Finding The Bright Side Of Pots

autumn

There are so many threads about how much POTS ****, but since it's not going anywhere, I've tried to find some positives about it.

1. I LOVE salt, and people have always been on my case about how much I use -- "It's going to catch up with your blood pressure one day!" But now I'm supposed to eat up to 10 grams a day (I don't even come close), and it's nice to have a doctor's permission to use as much of it as I want.

2. I am so not an athletic person. I never have been. I would use every excuse under the sun to get out of running in gym classes, playing sports at camp, etc. It's nice to have a legitimate reason as to why I can't participate in a lot of the activities I've always hated.

3. I've made friends who also have POTS and have similar limitations. It's nice to spend time with people who get it.

Have you found a bright side of POTS? Let's be positive. smile.gif

(1) I'm allergic to yeast which is in almost everything, so everytime someone tries to get me to eat something that looks gross or smells bad, I have a good excuse of why I can't eat it. :D And if it's obvious it's something I'm not allergic too, I can just say it will flare up my GI symptoms.

(2) I have a good excuse not to donate blood (I've always been scared of donating blood!)

(3) I never get stuck blowing up balloons for birthday parties.

(4) I'm the only person at my cardio in town who has POTS, so if I call with a question, I ALWAYS get a call back from my doctor, himself.

(5) I have a good excuse to bring salty food and drinks with me wherever I go (Church included ;) )

I enjoy the little things and the simple things that most take for granted. I am thankful on days when I'm able to drive and even walk around at work without feeling like I'm going to pass out.

I can eat as many chips as I want. I need the salt and the weight :)

POTS is teaching me to listen to my body not my stubborn ways. Now I have to sit down when I'm tired, eat when I'm hungry, and drink when I'm thirsty. Also this wild ride has brought me closer to God and all of His glory as well as shown me who my true friends are.

. . .and the salt is always a bonus!!

I've learned to slow down and breathe!! I had *endless* energy before pots & was constantly racing around. Don't think I'd ever have learned to meditate if not for this journey. I'm also more patient with myself & others. And I relate to what kayjay said about her kids being more compassionate for others - I am too now that I know all about what having an "invisible illness" is like. Then there's my family - while most of my friends totally dont get it, I can't believe how much my parents & brother are willing to do to help me!

Great thread - and much needed!!!

I used to teach yoga and "preach" about living in the moment. I figure this is God's way of making me "practice what I preach".

It can be a source of endless humor and teasing by my kids and co-workers. Like today at work when a co-worker said "ok, back to the salt mines" and all the other people in the office looked at me and said "Oh, maybe that should be your new career. Working in the salt mines might be just what you need."....and various other comments to the same effect.

POTS has taught me to appreciate the little things- like being able to push my grocery cart thru the store while standing up straight instead of leaning on it and shuffling along like a 90 year old. Made me happy all day the first time I could do that again.

It's let me meet a lot of neat people all over the world thru this forum. It's taught me more about the autonomic nervous system and endocrine system than I EVER wanted to know. It's shown me I am blessed beyond measure by my friends, family, co-workers and (some) doctors.

Nice thread. Thanks for starting it.

thanks for bringing this up autumn, i really love to look at the bright side of things though i know there are deep holes as well.

best thing for me dealing with this illness is that my hubby found me this forum. it has meant the world to me. to meet people who understand was amazing as i felt quite alone with all these strange symptoms. also this illness gave me some very special friendships, i wouldn't have found these friends otherwise. i've learned to never ever take things for granted anymore.life is a gift and i am determined to make the most of it one way or the other.

corina :)

Guest tearose

Appreciation for like minded people, that I found here! We didn't ask for POTS or dysautonomia, we only ask for the strength to manage it.

I had to learn more about being an advocate in a diplomatic way. I learned more about my body function than I ever imagined.

My children and family learned to become more sensitive and compassionate.

I became more spiritual.

This all has led to my deepening of my faith in the Divine and that has strengthened me and helped me find a loving way to give to others.

