Allergies So Bad

Allergy Season is here and worse than ever. Normally I wouldn't hesitate to take something, but now with pots syndrome I'm a little worried as far as the side effects. I do have an appointment with my pots doctor in a week, but for the time being I was thinking about taking something over the counter for the time being. What experiences have any of you had? Any suggestions for me?

Hi! sorry tohear about the allergies. they are very bad in mo. too. I would ask dr's office and or pharmacist before trying anthing off the shelf because of possible drug interactions. I was like you a couple a weeks ago , pretty despperate. I take zantac and no flonase twice a day. still have a little problem but much better. Be real careful. don't wan't you to upset the bp since allergy pills do dehydrate.:-)

I know some POTS people take Claritin over the counter but I would really, really check with your POTS doctor first. I tend to have bad reactions to almost everything over the counter. I take Zyrtec and Singulair for my allergies, which was prescribed by my allergist and the doctor overseeing my POTS approved them. I live in Florida, it's allergy season year around here for me. I'd really check with your doctor before taking anything.

hi Blondie!

i too am leary of all drugs...and have been using a product called "SIMPLY SALINE" that my doc told me about. 'tis a nasal spray....to clear nasal passages and sinuses of allergens.

bought over the counter....no drugs...thus--no drug interactions....etc:0)

also, found a product @ http://www.natlallergy.com/connected.html which you use to wash bedclothes with[just need tiny bit per load].....called DE-MITE LAUNDRY ADDITIVE.

both have been helping me greatly!

hope this helps...God Bless!

best regards, Maggee

I have allergies and POTS. I am also multiple chemical sensitive and have unusual reactions to even tiny doses of medicines. I have been going to a good allergist for more than 10 years now. She has worked with me to develop an allergy program that gives me good control. I use claritin, singulair, and asetlin nasal spray every day all year long. I add pulmicort all winter and spring (winter for breathing the cold air, and spring for pollen induced asthma). In the spring pollen season, I also add rhinocort nasal spray, benedryl, and mucinex. And yes, I take all of the above during the heavy pollen season, in addition to my beta blocker and other meds. However this was done very carefully by a doctor who checked on the interactions as we went along.

I did not begin taking all those meds at once. The allergist has worked with me to try things, combine things, and add things to the mix gradually. All that time and experimentation has been worth it because now I have good control and I tolerate the meds I need to keep that control.

Dr. Grubb once told me that people with POTS who also have allergies really need those allergies under control. Control is different than taking rescue meds once symptoms have started.

I highly recommend working with a good allergist until you get control. Then learn what other meds you might need for breakthrough symptoms and furthermore, learn about when those breakthrough symptoms are likely to happen and preempt them with the extra control at those times.

Remember that some allergy meds speed up the heart, some can cause arrythmias, some can dry up your saliva, and some really knock you out. A good allergist that LISTENS to you and gets a grasp on your problems and needs can combine that knowlecdge with her knowledge of the allergy meds available and choose wisely. i.e. I cannot use rescue inhalers for asthma . . . the propellant gives me asthma! So my goal (and my allergist's goal for me) is to have such good control that rescue meds are unnecessary.

I also told my allergist not to choose any meds for me that speed up the heart or cause arrythmias.

Some people with POTS who have experienced problems taking meds do not want to take anything for allergies until it becomes really necessary. This is NOT the way to go. If you have allergies, get an allergist and get a control program worked out and keep working on that control program until you get it right, then stay on it.

Just a note about Claritin. I bought it otc last year and me and my 14 year old daughter took it one night and I remember feeling really awful on it, can't remember what though! And my daughter woke up the next day and her legs were so stiff she could barely walk! I was ready to take her to the doctor then read in my pill manuel that it can cause muscle stiffness as a side effect. So I sent her to school with instructions to call me if it didn't get better, which she said after a couple hours it did. I do ok on Zyrtec, that is prescription only. I am highly sensative to meds too.

Guest Belinda

I would like to 2nd on what Michigan Jan said...reallly ask your doc or find an allergist..I am very sensitive and have taken many of the OTC remedies only to have some ;) nice reactions..and some doc will tell you it is okay to take something but remember you know your body best.if it says it can make children agitated realize it may make you this way too as many of us are sensitive to drugs more than normally..

At this point I am taking Nasocort and saline..no systemic ones for me..and definitely Dr.G told me I too have to get my allergies under control they are making things alot worse for me.

