A few beers can make me feel better

ramakentesh

Hmmmm...wish I had the same luck with alcohol lol...My doctor told me to avoid it because it is a vasodilator and would lower my bp.

If I'm going through a really good phase then I can manage one glass of wine, but if I take just a few sips of alcohol when I'm feeling bad, I get low BP and arrhythmias. It has to be a rare window of opportunity for me to be able to drink. Just one of the many things I've had to give up due to POTS....but I'm glad you are able to find some relief by drinking a beer now and then. Hey, whatever works, right? :o

Gena

One wine cooler a night has proven very beneficial for me. My legs go nuts when I sleep and this helps calm them down. However, I NEVER drink if I am going to take my Klonopin that night. So, I either take my Klonopin or drink one wine cooler- they both serve the same purpose but I never mix the two.

Carmen

I have never had any benefit whatsoever from alcohol... It actually has made problems MUCH worse for me especially in the years that I did not know what was wrong and so did not know to avoid alcohol.

I cant imagine it could ever do anything good for you since it effects your nervous system, dialates your blood vessels, and dehydrates you... not a good recipe for me.

Im aware that alcohol is a vasodilator in smaller dosages and is also a strong diuretic and drains your body of liquid - both very bad for POTS patients - that's why I was wondering if any one else had experience this. But alcohol is also a strong Beta-adrenagenic suppressor - similar to beta blockers - perhaps this could be why? It doesnt make any sense but Im quite sure it works.

When my POTS initially arrived I also couldnt handle it and would often get a severe autonomic serge for the next few days after consumption. But now all i seem to get is the beta-adrenegic benefits.

Whereas even a sip of coffee and Im so dizzy i cant stand...

If indeed primary POTS was caused by depressed reuptake of norepinephrine causing over stimulation of the autonomic nervous system and dilation of arteries (causing reduced blood flow to the brain) then all in all it may suppress the beta-adrenagenic system and perhaps lesson pots - but ofcourse the hangover is actually caused by a stimulation of the nervous system in withdrawl - so it would have the opposite effect.

Weird...;

Yes i have found a few beers can make me feel better. When i first got sick i could not tolerate alcohol as my liver was quite toxic, now its alot better. Its a bit hit and miss though as sometimes i will feel so much better from drinking and other times i will feel worse. I have put it down to the fact that my mucles relax so i am able to move and rest much more easily and also the vitamin B in beer may help my body for some reason.

Maybe its just aussie beer! hehe

Guest Julia59

Can't drink at all now---and I used to be able to handle quite a few beers. Not really proud of that----I did a lot of partying in my younger years. Now I can't tolerate even a few sips of alcohol---none. I have had a half of beer before after POTS and didn't get too terrible, but alcohol--( like maybe a sip of a margarita is bad news). My heart will race, tremors, bloat----just a big fat mess. Once I had a glass of wine----a couple of months after my neck surgery. I was doing a bit better then, but I still had rough time after drinking one glass of wine.

It's like my body thinks it's poison.

Julie :0)

I can tolerate a drink or two, but I ususally feel sluggish the next day. I think I get dehydrated, but it also may be that my tolerance is shot. I have decided not to drink for a while, because it's just not worth it. I do feel temporarily better while under the influence, though!

I'm far from an expert on the matter, but my doctor and neurologist don't seem to think that a couple of drinks harmful in anyway, in fact they have both told me, it is great for helping you to relax and unwind - of course be mindful and realise your limits, especially if you have hypovolimia (sp?). If you have read my previous posts, you will know the trouble I got into, even drinking within the guidelines.

Apart from my problems - I am an advocate of any treatment, so long as it is legal, and makes you feel better, even if it is only temporary.

I know for me, if the night is right, I can almost feel normal - so long as I don't stand too much, but the recovery is much, much, much longer than it used to be, and it doesn't take that much for me to get 'happy'. Well, at least it's a cheap night!

My advice, so long as it feels good, and you are not doing anything either legally or morally wrong, go for it!

Oh, and I should add, don't wear a kilt and walk through a dark carpark at night - there are some real ______ out there!