Have You Even Been Discharged Right After You Just Fainted?

Ernie

Hi,

This is the second time in a row in 2 weeks that I am beeing discharged either from the ER or from another department within 30 minutes of fainting.

2 weeks ago I was at the ER and they did the regular blood work and of course everything was normal. They did not check my adrenaline level! So they discharged me while I was paralysed and I had nobody to take care of me. I was lucky that an aide came to my rescue and put me in a reclined position in the ER waiting room until I was able to rcall someone.

Yesterday they were going to discharged me 30 minutes after I had fainted and my friend said that we would go to the ER and the cardiology department decided to keeep me for a few more hours and rehydrate me. So I got 6 L of IV since Tuesday morning. My friend asked that I be sent home in abulance because I could not take a car. They offerred the disabled transport. I accepted thinking that if I can't handled the movement I will ask them to stop and go back to the hospital. When the adrenaline surge started I asked them to turn around and go back to the hospita. The hospital refused to take me back and the driver said he had to drive me home. Well, I fainted 2x lying flat in my whieelchair in the bus because of the bumps on the road rising my adrenaline so high that my BP crashed. My friend was with me and they had to stop the bus x2 on the higher until I regained consicousiness.

When we got home the driver told my friend that I am too sick to take that kind of transportation. I told him right after he had driven one block that I could not handle the ride but he did not believe me!

Do you have this problem of being discharged while you are not transportable?

What are my options?

Thanks

Ernie

I don't know what to suggest but over here in the UK they probably wouldn't even have given you the disabled transport; they'd have said if you can leave, you can make your own arrangements.

Your treatment- or should I say, lack of- *****. I wish I could be there to give you a big hug, Ernie, you must feel awful.

Thinking of you.

Hi,

Maybe I am not asking the question properly. I will rephrase.

What do we do when we are discharged and we are not in a state to go anywhere? (because I will faint again within minutes of leaving the ER and paralyze)? because the doctor believes that I can go home "safely" or he does not care if I live or if I die!.

Ernie,

They should not have discharged you with you being so weak. Have you thought about talking to a lawyer? I'm not suggesting you sue (yet) but at least you could find out what rights you have as a patient. I'm pretty sure here in the US ER's can't turn away patients, but I'm not sure if it's that way in Canada.

((((HUGS)))))

-Lauren

Hospitals here turn away patients all the time if they dont' think the situation is life threatening.

Obviously the idiot doctors did not recognize fainting, repeatedly and it's risks, nor recognize the paralytic epsisodes.

But here I do know of horror stories of patients sent home all the time w/o THE PROBLEM being taken care of. You can go to the same ER two times and one time get lucky, and get a great doctor on duty.

The next time, get a jerk idiot. Happened last summer with an elderly relative....couldn't believe it was the same hospital.

When we tried to say she couldn't go home as she was not with it, the hospital said they would send her home in police car and TURN US INTO THE FAMILY AUTHORITIES!?!? So they threatened us and the pt DID HAVE INSURANCE.

Thankfully, she was transported to a nursing home for 3 weeks where the doctor there found the real problem that NEVER would've been fixed at the HOSPITAL even tho she was in there twice for several days . He fixed her and discharged her.

It was a nightmare.

Erin,

Sorry to hear about you last few vists. Have you talked to your family doctor? It's really sad how badly things have gotten in ER's.

I hope you start feeling better soon! :)

Ernie,

So sorry to hear about your experience. It stinks that if the labs come out normal the docs just send us home based on what the labs say, and not on how us, the patient is actually feeling.

I agree with talking to your PCP or even someone with authority at the hospital. Isn't this categorized as some type of negligence??

Jacquie

This has happened multiple times to me. It really *****! it is such a helpless feeling. Now I have multiple diagnosis though and several meds. We take a list of diagnosis' and meds with us to the ER and get much better treatment when they know more what they are dealing with. I had no diagnosis before. I still get sent home but they make sure I'm more stable first.

I think th eproblem is that if they see you have a long term condition, their snse of urgency disappears- oh, it's happened before, THEREFORE you will be fine- if anything was going to happen to you, it would have by now?

Presumably yor obs were ok when they checked for the last time?

Or maybe they didn't believe it was real?

Stooooooopid doctors.

Last week I was sent out of hospital about an hour and a half after a reaction to Cyclizine that caused utter dystonia in me- I was making no sense, couldn't swallow or anything. But once it wore off, I was out! It was probably a good thing though, because I know that they don't have a clue what they are doing.

What is it you hope to achieve by going? Can they treat the paralysis? Had you injured yourself when falling?

i fainted 3 times and got hurt the first two times so my officers made me go to the emegency room to cover their bottoms. well by the third visit to the ER, the department told me to not ome back to the ER again for that day even if i kept on fainting! the doctor told to just not be stupid and climb a ladder and faint from a high distance. i have been discharged many times after just fainting but i also went to the ER every time i fainted because i had to. believe me i was ready to go as soon as they would let me even if i was about to faint again. i don't know what your rights are but if you wanted you could tallk to a lawyer or you could talk to a patient's representative at the hospital that you were at as maybe a free starter. i wish you luck.

dionna :)

Hi,

Thank you everyone for your support and suggestions. You are helping me find a solution. I have been on the phone all morning. I have called different places but the most receptive so far is the hospital ombusman. He is a retired doctor and he will look over my case. I explained that I have a rare disorder which is not taught in med school and the ER doctors don't know about it and the blood work they do in the ER always show that I am fine but that I have blood work that proves that I am severely sick. So I will write him a letter and fax it this week-end and the secretary said that she will give it to him first thing next week. I told her that I dont't want to complain about the ER doctors (because all my ER stats are within the normal range) but I want a protocol established where I will have a treatment plan for my condition and not for another "normal" condition. So she said to write it down in my letter.