Good luck dear...Belinda

I take Flonase or Nasonex seasonally, plus, if the allergies get really bad, I add in Allegra. It's the only Rx drug that works for me. I do not find that these drugs worsen my POTS; in fact, I think not treating the allergies is worse, because I end up with a sinus infection, and then my POTS gets really bad.

Amy

I swear by cromolyn sodium (Nasal-Crom). It is not an antihistamine, it is a mast cell stabilizer. It makes the mast cells less likely to release histamine. It is a nasal spray, but it is not a decongestant. It is not habit-forming, and it doesn't interact with anything that I know of, so you can use it in combination with other things. It's available over-the-counter. It will take a few days before you'll feel an effect from it, but it really helps me during juniper pollen season.

http://www.drugs.com/cons/Nasalcrom.html

I have three dogs and I'm allergic to them...but I love my pups and wouldn't have it any other way. I use the simply saline spray that was mentioned here previously.

I tried Nasonex several times, but it continually dropped my blood pressure to the point that I could hardly stand up. Not good.

That Nasal-Crom looks interesting. I may give it a try.

Michelle

Oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my allergies are sooo bad! They are absolutely wiping me out.

I agree with what Michigan Jan said--it is important to control the allergies b/c they can affect the POTS so much--both of my POTS docs have told me this. And, right now, with the tree pollen my POTS is really acting up even though I am trying to avoid it, it's virtually impossible.

Our dog thinks it's a good idea to plunk down on the porch right in the midst of the piles of tree pollen and then track it in the house.

Anyways, questions:

1. Saline Nasal Spray-- for those of you who use this--how do you do it? Just two squirts or something once a day? I used it a long time ago, but forget how to use it.

2. Michigan Jan--if you see this--you are super med sensitive like I am--did you have any problems adding in the Astelin? I may ask about doing that.

I have tried the nasal sprays--but I think that they have enough steroid in them (I know, it hsould not be systemic, but I am insanely sensitive and Florinef was the biggest disaster for me)--that they make my tachycardia worse. So, I would like to try one that isn't a steroid, like the Astelin.

Any advice would be much appreciated. The fatigue from the allergies is awful on top of already feeling like a wet dishrag.

Emily

I have horrible seasonal allergies. We have our bedding in mite-proof casings (purchased from nat'l allergy as mentioned above), I wash my bedding in very hot water w/ unscented detergent, I change my pillow cases every few days, I wash my hair before bed to keep from putting pollen all over my pillows (hair care products like mouse, gel, wax, spray will all hold allergens in your hair).

I rinse my sinuses with a NeilMed system.

We have an Ionic Breeze in our bedroom.

I take a ton of allergy /asthma meds... flonase recently stopped working, so now I'm on nasonex, advair, singulair, zyrtec & benedryl DAILY.

Michelle, the nasonex is messing with my bp terribly--I've just got a trial pack from my doc. I have another brand to try starting tomorrow. My hr was up in the 230's for about a half hour today. UGh. Then poof--back to 80's.

Nina

Nina, I told my doctor about the reaction to Nasonex yesterday and she said "That's a very uncommon reaction." Guess not for us though, eh? I'm staying away from that one.

Emily, the saline spray is just a nose spray. I think you can use it as often as needed...it's just saline....but maybe check with your doctor on that one.

Michelle

Interesting to hear the others couldn't tolerate the Nasonex--a "non-systemic" med--that makes me feel better that I could not handle Flonase....

Michelle--I call the pharmacist and see how to use the Saline....I don't think it matters a whole lot. I just didn't know if you squirted it and then tipped your head back or forward or anything fun like that. And if you 'sniffed' in while you squirted or just sprayed it.

Okay, later alligator!

Em

I've been on Nasonex for a couple years. Interesting to hear that it causes BP to drop. I typically only use it at night. I use it in the morning if my allergies are really bothering me but I haven't noticed any problems. Although, I would be interested in trying something different. From time to time I have to go off the Nasonex because it starts to give me nose bleeds. I used the gel simply saline to combat the nose irritation from Nasonex and IT caused irritation!! I find the gel Ayr really helpful but it is hard to find.

I take Zyrtec year around and recently added Singulair as well. I'm having my skin test repeated on Tuesday because I will probably be starting allergy shots soon. Living in Florida there always seems to be something in bloom year around that keeps my allergies acting up. My allergist felt that if we could tackle one problem that would be one less thing for me to deal with.