This is a great thread. It's so easy to get caught up in the negative and start to get dragged down. I can think of two positive things:

1) I had an unusually good day today. (Best I've felt for over a month!) Feeling so lousy makes me so thankful for days like today.

I used to take feeling good for granted. Not anymore!

2) Something I've always struggled with is taking care of myself and always putting everyone else before me. POTS has helped me

learn to give myself permission to take care of my needs and not feel guilty about it.

What an awesome idea to start this thread. With my two POTS kids we have discussed from time to time the blessings in disguise that have come our way due to POTS. With all the negatives, it definitely helps to spend some time focusing on the positives. A few of ours...

* It has given my kids a wisdom beyond their years and has given us all the ability to appreciate and treasure the little things.

* It has helped me be far less judgmental than I used to be.

* We have two of the sweetest, lovable "pups" that we got for each of the kids when they were at POTS lows. They are a special part of our family and we

can't imagine what we would do without them.

* Because of this long journey that we have traveled together, I have an extra and special bond with my kids.

I was feeling down on myself yesterday shopping with my mom for school clothes for my son because I had to use a wheelchair. My mom said she would give anything to be able to shop and have someone push her around the whole time lol. My son also enjoyed getting to "help" mommy by pushing. Although I saw it as a bad thing, it really was nice to have that option to go out with my mom and son. =)

• 8 months later...

I know this is really old :), but I have just been thinking lately that if this had never happened to me I would probably never have enough empathy for sick people, sick people's families, people going through hard things, or just people in general. I guess it is kind of a blessing in disguise because whenever I find myself judging anyone now, I stop and wonder what they are going through. So even though I'm still/ have been struggling for the past few years, I think Im starting to understand "why me" now, and I think it's making me a better person.

Beautiful observation Puppylove.

I think it in some ways opens our eyes up to others universe - we aren't just tuned in to ourselves - but we can notice, respect and care for others. It teaches us things like endurance, long suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, love, joy, peace, mindfulness ----guess what people those are some of the fruitages of the spirit that the Bible tells us are qualities that we should develop. It's sad that an illness will help us to develop those qualities ---but, it really does. For me, I've had periods of really, really bad - like nearly dying bad . . .it's made me appreciate the little things in life and being glad for another day of living and trying to never take things forgranted. That's what I intend to do - not let life pass me by - but with whatever strength I have to LIVE it and find joy and beauty in every day.

It might just be sitting in my porch swing feeling the sun on my skin - or enjoying just sitting there swinging and feeling my calves pump up - ever so slightly with blood from pushing back and forth. Seeing a dove and watching it drink water from the bowl I have sat out for them and listening to them coo when they are happy. Watching a lizard on the wall - run and then puff himself up when another lizard comes in his space. Looking at a weed grow on the ground and then flowering and it's puff of fluffy white - floating off into the air to grow more weeds. Waiting for sunset - still in my swing - and watching for the little tiny bats to fly overhead and catch minute tiny insects that I can't see. Hoping that our big hoot owl will come around - so I can get a better look at her. (I live in the city - and this is a rarity - but, we have one.) Swimming in my pool at night and looking up at the stars and see one fall - wondering where it will finally end up. So many things, little things - that we really don't stop to enjoy. This is what life is . . .these small things that bring us joy. These are things we can see and do with POTS. Some of us have a very special loved one in our lives . . .some will one day - those people we should never take forgranted and appreciate them and show them that we do. Appreciate the small things they do for us. Don't forget to express your feelings to people . . .the world needs more love and kindness - how will they know how you feel - unless you tell them. Oh, there's so much more - but, I guess you see - despite this illness of ours - we have a whole lot to be thankful for and so much around us to give us purpose and joy in life. We just have to take notice of them.

Issie

You are all such beautiful and amazing people!!! What wonderful responses. As soon as I was diagnosed with P.O.T.S i started keeping a gratitude journal for my illnesses.. I had been sick for quite some time before "kind of" DXed- we knew it was autonomic anyway. Later at Mayo I learned there was more to it than P.O.T.S. I spent a whole day in my hospital bed, crying and feeling sorry for myself. Before I went to bed, my nurse gave me a hug and said she was so sorry- such an odd illness, not a lot of answers,and she said she would pray for answers for me but also a positive attitude and finding a new passion that was compatible with each stage of my illness.

