothered but not as bad. It just depends on you, each person is different to what degree they are bothered by dysautonomia but I wouldn't recommend it without asking your doc first anyway. The water rides didn't seem to bother them though, I think it was mostly the ones that flipped upside down or held them in a certain position that was similiar to a tilt table test.

I know it's hard to sit and watch others but it's better to be safe than to pay later and wish you hadn't done it. Just check with your doc, he'll/she'll know best.

good luck and Happy Birthday!

Dysautonomia in and of itself is not heart disease. But it is a CONDITION that effects your heart rate and blood pressure. Since the rides can cause changes in either of those you probably shouldn't ride them.

I never heard the final result but just recently a child who met the height/weight requirement on one of the space similation/ gravity simulation rides died at Disney.

I personally wouldn't risk it. I would feel weak enough just being out in that heat this time of year....wouldn't need anything to add to that! Stick with the Winnie-the-Pooh ride :(<_<;)

You're very lucky, I miss Disney World and I went there many times with my family when I was young! I was last there in '98, but I would say most of the attractions aren't thrill rides and there are plenty of things where you can just sit down on a little train or boat that moves at a slow pace (like It's A Small World, etc. ) Most of the Epcot exhibits are like this, so Epcot will be great. With my own POTS I think there are only 2 or 3 things in each park that I wouldn't feel comfortable going on (such as the roller coasters and simulator rides). I don't have trouble riding in cars or trains, so I am sure I could handle the medium-strength rides like Pirates of the Carribbean. I don't pass out, but I know that when I get scared I get really tachy and my heart takes a while to slow down. Personally, I wouldn't want to take a chance with the big thrill rides.

You may want to talk to your doctor and decide for yourself what rides you are comfortable taking. It would really depend on your particular symptoms. Happy b-day, enjoy and be sure to post about your trip!

Guest Mary from OH

My husband took me there for my birthday last year (or was it the year before???) Oh my, a POTsie day!!! Anyhow..... I did fine on all the rides I chose to go on. Keep in mind that we also have a (now) almost 6 year old, so that limited us as to what rides we went on. No real "thrillers". But we did ride one coaster, but it was just bumpy.

I used to be a real roller coaster junkie too!! The only rides I ever had problems with are the ones where you go upside down. I always black out on those. I guess, now I know why!!! LOL!!

Have fun and DRINK LOTS OF FLUIDS!!!!!! Pack your own water bottles!! The water from the hotels is nasty and buying it is a FORTUNE!!!! Splurge and buy the "souvenier cup" that is expensive at your hotel. I think maybe $12.00 or so. But, you get FREE refills on it the whole time you're there!! (from your hotel!) They have Powerade!! Plus our hotel had ice cream, so my hubby would fill his cup with that and coke at night for a brown cow. Our hotel was on-site, so we'd stop during the day to rest and "refuel". It worked out nicely!!

Have a blast!!! We sure did!!

Chrissy,

The thing I like best about Disneyland (never been to Disney World) is that most of the rides are really really fun without being really strenuous. My advice is to be very careful about any rides that look jerky as this may throw you off all day. I went last year and I road the run-away train coaster and was really sorry. On the other hand there was another coaster that was smooth as could be and I did fine. I don't know if I would go on it now as I am worse this year than last, but you will have a great time even without the wild rides. Have a great time!

~Roselover

When I went to Vegas a few years back I wanted to go on the rides and I did, even though my symptoms were no near controlled. I was just at Disneyland a month or so ago and here is what I suggest. Start small and see how you handle the smaller rides. Do not feel bad if you take a break or get dizzy when you get off, just make sure you get off with someone's help. The most important thing is to take it slow and enjoy yourself.

Shelby

I'm a amusement park junkie :) I was born in Ohio and they have an amusement park called Cedarpoint. It's a lot different now then 35-40 years ago :)

A few years ago I made my boyfriend take me to Cedarpoint as it has so many childhood memories. I was pretty symptomatic that day but I braved out some of the rides. I had problems with my feet cramping because of walking. The bigfoot rapids was ok, except for the plateform that rotates as you're getting into the boat. I had problems with tremors that day, I'm sure a combination of walking, standing and sometimes the rise of elevation. I had to sit down whenever there was a line. And by the end of the day I was so tired & dizzy that I couldn't walk out to the car. My boyfriend pulled the car around to the front of the park to pick me up and once I was in it, I was out like a light all the way back to the hotel in Toledo. BUT I had FUN and it was worth symptoms that I usually experienc all the time anyway! :)

I've been to Disneyworld and it's not that bad there. They don't have very many exciting rides unless you go to the other theme parks. In fact, I prefer Disneyland over Disneyworld although Disneyworld is much prettier and a beautiful Green (lawns.)

Knottsberry farm & magic moutain in California are mostly roller coasters and I probably wouldn't do them anymore. I know my limitations B)

Here are a few tips that might or might not be helpful depending on your symptoms.

