It Looks Like My Drinking Days Are Over

I gave up drinking in public a while ago, and would only drink if we had people over at home so that I could go to bed if I wasn't feeling well. Last night we had people over and I had one shot and half a Woodchuck and I feel terrible today. I used to be able to drink most people under the table but I guess those days are over.

How do you guys explain to people why you don't drink if someone asks? I get asked this a LOT because I'm in my mid-20s, and it's hard to explain why you won't have even one wimpy drink. I feel like "I don't drink" makes it sound like I'm pregnant or a recovering alcoholic or something, but "I can't drink for medical reasons" probably opens up more questions than it's worth.

Hi

I can't really drink more than half a pint of lager, anymore than that and I get terrible vertigo the next day. So I just avoid drinking now.

My favourite excuse for not drinking is I am on anti biotics, that usually shuts people up and they don't ask any questions!

Rach

Ok you Youngins,

Us Seniors also have this problem too-LOL. Just learn to order a drink or have it in your hand before anyone gives you a chance to know what you are really drinking. Substitute with non-alcoholic beer, a plain coke, a virgin bloody Mary-get lots of sodium, etc. Don't hesitate to tell them you are on medication-usually that puts an end to it. One other suggestion is try to find a drink by process of elimination that may agree with you and not cause any symptoms. I drink a watered down glass of wine (Pinot Noir) -1 glass on holidays & occasion, sip it for a very long time and it seems to passify everyone. Hope this helps.:)

I know how you feel, my party days are over too. Before developing Pots I used to be a party boy going to raves every weekend, indulging in illicit substances and having the ocassional drink and smoke but soon after developing POTS I found my body would no longer tolerate any of it, not even in a miniscule amount. My life changed drastically and I had to leave all the fun things I loved behind me. Nowdays I can't even tolearte my pain medications due to my sensitive ANS and just as you even a a few sips from an alcoholic drink gets me feeling flushed, feverish, tachycardic and unwell.

I just be honest and tell people I can't drink due to medical reasons. No shame in that.

Love your reply Mwise, really made me giggle! I no longer consider myself a young'en but I will accept the compliment! LOL

The vertigo I get for twenty four hours after even just a small tipple, started years before my POTS stuff really raised its ugly head - although I do believe that I've had POTS all my life just at a more manageable level. Now it just takes a strong drink and I have vertigo, its just not worth it any more. Although sea sickness tablets usually put me right.

If anyone asks what the antibiotics are for if I am in a good mood and the person hasn't annoyed me because they are drunk I usually say its for a dental abscess. If they have annoyed me or I'm feeling a bit naughty I usually say an STI.That usually shuts them up quite quickly! LOL

Rach

Before I got the Pots dx I was told because of my neuropathy I must never have a drop of alcohol... I was only a social drinker, but it scared me to bits. I usually BMOB of Trader Joe's sparkling blueberry juice to events and fit right in. The past two weeks since being very ill since January my feet and hands won't stop falling asleep and must call the doctor.

I had the best drinks a few weeks ago and came home and felt horrible! It was the week I quit florinef and maybe dumb for me to have alcohol but my cardio said I was better so I was celebrating, lol.

I promised myself I would never drink again and it makes me sad because I really enjoyed a drink now and then. Oh well.

It's all in the glass to me. I like a pretty glass to drink in. I'm funny enough!!!!!:lol:

I suppose I'm one of the "lucky" ones that can tolerate half of a wine cooler or a glass of wine sipped very slowly on special occasions. If I keep it to that minimum, I don't usually have any repercussions, although I probably imbibe about 5-6 times a year. Luckily I was never a big drinker, but I certainly enjoyed a glass of wine a night. I do miss that.

Hi Sue1234, I've had a cathecolomine test but not specificaly pheo, but having a quick check online I don't seem to have the excessive sweating found in pheo as I can't sweat at all. Do you by any chance have Pheochromocytoma ? and if so what symptoms does it cause you?