The next morning I started my journal- that was my first passion. I could hold a pen, notebook, and think- not always clearly :) but I could think of how this had made me BETTER. I know it's hard for all of us- but my Type A Personality with LOTS of childhood and first marriages issues I'd never dealt with we're just waiting for me. I was sure my Type A came from that- I never wanted to face the abuse so if I was always busy and running around, I never did. So I could type forever but I will give you my favorites:

* Faced the abuse that took place in my childhood and first marriage- and realized how much more I appreciated my new husband because I had been through such trauma. I know I would still love him had those issues not occurred but not realizing how blessed I am to have a husband as giving and loving.

*Became a MUCH better Mom (although I'm very sick and bed bound so go back and forth on this. Because I miss out on so much) but prior to this illness I HAD to be Supermom. I did a lot WITH them, TOOK them a lot of places, cooked, baked, house was always clean, and I did everything- that's biting us in the butt now. But I think back to all the times that the kids had something to tell me, or show me. It was always: "Just a minute, honey" or "After I finish this paper." Was also in full time grad school. I have a new gift that I believe God handed me on the POTS platter- PATIENCE. I never had it. Efore- but with these illnesses you'd go crazy without some degree of it and I have it for my SIX kids. Because I'm in bed all the time :( I am always there to talk to, cuddle with, or just be together. That is a gift that I wouldn't trade for all the world. And it's taught my kids empathy and the importance of being healthy.

* I have so many more- but I will just share one more. The nurse who prayed for me- she was my guardian angel, I'm sure of it. Not only have I always had hobbies that fill my day that make my days fly by... I will often look at the clock and not believe its already 3pm!!! But I'm thinking of life after Disability. I am passionate about Families and how they function- especially Blended Familes" because that's what ours is and I know I've learned so much to share with others. I definitely wanted to work with medical patients as a Patient Advocate. I'd love to do this in a volunteer fashion and most likely, in the insurance area somehow. I was in the med. insurance field for 10 years and have heard it all. I always felt that because I personally cared- the whole industry must. After becoming a patient with a serious disease and trying to deal with this company- who EMPLOYED me- and just screwed me over at every turn. If it was so hard for me I imagined how others might struggle.

Beautiful idea for a thread!!!!!!

Jen

I love this post!

1) I LOVE salt...now I have a doctor-approved excuse to eat lots of it!!

2) I have a great excuse to not have to give blood (although I give enough in labwork ha!)

3) I have a greater empathy for others with unseen illnesses

4) I have learned to research and become a very active advocate for my health with my doctors and helping others do the same when they get brushed off

5) I am more in tune with my body

Can I post on here..I don't have POTS anymore, but I'm very sick with orthostatic intolerance and autonomic neuropathy, mast cell and hypermobility. I had a terrible case of hyper POTS for about 3 or 4 years and couldn't stand up for more than a few minutes or even sit at the table to eat. I feel for all of you!!!!. I read every post and you are all incredible. Beautiful heartfelt stories.

This has caused me to build a better relationship with God. Also, I don't take one healthy moment for granted. Trivial things that I used to think of as so important are so silly to me now. I've seen a different side to my husband and it has reaffirmed after 25 years, I've married the right guy. I appreciate having health insurance which I wish for all.

Chaos, your post made me laugh so hard!!! I appreciate being able to push a grocery cart too. That was one of my worst issues and still gets me some days. I never thought I would be so excited to make it through the grocery store without the ambulance coming. IT's lovely to be able to buy groceries!!!!!!

Maiysa

i am thankful for a supportive family, my best friend and husband that has to drive me anywhere i need to go and takes awesome care of me. for my tini chihuahuas i got when i was completely bed bound for a year. i am thankful my kids and my self are learning patience not everything needs to be done yesterday! ha ha and now trying to learn to live on what is needed and not wanted on a new slimmer budgett!