I had a horrible reaction to Clarinex - palpitations, swinging blood pressure. It was given to me by my ENT who thought it would be better than Zyrtec. My allergist thought that was absurd and knew that some people had problems with their blood pressure while on Clarinex. Glad to be off that!

I'm a nurse who used to own a health food store. One thing you might try is homeopathy, which these days, is sold almost everywhere, although the chain stores will have a smaller selection than some health food stores. You can also buy online at places like drugstore.com, cvs.com, walgreens.com, etc. Some brand names are Hyland, Boiron, B and T.

Homeopathy is an FDA approved over the counter drug. It will always have some form of the word *homeopathy* and the NDC (drug registration) number on the label. Homeopathy has NO side effects and is generally cheap, about $10. The products will be labeled for your specific symptoms.

For some people it works great, for others not at all (sound like allergy meds???). Some pharmacists think they don't work at all-but that's their problem. There are also homeopathic nasal sprays which do not have the rebound probems. Also some great eye drops. When you take the pills, dissolve them under your tongue - do not swallow. They're usually made with a small amount of milk sugar - lactose, so avoid if you're allergic to lactose (but remember, you're doing this sublingually, NOT digesting it in your GI tract).

Do not confuse homeopathy with herbal products - not the same at all.

Btw, if you travel or live in Europe, for example in the UK, Spain, France, Belgium, many of the pharmacists are also licensed as homeopathic pharmacists and you will see notice of this in their store signs - eg, *homeopathica*.

my allergies are driving me bonkers at the moment...sort of the least of my concerns these days but annoying nonetheless....

i have pretty major allergies to just about all of the standard allergens (year-round) except for mold. i have allergen covers for all bedding as well (b/c of dust mite allergies) which make a difference for me, use hot water for bedding & everything else i can. i've been a bit more diligent in the past regarding keeping things clean, using allergen laundry detergent for things that must be washed in cold, etc. but i physically can't do more at the moment.

i take clarinex (prescription relative to claritin) and use flonase. in the past i have taken allegra and claritin as well without any difficulty and with equal efficacy. for allergic skin reactions i take benadryl though it makes be a bit sleepy. i've also tried zyrtec but it doesn't seem to help as much & makes me a bit drowsy as well.

i haven't seen/found an allergist since moving to cleveland and at the moment am wishing i had. i was on allergy shots for about a year & they were taking the edge of at least the worst seasonal/outdoor allergies but i had to stop them when i started a beta-blocker....too risky especially since i did have one scary reaction to a shot once.

good luck to everyone else sniffling through the current pollen counts...

:lol: melissa

i was on allergy shots for about a year & they were taking the edge of at least the worst seasonal/outdoor allergies but i had to stop them when i started a beta-blocker....too risky especially since i did have one scary reaction to a shot once.

Did you have the scary reaction to the shot when you were on the Beta Blockers or just on the shots alone? I know you aren't supposed to take a Beta Blocker and the shots together, which works for me because I'm allergic to beta blockers. Just curious about your experience with the shots and if you would recommend them. I'm supposed to be starting them soon.

Alexia

Thanks for starting this thread, i only started getting hayfever whrn i got POTS, can anyone tell me why that is?

i think that tree pollen is what causes it for me and i had no idea what to take. having a dreadful week. i think i'll go and ask my pharmacist.

a lot of the drugs that you talk about we can't get in the uk.

becks x x x

alexia -

my reaction happened after a shot BEFORE i was on a beta blocker. while you're not supposed to be on both at once, some allergists will allow it depending on the calculated risk. the reason it's contraindicated is b/c IF one has a reaction to a shot being on a beta blocker can make treatment more difficult. thus...b/c i'd had a reaction already there was zero room for discussion in terms of my continuing the shots.

retrospectively the shots definitely helped me though. it's a gradual thing so i'm noticing even more now that they're out of my system. it takes patience too....definitely not something where there's a noticable improvement overnight. i had more improvement with seasonal/outdoor allergens than with year-round indoor things but would still do it again if i could. other than the one reaction the only "problem" i ever had was itching/swelling at the site of the injection...similar to one large hive i suppose.

becky -

honestly i think the fact that your POTS & allergies came on about the same time is probably just a coincidence. my allergies came to the forefront a few years after my dysautonomia diagnosis but it isn't unusual for the onset of allergies to happen at any age...

good luck to you both.

:blink: melissa