Blood Rushing To Head?

jenwic

When I bend over to pick up something off the floor I get a really full feeling in my head. It feels like when I was a kid and I would hang by my knees off the monkey bars and the blood would rush to my head.

Also, sometimes when I first lay down at night I get a similar feeling. My throat and neck feel "full" and I can feel my heart beating in my neck. It feels like when you are wearing a turtle neck that's too tight.

My blood pressure is fine when I check it. Anyone else ever experience this?

Yes i get this feeling a lot of the time too.Its pretty unpleasant.I would get it if I bend down for something, stand up too quickly or reach up to get something from a cupboard or high shelf etc.I think i read somewhere that this is due to low blood pressure so maybe your bp does go low when you get this sensation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

That feeling of blood rushing to your head when you bend over is quite normal, I think we are more sensitive to it / notice it more than healthy people but they get it too.

The problem is really when you stand back up again - all that blood rushes down away from your head and often makes you light-headed / dizzy and can trigger a blackout. I've found that if I need to pick something up off the floor or a low shelf I am likely to have a blackout. I get round this by remembering to bend my knees and squat down, rather than bending from the waist - this way your head stays above your heart and I have less of a swing in blood pressure.

Flop

Flop,

I have the same reaction to low shelves. Dusting is an issue! At the library, I just flop (heh, heh) right on the floor and sit to look at books. That's fine until I have to get back up! Blackout city! I've never actually fainted, but I've sure felt like I was going to.

Amy

I'm new here - and have a similar symptom - wondering if anyone has the same thing. When I bend over for more than a few seconds (do this a lot bc I have 4 kids!), I get a lot of pressure in my chest. It is so uncomfortable and scary that I always have to get up - then don't feel particularly right for a while. I am 33 with 4 kids and suspected POTS - hopefully going to Mayo soon for more definite diagnosis. Will post more soon on my symptoms/info. Thanks for reading!

• 9 years later...

Hi, I am having the same thing right now, exactly how you explained it. I'm lying in bed trying to sleep and when I change different positions it gets worse, is there something wrong? What is it? I'm 18 years old and am kind of scared right now because this has never happened. I get migraines pretty frequently but have never had his happen, especially when I'm lying down? Can anyone help? ThanksĀ