Eyes

Guest dionna

I have that symptoms as well--and as already stated this is common with POTS. I am sensitive to bright light. I wear glasses and use "transitions" lenses, which helps with changing light conditions for me. Sunglasses work too!

Enlarged pupils were considered a beauty mark in the past centuries--women actually used belladonna to enlarge their pupils for cosmetic reasons!

It is not anything that will hurt you--just makes your eyes a little more sensitive.

Take care

Katherine

yup it's a common trait among us. I only notice it (not looking in the mirror) when I become really light sensitive and my eyes start watering- especially bad in natural light, and they just don't want to shrink! I wear sunglasses most of the time outside and always when driving, but the dilated pupils often indicate a more symptomatic period.

wow I ddint know that this was potsy thing either!! makes ense though I gueess..

when I was about 14-15 my eyes started dialating. and my mom would always wonder why they'd do that.. as she would watch them do it.. especially when I wasnt feelingwell..it would really freak my mom out..

I too am extremely light sensitive.. I keep the shades down on the windows during the day. and the lights off too.. :( ( no I'm not a hermit..LOL).. but i cant handle light during the day it really messes with me.. and if i have to go outside.. even on gloomy days I wear the darkest sunglasses that I can possibly find.. ironically enough both my parents are the same way with light.. my mom more so with natural lighting.. and my father.. is the lightbulb man.. he keeps the house dimmly light as lightbulbs bother him..

Mine are always dilated. I can't go outside without sunglasses, even on cloudy days. It drives me nuts because my family can't turn on very many lights in the house or open the curtains hardly at all. I have a great pair of sunglasses that go around block the light on the side and I have found them a MAJOR help since even the normal ones let in a lot of light on the side so I found them very helpfull! I haven't found anything that makes it go away though but still searching...

I had the opposite problem for years...I had pinpoint pupils. It was very hard to adjust when stepping into the dark. Now, when I'm having a bad day my pupils still get tiny.

Katherine, interesting what you said about women dilating their pupils on purpose. Dilated pupils is a sign that you are sexually attracted to someone. Desmond Morris writes a lot of interesting stuff on the subject.

So girls, if someone ever accuses you of sending mixed messages, it looks like you have an excuse. hehe! :P

I remember reading that somewhere too. har. I guess if you are not attracted you could just tell them they make you sick! My pupils get dilated when I am having surges and stuff and I am very light sensitive. I know they have been fixed at times, because it's charted in notes somewhere, but they are not dilated all the time.

The scary thing is, my son's are huge a lot, and he already has so many health problems... :P

Yep, dilated pupils here.

I get comments on them all the time. I'll be paying for my groceries and the clerk will say "My, you have BIG PUPILS!" I'm like "yeah... weird that you noticed..." ?? It's just so weird that people notice mine all the time.

I have been told about the "attraction" thing, too. Guys have told me that since my pupils are dilated, I am attracted to them. I tell them it's a medical condition and they shouldn't be so flattered. :-P

I wear polarized sunglasses that wrap around- I wear them on cloudy days as well, and sometimes at night if headlights are too bright or if I go into a store with those harsh flourescent lights.

When I went to see Dr Rowe on Friday, as soon as I walked into his exam room he lowered the blinds on his sunny window and made it more comfortable for me without me even having to say anything. Gotta love that. :lol:

Dr. Grubb told me that this is the one area that the autonomic system affects eyesight - in the dialation process.... our eyes may be very slow at dialating either way. I find that this makes it almost impossible to drive at night because I become blinded by headlights coming towards me... after they pass I can not see a thing for a min. or so. Also sometimes I can see one distance fine, but when I try to look elsewhere everything is blurry for a while.

~Roselover

I never checked to see if my pupils are dilated, but when I am having a POTS episode, the lights look brighter than they really are - if that makes sense. Actually, it's like a warning signal for me that a POTS attack is coming on. There are particular places, like in the lobby of my building, where the lights especially bother me. I will have to check next time to see if my pupils are dilated.

I was just wondering if any of you experience a symptom of dialated eyes all the time. If so, do you know the reason that happens or how to fix it. Thank you very much.

Dionna

I just want all of you to know that I appreciate all of the responses and I enjoyed reading all of them. I learned a few new things that I didn't expect.

Dionna