Hot Baths

Mrs. Glass

I just wanted to ask if anyone had worse problems while and after taking a hot bath? I have always taken hot showers and baths, but last night when I did, boy was that the wrong thing to do! It seemed like my symptoms got 100% worse, I kept putting cold water in the tub, and letting out the hot water, but could never get it cool enough. I felt like I was going to pass out. My head was spinning, I felt nauseous, and I just knew that I was going to pass out. I was even shaking all over like I had the chills, but I was so hot that I could not stand it. I finally called my husband to help me out and went to bed. Needless to say I did not sleep very well, and when the symptoms let up at 3am I finally got up. It was scary! I have always used baths to help me relax and now I can not even do that anymore. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, or am I just wierd or something? :P Vanessa

Edited by Vanessa

HI, your definately not alone there. I was in the shower a while back and I began to feel funny, by the time I made it out my body was numb and I had lost almost all of my eye sight and it was very scary!!!! I dont know if low bp causes it or what. Now before I shower I make sure to eat something light and drink alot of water just so my blood sugar is okay and I also am somewhat hydrated....dont see how I could not be gettin enough water....I drink so much of it these days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you feel better soon...seems like even the simplest things in life are hard to do.

Not weird at all, Vanessa! :)

I went the lukewarm bath route -- not nearly as refreshing as a hot shower :D but that was all that I could manage safely (I did not need to go fainting in the shower on top of everything else! :P ).

I prefer showers, but a bath only took me a day and a half to recover from as opposed to the three days a shower cost. :(

On meds I'm now able to shower again and use a bit more heat! :)

Angela

OMG cant belive this popped up.

I used to lvoe coming from work, taking a bath and going to bed. I cant bath on my own no more. Soon as i sit down i start getting tachy, and yesterday was out of this world. I sat there, i stood up to rub sope on my body and started getting a raised HR and some heartbeat skips, i sat down and had to get out, i thought i was gona pass out.

I havnt been able to bath properly for about 3 years. Happens all the time. I used to shower in my old house but i mooved back home and have no shower.

Im so glad someone brought it up as i get it all the time, i thought i was stupid thats why inever mentioned it.

I usually sit on the edge of the bath, wash my legs and bits, rub bath soap on a flannel or sponge and lather it on my top half, i jump in for about 30 seconds and wash it. I wash my hair quickly and wash my face in the sink where i can stand up.

Yes. Any type of heat--water, outdoors, sauna... will dialate your blood vessels and draw blood volume to the surface of the skin to try and cool you off. In so doing, it will lower your blood pressure as some blood volume is now being shunted to the skin for cooling as opposed to having it just freeflowing in your veins and arteries. I used to pass out in my shower before I was diagnosed and on meds.

Nina

The same thing happens to me when I sit in a hot tub.

Just last weekend I was at a friend's house for a party. I was in the hot tub because they turned the temp. down for me. When I got out, I was standing up, and I passed out. Luckily, my cousin was there and he knew what to do, but hot water is not a good hting for us.

yep, this is the norm (for me & mostof us). nina's explanation of the "why" can't be beat.

it's annoying though b/c i'm always cold so WANT the hot water & yet it's a disaster waiting to happen. i can only take showers while seated, no baths. and i don't shower as often as i used to b/c it simply takes too much out of me. i have just as much trouble, though of a slightly different variety, with cold water. my first blackouts ever were actually prompted by being in a cold pool. i do best with the middle of the road.

so...you're definitely not alone on this one...

B)melissa

I don't have much to add but wanted to say "me too" just so you know how common this problem is.

One thing I do now that it's getting colder weather, since I can't take warm baths or showers anymore I do try to warm the bathroom up a little using a small ceramic heater just so i'm not freezing coming out of the bath or shower. Also, I will throw my towels in the dryer so I have something warm to wrap up in. I am able to tolerate this much better than being in warm or hot water.

Occasionally I can tolerate a warm bath early afternoon (my best time of day right before I start declining again) but I cannot handle it early in the morning or late at night.

I dont take baths b/c a hot bath or Hot tub can activate my Lyme disease, but when I take a hot shower I definetly come out of it feeling not so great and I can see the blood has left my face...then a few minuted of being out , the blood will return. So I knoe it does something to trigger the POTS stuff...... Just one more fun thing huh??!! :D

Hi.. yeah..Nina's explaination of hots baths is perfect!!

My docs constantly tell to make sure that I dont take a hot shower or hot bath... b/c of dilation.. to take cool leukwarm baths... and hat if I do take a shower to use a shower chair..

I think that the shower is like one of the coolest things!! and I use a handheld shower head that detaches from the mount of the wall.. so that helps too...

I too dont tkae a shower as often as I used to either.. b/c I get most of my syncope spells in the shower or right after I get out of the shower.. or while standing ther brishing my teeth.. :D .. so I even sit to brush my teeth now...

:)

According to my doctor this is an interesting issue.

The vast majority of POTS patients are worse when they hot - particularly in a hot shower or bath for the Reason Mighty mouse has described.

But there are patients - such as myself that it actually benefits - i feel better after a hot shower or bath - feel better in very hot and humid weather and my symptoms are worse when im cold.

I also get cold hands like raynauds - perhaps some of us just over constrict? A true Hyperandregenic version of pots (where the autonomic nervous system has poor noradrenaline uptake and there is no venous pooling issues would most likely result in a hyper constrictive state from what i can gather)

If I'm super cold and really want to take a bath, sometimes i run warm water and then stick my legs out onto the edge of the tub to elevate them and avoid over heating. Then when i get out i "take my consequences" so to speak and lie flat on the bed till i feel better. This isn't good if i'm really symptomatic, but can be a nice treat on a "good day."

Kristen