Some good stuff to share

MightyMouse

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share that I have passed my comprehensive exams ;) GIANT sigh of relief and exhaustion. I still have about a year to 2 years left to complete my Ph. D. Passing my comps means I'm now permitted to begin the dissertation process.

The second thing is this: to celebrate my 40th birthday, which was otherwise spent fretting over my exams, we're taking a vacation to Mexico--Playa del Carmen--for Christmas. It's just far enough away from Cancun to be more relaxing. The place we're staying even has a Zen garden and has yoga and tai chi classes. Just my speed!! Right now it's in the mid 70's to low 80's each day. I've purchased one of those personal cooling systems from Sharper Image, so I hope that'll be enough to keep me cool enough to do some of the day trips to the acheological sites.

I can't tell you how relieved I am right now. I don't even care that I'm still sitting her in a hard neck brace. It's so nice to have less on my plate right now :blink: Thanks to all of you for helping me get to this moment.

Love and hugs, Nina

Dear Nina,

CONGRATULATIONS! That's amazing progress.

You will just love Playa del Carmen. We stopped there for a day off a cruise last December and fell in love with the place. We arranged for a private tour of Tolum so I wouldn't be even more stressed. Make sure to purchase the tram both ways to and from the ruins--it was very hot. I wore my australian neck wrap. And bring plenty of salty snacks and cold drinks. And a large sun hat. There is a Subway at the entrance but it was the worst one I ever ate at. Also Mexican time for meals threw me off that day--I was expecting lunch at my usual time (12 N) but the original guide wanted to have lunch at 3 p.m. Hence our own tour guide, fairly inexpensive.

Guest tearose

Wow that was quite a step! Now the PhD is even closer!

This vacation is coming at a good time. Enjoy the history and Zen garden, all sounds so relaxing...recharge your battery.

This is wonderful news, thanks for sharing it.

Best regards, tearose

Passing comps and completing a Ph.D. program is an amazing accomplishment for even those in superior health. That you have embarked on this journey with the various health challenges you face shows amazing courage and tenacity. I have no doubt that you will complete and successfully defense your dissertation, and we will be addressing you as Dr. Mighty Mouse in the near future!

Best wishes to you - and bon voyage!

RunnerGirl

Nina,

Congratulations! I am always impressed by reading your posts in how you are able to juggle work and school, and give so much to DINET, all while dealing with POTS and other health issues too. It is inspirational to many of us who hope to become more active someday. I hope you have a wonderful and relaxing vacation (although I am very jealous)! ;)

-Rita

Thanks all--it doesn't seem quite real yet. (the vacation or passing the test) Maybe it's because nothing has really slowed down the much here? I have my final exam in statistics tomorrow, work's been busy too.

BTW, I'm doing okay with my neck as long as I keep the hard brace on. I still have numbness and odd sensations, but not the pain I was having last week. So, I suppose that's another item to add to my "good stuff to share" list. :) I am hopeful I'll be able to enjoy my holiday without having to wear the brace all the time. I've been able to get a few hours in each day without it. Still have a week and half 'til my neuro appointment.

:) Nina

Nina,

Congratulations!!!! That is quite an accomplishment! So much work goes into getting a decree, so to manage it in spite of all your medical maladies makes it a hundred times more impressive. You may have mentioned it, but what are you studying?

In addition, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! As my father would say, now that you've made it through the first 3rd of your life, the fun can begin. :) I'm sure this is a vacation well earned, and Mexico is just gorgeous. Who are you going with? Make sure to take some pictures for us to see!

Adios :) ,

Ayelet

Nina, you are one amazing woman!! I admire you, your strength, courage, and attitude so much! I only wish I had a portion of your "spunk". I used to but is has dissipated over the years. That is my fault though.

Congrats are definately in order and I hope you have a very wonderful holiday season and get some relaxation that you well deserve.

By the way, I LOVE my bracelet! The ONLY time I take it off is when I shower. My husband wears his everyday too. I will be ordering more soon for other family members. Thanks for all you do. You are fantastic :)

Thanks again for all the nice words. Really helped me keep going tonight--I'm completely wiped out. I took a my final exam in advanced statistics; I have NO idea how I did. I want to go to bed right NOW... but have some things to do first.

I'm so glad you all like your bracelets. I love mine too. <_< Makes me smile every time I look at it.

Nina

Sarina, nope, my degree will be in educational psychology & special ed with an emphasis in behavior analysis, but we're required to take at least one advanced level stats class. Sorry, I don't know your friend, but I'm sure my professor (Dr. Roberge) does. He's been in the Educ dept. a long time--and is a great guy.

Nina