Pots Doesn't Have To Stop You Succeeding

I just wanted to share a happy day with everyone, really. You may all know that I took a bit longer than the other people on the course to finish because I spent so much time in hospital, but I did it- finished! And yesterday was the graduation ceremony, so I thought I would share some pictures of the big day with you.

I hope this helps anyone who feels like POTS stops them from living life the way they want to. It might affect when you do the things that matter to you, but keep pushing, and POTS won't stop you from doing them. I was so sick that everyone thought I should drop out- there were days when I never, ever thought I could work or write a paper again. But keep trying! I did.

graduation07026-1.jpg

graduation07033-1.jpg

graduation07049.jpg

graduation07029.jpg

Guest tearose

My dear little persephone! How can it be? Wasn't it just last week you were in tears and going home to rest? All those trial and tribulations and look at you now! :angry: You look so happy and professional in your gown and standing before the uni!!!

You made it!

I am so happy for you dear!

I sure hope you are going to celebrate a lot!

Okay, so now I am on the edge of my chair...what is the next adventure?

Have a lovely day! :blink::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

with joy,

tearose

Congratulations!

The photos look wonderful - and the sun came out to congratulate you too! I can't believe that Oxford can look so great in early March, it is raining up here further north.

One of my friends graduated from Oxford and told me all about the graduation ceremonies, it all sounded so special and traditional. Your parents must be really proud of you!

I guess your current challenge is your DPhil. How far into that course have you got? I suspect a lot more hard work is on the horizon so have ((((((HUGS)))))) for doing so well and to carry you on to the next step.

Flop

:angry::blink::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wow, i knew you'd do it, again you've proved to be an inspiration to all of us with such strength and determination through the worst of times. You're right pots won't win - we will. So proud of you - all of my family send their love. Would have a drink for you but i have the worst hangover ever and think if i smelt alcohol i'd throw up!!!

As soon as i have a job and have some money i'm coming to visit, then we'll celebrate!

Congratulations again, your parents must be so proud.

Lots of love and hugs

becky x x x

WOW, you and your mom look so similar. My friend and her baby boy are like twins too...it's cute! Both your parents must be so proud.

Congrats!

Very inspiring for me, I'm still chipping away at my Bachelors that I had to drop junior year due to pots. Doing it Distance Learning now. Be done next year, hopefully!

What's your major?

I hope you continue to move ahead with your life goals, and never stop learning and growing!!!

Peace,

Masumeh

Thanks everyone! This was my second degree. I did my first at St Andrews in Scotland, and then my Master of Studies degree in Medieval English Language and Literature at Oxford. I'm now working on the third degree, which is a phd (D.Phil as they call it) here in Oxford, too.

It is the hardest thing I've ever had to do - there have been so many challenges and I set a precedent through being given so much extra time, and having to go home and into hospital frequently when I got really sick. But I passed with a Distinction in the end.

It can be so toughwith the brain fog and the weakness, all aside from losing consciousness and physically injuring myself when I fall -- but it is worth persevering.

Persephone,

Congratulations on achieving your dreams and perservering despite your limitations.

I don't want to minimize your accomplishments in any way b/c for anyone, sick or not, they are a BIG deal. Getting a masters or a doctorate is a huge accomplishment and I am very proud of my friends who have pursued them.

However, I think it's perhaps unfair or unrealistic to say as a general statement that any of us can do what you have done if we just perservere. This is the second time you have posted a topic with the same title. And, I have to admit it stung.

Some of us are so sick that willpower alone could never get us through school...or many other things. Willpower for me means getting dressed, getting through the day as best I can and staying as positive and hopeful as I possibly can.

However, I must balance my tendency to be cheerful and optimistic with my reality.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade. But please remember that each only walk in our own shoes and we only know our own reality of limitations from POTS or another form of Dysautonomia.

We celebrate your successes and are proud of you. Please, however, remember that no matter what, some of us want to be out in the world right now and simply can't be.

Emily

CONGRATS for a job well done! I wish you the best, brightest future ahead!!

Jacquie

WooHoo, Persephone! Nicely done! You should be so proud of finishing your Master's degree. I did mine through Distance Learning, and even that was hard. I too had many extensions and those dreaded talks with my professors. When I think of you sitting in an uncomfortable classroom in those awful seats... it must have taken every ounce of energy you had to do it! I am just amazingly proud of you, and it does show that for some of us, life will go on again, even if not right now.

I think your message is one of hope, joy, and inspiration. If my heart rate wouldn't shoot through the ceiling, I'd give you a standing ovation for your perseverence, spirit, and willingness to keep going when the outcome felt grim. Yay for you! Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! and YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY woohoo yippee kiyae! :angry:

Celebrate like crazy and pamper yourself like a princess. You deserve it!!!!

Did I mention...? YAY!!!!!!!!!

:):D:lol::):D:P:):DB):):DB):):DB):):DB):):DB)

Congrats!

:):DB):):DB):):DB):):DB):):DB):):DB):):DB)

I am so happy for you! Thanks for letting us know about your great day! Looking forward to keep hearing you succeeding in the future. It's so nice to hear good news! WAY TO GO!

Amy

Persephone,

I think it's perhaps unfair or unrealistic to say as a general statement that any of us can do what you have done if we just perservere. This is the second time you have posted a topic with the same title. And, I have to admit it stung.

Some of us are so sick that willpower alone could never get us through school...or many other things. Willpower for me means getting dressed, getting through the day as best I can and staying as positive and hopeful as I possibly can.

Emily

Hi Emily. I never said that that everyone could do what I did if they just persevered. What I said was that if we persevered, POTS need not stop us doing what matters to us in the end.

And what matters to us is always different for each person! I needed a lot more than will power alone to get my degree. I have a special bed, a wheelchair, a walking stick, three personal assistants, college accommodations, special ergonomic furniture in the libraries, and as you'll remember from my posts when things were really, really bad- I had to have extensions on every single piece of work I did for the course. Doing my degree was my passion, but I know that everyone has different interests they want to pursue.

The point I'm trying to make is that we can work round POTS sometimes- that adapting and altering things isn't the same as failing. And that life goes on despite POTS.

I wasn't trying to sting anyone! :lol::P

I was trying to help people to avoid feeling as sad as I have when I have felt POTS is conquering me while I'm in the POTS holes B)

Tanti auguri, bellissima!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope your new term is going well. So are you teaching at all this time, or strictly going to produce an amazing work over the next few years? :lol:

Take care!!!

Well done you , my illness didn't stop me either and many , many years ago I managed a degree .

It is one of the hardest things for anyone who has POTS to achieve ( as well as having a baby that is ) but worth all the effort and you must be feeling like I did then ..............stuff you illness, I can do everything I want to with my life .

Congrats to you .AMI

Well done you , my illness didn't stop me either and many , many years ago I managed a degree .

It is one of the hardest things for anyone who has POTS to achieve ( as well as having a baby that is ) but worth all the effort and you must be feeling like I did then ..............stuff you illness, I can do everything I want to with my life .

Congrats to you .AMI

Cool! WHat was your degree in and where was it from?

Guest dionna

i don't know where i got the impression from but i thought you already got your master's! silly me. when i saw the topic i thought someone brought it back up from a while back ago. lol. i am happy that you were a lucky one and got to push through. right now i wouldn't be able to do so... everyone keeps telling me i need to go back to school but i am like emily... i struggle just trying to make it through the day! oh yeah and congratulations... silly me... i am having a lot of brain fog today. lol. :P

dionna :)