I totally hear you. My tolerance has been dropping at a pretty regular pace over the last few years. I can still drink a couple beers if I'm willing to spend the next day feeling kind of cruddy. I'll get a wicked fast heart rate. I can control it with my beta blocker, but it's not something I really enjoy.

One of my closest friends is a big partier/drinker. She just can't wrap her mind around me not wanting to go out with her (and get wasted) every weekend. It's frustrating.

I feel your pain on this one! im not long diagnosed (April 2011) but have known for a long time that alcohol doesnt suit me...after many ruined nights out wit me being ill after only 2-3 drinks and hadto be 'brought' home! Cant count the amount of nights mates thought my drink had been spiked or id drank too much as i was being carried out....was v hard to convince them i had only 2 drinks and alcohol affected!!!!

I Find its one of the harder things to cope with...i had hoped when i found out what was wrong it would be remedied and i could get on with enjoying my college years...however not so with POTS :(. Im not the most confident but love gettin out for a night and a dance with my b/f and friends.... usually 1 drink would loosen me up enough to have a dance and im not bothered with alcohol much after that :) i find it so hard going out now and not having a drink but feel so bad if i do cos the affects are usually pretty awful and last for a number of days so its just not worth it!

But does anyone find that different types of alcohol suit them better than others? I have always found that if i drink brandy ( Doesnt make sense i kno as its so strong!!) I feel pretty okay when drinking it and much better the next day than if i drink cider/beer/wine etc??

I find that I can drink Red Wine only and in small quantaties. Sometimes it actually makes me feel better for a little while AND it is the only thing besides the bathtub, that warms me up. Usually my hands and lower extremities are ice-cold to the touch, but give a glass of wine and finally they turn semi-warm. I usually sip a glass of water (no ice) along with it. As long as I only have 2 glasses in about 4-5 hour period I am fine...Any more and I'm sunk. Feel Lousy :( All other alcohol even white wine does not go very well either.... Hmmmmmm, is anyone else like this? I haven't ever tried Brandy???

This issue makes me uncomfortable too at times. I took for granted in the past the ability to drink alcohol. I have to say I never enjoyed it hugely (probably b/c it did affect me a little before development of significant POTS symptoms), but now I really cannot tolerate more than a few sips before feeling poorly. I do not usually go into any explanation except perhaps with good friends if there is a reason to talk about it.

Guest tearose

How to explain to others who you may be with and are drinking...

If they even notice, I say I am very sensitive to alcohol and prefer not having it.

If I want to have some wine, I find mixing 3/4 part seltzer to 1/4 part wine is good and 4/5 seltzer to 1/5 wine works fine too.

I usually say "I have low blood pressure and alcohol lowers the blood pressure so I don't want to faint." The other response I use is "I am on a medication that I can't drink with." The only time I get questions is people seem amazed that anyone can have low blood pressure. I think most people know there are tons of meds people shouldn't drink with.

alcohol has always been fine for me and ive found that sometimes its stop me getting over stimulated in busy environments. There are a few patients that find it is well tolerated or beneficial. Just goes to show how different forms of POTS can be.

I often wonder how often people believe they cant do something becayuse they are told that it will automatically make their POTS worse. i avoided if for ages when I got diagnosed only to find that - as per usual with POTS - what I was being told was based on very little evidence and an incomplete understanding of the pathophysiology of the condition.

Another thing I think people have to weigh in is how much medication they are on...Drinking and meds really don't mix very well. Some people who like myself suffer with low BP at night time wouldn't want to fiddle around with anything that may lower my BP any further. even though I do my best to fill my tank. I lose most of it. My dog senses when I really low and wakes me and I have my cooler by the bed or stashes right in bed with me. I really don't care anymore as I've listed before above. I just keep thinking of things as others list things and people continue to offer me drinks where ever I go when I finally do get out.

To each his own, just play it safe all my dear friends ~

I love you all ~

Bellamia ~