Then I called my insurance company and I asked them if they would cover the ambulance from the hospital to my place. They said they don't unless it is medically necessary. So I explained my situation and what happened yesterday and he said that it seems that I might fit the medically necessary. So he will check with his boss to find out if I need a recommendation letter from my PCP or a paper from the ER doctor every time I am discharged. I told him that if they expect a document from the ER doctor when they discharge me it's going to be chaos because the ER doctors have problems dealing with my rare disorder. So my insurance is suppose to call me next week.

I am glad things are rolling.

Thanks again for your help.

Ernie

Ernie

Thanks for the update. I am glad you are trying to get things changed. It takes SO MUCH ENERGY just talking and explaining "this disorder" to folks who know nothing about it. I bet the phone calls and letter writing wear you out.....but it's good you are doing it.

Keep us updated.

Ernie---sorry I haven't responded sooner---as i'm not on here as much as I used to be. Anyway ------I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am that you were treated so poorly-------------it's just not human.

I have heard of a couple people in the states being kicked to the curb from the ER in pretty bad shape---with very low BP---tachycardia----not able to eat---severe weight loss ect. I just think it's the disorder-----they don't understand how severe this can get------they are ignorant----and sometimes very heartless. In Your case however, I just can't believe, that after fainting and paralysis-----and out you go----and yet on a bumpy ride home.

I have sort of lost my gumption lately fighting all this ignorance----there are times I feel rather hopeless.

But not to worry--------I'm just conserving energy----------there will be a time and a place.......

I just have to gather my thoughts----- and build a new strategy. Your my inspiration Ernie-------your a brave person, and I hope that this doesn't happen to you again.

Big hug to you---

Maxine :0) I'm scratching my head-----I just can't figure out the mentality of some of

these medical folks------------------pinkpantherscratchinghead.jpg

wow ernie.. you certainly have a horrid time with the hospitals near you dont you?? my god.... I cant say that i am surprised that they discharged you..

as...I ve dealt with some horrendously crappy medical treatment myself.(summer of 2005 i was discharged for the ER when my BP began to drop.. and i was starting to have a severe i do mean sever allergic reaction to meds.. I was not able to sit up let try to walk out of the Er.. yet they booted me out.. i had to find myown transportation.. which turned out to be a cab.. I had a delayed allergic reaction to a medication.. which turned out to be severe anaphelactic reaction.. i dont honestly know how i am still here today.. but i am.. devine intervention i suppose..

but i can feel for your situation ernie.. and i really hope that you get soem help and answers with this.. so sorry that you had to deal with that ernie..

i agree with waht maxine said.. you are a very brave person.. my goodness..and strong too.. you hang int here ernie.. and i hope that your medical care in the future will not be filled with such ignorance.. and blatant disregaurd for a human life..

BIg Hugs

ernie

Hi Ernie,

I can't speak from experience, but it certainly seems ridiculous on their part to declare you fit to be discharged at such a point. Do you have to sign something, or don't they have to, to get you discharged, and does it say anything pertinent to any problems you might have post-discharge?

I know that here if you come into urgent care, you cannot leave without being seen, because it could cause them potential liability problems. It is so irresponsible on their part to make you leave when you're so sick. The only thing I can think of would be related to legal issues, and I'm sorry I don't really have any advice as to what you can do at the point they discharge you even when you're obviously not well... I mean, i'm sure you're already protesting as much as you physically can... I'd guess that you'd have to be considered stable, though, to be discharged... hopefully next time there will be SOMEONe there on your side who will see and admit that you're not stable. I'm so sorry you have to go through this, and I am hoping that it doesn't happen again. :)

It is a sad state of affairs for the health care system when hospitals are sending people home 30 minutes after fainting. I would think that at the very least, they would give you a place to lie down and tell you to take your time. But when people are being pushed through like an assembly line, I guess what happened to you is to be expected.

I don't know what you can do re: transportation. That's a tough one. I think doing what you're doing -- exploring coverage for an ambulance to take you home -- is a good idea. Although will the driver have to take you back if you faint on the way home? I would think the ambulance company would not want to have that liability, which then puts you in a catch-22.

I wish I had more answers and less cynicism, but I don't. Sorry you have to deal with this, Ernie.

Amy

ernie,

what more can i say??? i am so sorry that you are treated so poorly. but i am proud of you that you started things rolling. you are like i am (or is it like me, sorry brain fog!) : never give up, trying to solve the problems that sneak into our potslifes!!!

wishing you much better days to come ernie,

corina :)

Hi,

You are all so sweet to encourage me.

You are right. It takes so much of my energy to try to figure out a solution. So I have decided that I will not have any tests for the next 6 months or so to give my body and mind time to rest. During that time I will find a way to get better treatment at the ER and better transportation home.

When the doctors discharge me I never have to sign anything because my ER tests results are normal so I would like to stablish a protocol for my disorder, one in which the doctor could not discharge me if my adrenaline was above a certain level. The ER does not send home epileptic and diabetic while they are having an attack so I don't see why I should be sent home while I am having my fainting/paralyzing episodes and my life is at stakes.

Love

Wow, what a mess. It sounds like you're doing a really good job of setting up a solution. Just one more thought -- would it be useful to get a statement from the driver of the disabled transport van who said you were too sick to travel that way? I realize he's not a doctor, but it seems like something the insurance company should know when they're deciding whether to pay for an ambulance home.

Good luck.

spike

hey ernie.. well that sounds like a good plan... I think its a good idea to give your body a rest for a bit..give it some time to recover and and get balanced out.. or as balanced out as you can get with all you got going on..

best of luck to you ernie dear.. and i do really hope that those paralysis and fainting episodes decrease for you.. take care dear!

hugs

dizz