weird symptom

halmad85

I was just curious if anyone has this problem that I have...

Ever since these POTS-like symptoms started, I find it very difficult to wear mascara. While I apply it, I feel very lightheaded and SOB (probably from trying to stand still), and my eyes feel so heavy (I can't open them all the way for a while). Also my vision becomes blurred, and I'm instantly fatigued. The mascara I use is not very heavy itself (it's actually almost out so comes on very light). I've pretty much stopped using it all together because of this. I tried it again yesturday and it was the same thing. Am I the only one with this weird problem?

I get that sort of feeling whenever I stand still in front of the mirror to do anything detailed...

Brush hair, make-up, check out a zit.

I think it is the standing still and the forcing my body to focus on something. I get the same way if I am trying to hook a troublesome bracelet or necklace clasp...

My theory is that, at least with me, I tune out visual input a lot and that lets me avoid feeling sick sometimes...but when I force myself to pay attention to all the visual input...my system realizes how out of whack it is and feels sick...

Just my theory...

p.s. I gave up makeup and jewelry and I don't care about zits enough to make myself sick anymore and I cover my hair for religious reasons....So I kind of avoid most of that stuff now...usually... lol

The SOB could be caused by you inhaling the odor of the mascara. Mascara does that to me, depending on the formulation. If I experienced the reactions you are having while applying mascara, I would think I was allergic to the mascara. You did not say you have this reaction to applying lipstick or powder. Is it makeup in general or just the mascara?

If you can find a water-based mascara, try that.

FWIW, I had purchased many Bobbie Brown cosmetics one day, when the department store was having a, "put make-up on" kind of promotion. This was before my POTS was full-swing.

After using the moisturizer (all expensive stuff), I noticed a severe headache. Go figure? I tried it again. Same thing. I took all of the cosmetics back.

I never thought that a substance with no discernable odor could cause a headache, but that experience taught me that all chemicals can be absorbed through the skin, and I could have a reaction.

I suspect that there may be something in the mascara that you are sensitive to, in addition to the fact that you are standing still while applying it.

Hi, I get extremely dizzy if I look in a mirror and move, even if I move my head for a second. It's worse on bathroom mirrors and not as bad on full length mirrors...weird, huh?!

Jacquie

Yeah I'd say it could be the chemical/smell of the mascara or it could be the positioning of your head.

But most importantly, try sitting down while you do makeup! I bought a child sized desk (from Good Will) years ago and painted it all lovely. :) I use the drawers for makeup, cosmetics, etc... and put a fancy mirror on the desk. So that's where I can sit (on a cushy chair) and do makeup. I could NOT even THINK about standing up to do that!

I like do not even wear makeup any more.. it causes me to get terribly itchie..( and I have tried many different brands).. and eye make up..(all of it) casues my eyes to get red and puffy and really watery/runny!!.. my face gets terribly red..I think that it is safe to say that I am allergic to make up!! :)

so now I use no make up at all!! well..I use lip gloss to get a shiny look to my lips on rare occasions..it has been so long since I wore makeup that I cantrecall if I had trouble putting it on..LOL..

Thanks for all the tips. Maybe it is the brand of mascara itself, who knows? I have difficulty doing other things in front of the mirror, but the mascara is the main problem for me. Just the way it makes me fatigued and makes my eyes so heavy/blurred vision. I'll try a different brand (water based), sit down while applying it, watch the head tilting...and if those don't help, people will just have to accept my beauty the natural way (as they have been these days). :)

Thanks,

Jen

I can't wear mascara anymore. I've tried several different brands but it blurs my eyes too, But the worst thing is that it causes me to have eye infections especially styes. Since I stopped using mascara I don't get eye infections anymore.

As for standing at the mirror, I usually sit on the floor and put my make up on or bring a chair into the bathroom to blow dry my hair and put make up on.

I agree the smell of MANY PRODUCTS is too much.

even so called "natural/organic "products, use too much 'aromatherapy" stuff. My sister once gave me this 'natural lipstick". I had to wipe it off immediately due to the smell.

Just what MAN thought it was a good idea to have a strong/perfumey/chemical smell under our noses? Literally.

I use an old fashioned piano stool in the bathroom to sit on and wash my face and put on makeup.

Also it's what I sit on to sponge bathe since I can only stand in the shower with hot water in the winter about every week or 10 days. In hot weather, I can take warm water showers a little more often, depending.

But we keep this house mostly at 68- 65 degrees. Chill in shower unless the water is hot.

I also kneel on the piano stool some days to wash my hair in the sink. The bath room sink has a tall gooseneck faucet that swivels. It's very helpful to wash hair with knees bent and close to my chest as I lean forward!

Least it works for me.

Why not sit down and CURL your lashes? Don't do that standing for sure! You can get little curling irons for your lashes (Sephora), or use the hand-held regular kind.

Another option is lash gel. It's gel specially formulated just for your eyelashes. DO NOT use regular gel thinking it's okay...has to be a special kind, since it's used with the eyes. A few years ago it was hard to find, but it's far more common and most lines carry it these days (you can also use it on your brows if they are getting long-ish and it's not time to have those done).

Yet, another option, but kinda (potentially) worrysome with all the allergies we all have...lash tinting. You can go to a special spa and get your lashes dyed whatever color you want (brown, black, navy and most likely crazy colors, though not the best for day to day). When your lashes are dyed, they will stay until all the lashes fall out and re-grow, so you won't have to deal with it but once or twice a year...I forget the cycle but it's not often.

Yet, another option ( I am into this stuff!) is getting fake lashes. You can get them semi-permanent put on and they last a month or so...You would have to deal with glue/adhesive. If you did any of these options I would see about checking the ingredients and have a test spot done on your arm and leave it for a few days, to check for any sensitivities.

Unless you have really light lashes, mascara isn't a huge deal on a day to day basis unless you are on camera. Lip gloss and a little color on your cheeks tends to go really far (and is less effort and if you have contacts, you won't have to constantly take them out, clean them, etc because you had mascara on).

Another thought, some people mention tilting heads. Mascara goes on really easily if you hold your head in a regular position, look down slightly, and brush out and up, than from underneath, from there, do the bottem lashes. Let it dry and re-apply as needed. There is a way you can hold your eye area with your free hand that really helps, but not sure how to explain it.