Use your own discretion. Hydrate really well. Carry the things that are necessary to manage your symptoms. Make sure you hydrate well a few days ahead of time but also make sure you eat and drink through out the day. If it's really hot & muggy (no brainer because of that time of year) you might think about taking some kind of cooling vest with you. Nylons or compression hose heat you up but if you suffer from really low blood pressure I would probably wear them anyway. Becareful of the sugar and save the cotton candy until your home to eat it :) Wear comfortable but cool shoes. Take a back pack with your needs and find a locker somewhere centrally located so you can go back and access it when necessary. OH and don't forget your sunblock because even though it was overcast the day we were there and I did have sunblock on, I burned anyway, especially the time of my head but I have fair skin & hair too. Sorry about being so long winded here :lol:

Have fun and enjoy yourself! :) If you have the energy to live life don't let anyone drag you down, live it to the fullest!!!

Maybe you should try a more easy-going coaster first before jumping on an upside-down one or something really fast. At Cedar Point there's the Gemini, which would be a good basic one.

I vote for living it up. If you can't go on roller coasters, life isn't as much fun. On the other hand, you have to do what you feel comfortable with.

Amy

Disney is a nice family park and I don't believe they make any upside down rollercoasters. The most exciting rides thay have are at DisneyLand and that would be the Indiana Jones, space mountain and the jerky thundering mountain rollercoaster. Disneyworld has less exciting rides unless you go to the other parks.

I too am a amusement ride junkie. Cedar Pointe favorite family vacation. We still go twice a year, but I don't touch the rides. I'm lucky if I can walk the park through once with my husband. I mostly feel like I just got off a ride anyway so why bother :lol:

Anyway if you choose to try, HAVE FUN!!!!!!!

Sue

I go to Disneyworld every year and half or so. We started going when my mom broke her leg 12 years ago and have continued since. I love it! I go on all the rides except the rocking rollercoaster at MGM (did it once and then had vertigo and my family will not let me on it again) and the SPACE one that is a new simulation because they have had many people pass out from the multiple G's of force and then the feeling of no-gravity they get in the ride as well. I go on Tower of Terror because I am personally not scared by it and do not get any discomfort from it. I go on space, spalsh and thunder mountain and get nothing more than queasy (and that is almost never). I find that the worst thing at the park is standing and walking so I use a wheelchair. I bring gatorade that I buy from a store, I plan the entire day in advance, I often take naps, I get ice pops to cool down (although we usually go in the winter when it is cold), and I make sure to have lots of salt. I think the wheelchair is essential! you get to skip some lines too. Mostly, I have to say that almost all of the rides are like a slow car ride, very very easy on the body. Many are for young children. There are lots of fun shops, restaurants and movies to see. I love Animal Kingdom park which is an awesome zoo combined with a park. The ride to see the animals there hurts the back a bit and might cause nausea but I am fine with it- maybe bring a cushion or sweatshirt to roll up behind your back for it. It is definitely worth trying it! It is not scary or anything, just bounces, but there are so many animals that are roaming around. There are several paths of animals in their pens there too who look like they are in a giant field, not a zoo cage. I love that park. Also, if you can afford an expensive but incredible meal (one of the highest rated restaurants in the country), go to the California Grill in the Contemporary Resort. If not, then enjoy all the other things to do there, there is just so much fun stuff.

Leah

Lot's of good advice here. I think you should give it a try. The hardest thing for me is walking or standing in line! I just went to Great America a few weeks ago and had a lot of fun. My POTS has been mild lately.

I did some pretty tough roller coasters. I walked a little funny and had mild symptoms when I got off, but nothing major. The thing was not able to handle at all was the rides that spin. I rough a few out for my younger daughter. But could not do it. My older daughter with POTS was not able to do the rollercoasters last summer but can this summer!

I si pay some for the triop the following week and required a lot of rest, but is was well worth it. Good luck!

Have a good trip

Dawn A

Guest GayleP

Just my 2 cents. I don't think roller coasters are good for anyone, even people who are healthy. They thrash your body and brain around. There are others rides that are just as fun. I did my last coaster ride in 1992.

But again, just my opinion.

Also throwing in my two cents, I guess I also have heart disease which automatically takes me away from amusement parks, but I was shocked to learn how many of you ride roller coasters......wanted to let you know about this news story they did on a girl with completely normal health before a ride heart rate of 65, standing in line hr 114, then on the ride......heart rate went up to 171. The doctor said had she had underlying heart disease she could have had an angina attack, or even a heart attack.......seems pretty risky to me to venture things like this with something like POTS that can't always regulate our beats. Also read another article that said riding rides back to back, or keeping your heartrate elevated in a park is dangerous as well.

Cedar Point is now a fond memory for me, my sister and bro-in-law went last week and took a "flat Stephanie" to make me feel part of the trip :( . At least there is tons of stuff to do at Disney World other than the thrill rides, but please talk to your doctor beforehand and use caution, there are too many stories of people that don't know they have underlying conditions that have major problems.

http://www.nbc10.com/health/4639887/detail.html

Cedar Point is now a fond memory for me, my sister and bro-in-law went last week and took a "flat Stephanie" to make me feel part of the trip  :( . At least there is tons of stuff to do at Disney World other than the thrill rides, but please talk to your doctor beforehand and use caution, there are too many stories of people that don't know they have underlying conditions that have major problems.

http://www.nbc10.com/health/4639887/detail.html

Here is another news story from July 12

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5071201311.html

I used to love amusement park rides. In fact, I would wait in line for the first car on the roller coaster. Now, elevators and escalators can "do me in". When I saw your post, I felt sick. Sorry for the dramatics, but I think that I have indirectly answered your question.

\Bren