Chores And Pots

Kate2011

POTS and Chores  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, odd question but I have a really big problem with daily living skills since my symptoms started acting up again.

Laundry, making my bed, and just picking up things on the floor when I straighten my room are especially BIG problems for me. The bending, sorting, standing, folding, moving from washer to dryer (especially) all cause some really serious lightheadedness and near fainting symptoms (I loose my vision mostly - it just tunnels to dark and I get really off balance). I don't usually pass out, but it's not out of the question either.

Does anyone else have these issues? What do you do to cope with them? Do you have a method that helps at all? I'm willing to try anything at this point. :-/

Kate

Doing dishes would be the worst for me I think. I guess because I have to stand still the longest, however, I am having trouble keeping up with housework period due to fatigue. My house is wreck right now, I just get bare minimum done and it's very frustrating!!!! I wish I could hire someone to clean!

When I did laundry, bending to get the dirty clothes out of the hamper and then trying to get the laundry out of the dryer would knock me out. But I no longer can do laundry because I cannot get to the machines. They are in the basement and I cannot do stairs at all. A set of stairs can cause symptoms for weeks. I still think this is more than the POTs.

The heaviness of pushing the vacuum can sometimes cause problems. I do think this has slowly gotten better as I have regain some of my weight and strength. The bending and stretching make it difficult for me to make beds, this also was worse last year. When I am having flares I cannot do straightening of the house because of bending, but on good days this is not a problem, as long as I don't have to lift or move anything heavy.

Funny enough, I am the opposite of boymommy and dishes are the easiest for me. Well, when I do them in the sink, if I need to unload the dishwasher it can cause problems.

This syndrome makes no sense whatsoever! LOL

Loading and unloading a dishwasher, cleaning cat's litter, taking something out the oven and any activity involving bending are the worst for me. I'm glad I have teenage daughters to help me with those.

I sort dirty laundry sitting on the floor, fold and iron while sitting on the couch. I haven't figured out a way to load a dishwasher without bending.

I can't keep up with housework in general. I used to decorate for every season, now just keeping it clean is a challenge.

i would vote mopping and vacuuming, hate the noise of a vacuum and can't wait to get rid of carpet and this insane grooved tile I have; after mopping we have to get on hands and knees and clean all the little grooves! who came up with that idea???? laundry isn't as bad, and loading the dishwasher i can handle except my bf is super anal and sometimes takes everything out and reloads it to his taste. We have had many arguments over how to fold towels, he finally came around to my way of thinking tho, its the half wrap long way then 3 fold. he used to fold them in squares and they were too big for the towel closet LOL

straightening bedrooms, well i am teaching my son to pick up his mess before we get another project out. so when that's under control, there really isn't much mess to clean up other than the other items on your list:)

Laundry is the worst: Despite my best efforts to reduce and energy conserve there's always some amount of: stair usage, carrying, repeatedly bending, repeatedly lifting arms overhead. I get my family to help me with laundry and even on my best day I feel some level of symptoms. I swear I can smell the tiniest bit of gas from the dryer. It's just a pain.

I bought a rolling stool for the kitchen that I sit on to do cooking, dishes, etc. and another regular stool in laundry room, makes a world of difference. Also squatting always, never bending is helpful. I had to give up vacuuming etc, since it always sets off my symptoms. Hope that helps.

What rolling stool did you get? I'm having trouble finding one tall enough to do anything with. :-/

Someone actually recommended I get a wheelchair to use in the house. Has anyone tried that?

I have a stool as well, have had it for years. It's a little different as it has a "saddle" seat. LOVE it!!! I can use it for cooking, (un)loading the dishwasher (though usually one of my boys does that), preparing meals, use the oven and microwave and even when doing dishes at the sink. Did I say I love it? :)

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-adjustable-mechanics-seat/p-00951164000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

This is the rolling stool by Craftsman that I have. It is for mechanics, so very sturdy, but cheap at $19.99 from Sears! I've had it a couple of years and the quality is great. I have used mine when I need to pick things up off the floor when cleaning. My house tends to get "messy", as I clean when I have a wave of feeling better than usual, which can not happen enough.

I employ a cleaner fortnightly. I am no longer capable of physical effort to clean. house is not spotless. the day to day stuff like making beds is tough but I manage. cooking is the thing that does a real number on me. standing too long brings on brain fog (and often trigger migraines) and makes me dangerous to myself. burn myself with hot water or on hot dish from oven or, my favourite - walking into the open cupboard doors ive forgotten to close after getting something out of them.

blue

• 2 weeks later...

I've learned to do things when my body's cooperating. Some weeks this means a couple times a week, other times it's every couple weeks. Slow movements, particularly when bending over to pick things up help. What really gets to me is having to reach for something above my head.

• 2 months later...

I posted earlier in the year and just wanted to update, I can now do very little chores. Only things at counter level or sitting level where I don't have to bend or lift anything even a little heavy. Sigh. Husband has said to not do anything until we can get into the doctors to see if there is more going on POTS.

I have a cleaner that comes in every fortnight to do the bathroom, kitchen, vacuuming and dusting. I can't do any of those jobs anymore.

Laundry and tidying and dishwasher stuff I can do slowly through the day.

Most food shopping is done over the net.

It's food preparation and cooking that makes OI and migraine worse. I've tried different things but I just can't stand up to work at the benches, cutting veges etc, stirring on the stove, bending to oven. I've tried a stool but even with my feet not dangling down --- propped on the rungs -- I still feel bad and make myself worse. I'll also get brain fog too -- recipe for breaking plates, burning myself on stove, cutting a finger when chopping. I'm a danger to myself in the kitchen. Although I take the chance 5 nights a week to get hubby's dinner made. My diet -- vitamin wise -- is suffering because I can;'t eat the foods he likes to eat and he doesn't like the food I can eat. I could not cook two different meals a night for anything. It's beyond me. So I cook his dinner on work nights and just make a very unhealthy and quick snack for myself and take a couple of vitamin tablets. Then I'll snack on during the evening. Sometimes I think those vitamin tablets are the only thing between me an malnutrition. despite being fat.

blue