Work

Guest dionna

I am about to be out of my job so I was just wondering what type of jobs some of you might do. I can't stay at home. I am very hyper person and I would rather pass out than stay in bed. I always say I am just fine even if I am not. Thank you.

Dionna

I am an Entomologist working for an international research company in South Africa. I LOVE MY JOB. I am a qualified Horticulturist but just love insects and would rather work with insects all day than any other job. One thing that always fascinates me is our personalities. I am a work aholic and a perfectionist. I am not happy if I am not busy and it has not been done 100 % correctly. How I have managed to stay working is mind over matter. I fight this with all I have. Not easy! Plus I have an amazing husband that reminds me how strong I am when life?s just gets too much. The joys of pots never give us a dull moment in life. I very seldom let my health keep me down. Very few people would even notice I am sick if I did not say something or not land up in hospital. I hide this part of my life well. I must however say I have had days that I just pray through work. Not always easy! :P

I work in one of the local schools part-time. It's a 2hr job watching the kids during lunch. It requires standing when we are outside but I usually have not much of a problem with that. It is convenient, I have off when my children do and the pay is pretty good also. It gets me out 5days a week and has the opportunity to work all day in a classroom when they need coverage.

It is also flexible enough that if I need to take the day off I can, without pay but I don't have to worry about the job.

I'm a full time masters student. Technically I'm sort of getting paid as I'm funded by the AHRC (British Academy). I'm glad I can sit down to read and in all of my classes!

And also pretty glad that I can work in bed some days....today has been a work in bed day, actually!

Have you thought about going back to college? If you need a challenge and to be stretched, maybe this would be an excellent way to keep switched on?

Hi, before my symptoms got too bad I used to work at a bank. Finally, just the sitting up got to be too much. I might look into going back to school and/or working PT at a bank since I have the experience.

Jacquie

I am a copy editor, plus I do massage therapy part time (lately, only 3-5 hours a week). The massage is difficult but I need the income. I try to do half the sessions seated and half standing, and that works OK. But my heart rate gets up there.

The copy editing is great, except for when I have to do the front page of the newspaper on deadline. That can be pretty stressful.

Amy

I work in basically a call center full time. So clients call in w/ software questions and I try and solve them. Plus I make recorded internet training sessions and do live internet training sessions.

The training sessions are fine for me cause I can do the recorded ones at my own pace and the live ones, I know I just have to be 'on' for an hour or less...and then I can decompress.

The call portion of it is very hard when I am having a mediocre day and darn near impossible when having a bad day. I can't remember what the questions are...I get confused.... People think I am upset with them when really I am not...

I have asked to work from home but it is not allowed. I have asked for reduced hours but that goes no where as well.

I do the best I can, but frankely some days I just keep the chair warm.

am amazed at the variation in working capacity of you all !! I work part time in a gym! I sell memberships and have to kinda pretend that I work out which I can't do anymore. I have gone from 20 hours a week to only 8 and am finding this even too much. My company is very supportive, but it is getting to the point that I am always ringing in sick and it is not fair to them. I really like my job because I get out of the house and can talk to people etc and works well with my kids. It is taxing as I have to go up and down stairs a lot and put on a happy face for sales. I am dreading giving up and am hoping to find some work to do at home on the computer. I too have always been busy, active and staying home all day lounging around sounds great when you are at work full time, but it feels very empty. I do manage to fill in the day, but it is easy to drift from one to the other. I hope you can find something. I think studying sounds like a good option. I am thinking of that, but the brain fog puts me off a little.

Good luck and know that I understand how you are feeling :)

Suzanne

I am a lawyer and work 4/days a week at a law firm. My job is very flexible. I don't need to be there at any particular time, and I can leave early, catch a breather, and finish up my work from home if needed. They don't really care as long as the work gets done. The bad part is that it can be really stressful, especially when there is a deadline. And I never really escape from my job - I often have to do at least a little work on my day off and on evenings and weekends. I take Wednesdays off, and at least it helps to have a breather in the middle of the week.

Enjoying reading everyone's replies!

I'm an artist and musician, although have been too sick to actively work (exhibit artwork, record music) these last 3 years. So, we haven't been able to rely on me for income. I've been gradually , I mean really slowly putting together a series of paintings and music for exhibit. Hoping to be strong enough in a month or so, as I have been improving! Right now, I'm stuck at home again because of pneumonia AGHHH!! but was able to use the opportunity to put together my website..almost done :P

I can relate to this feeling of hyper yet ill. I probably have ADD, plus I'm taking steroids for another condition. So, I'm like ADD on steroids that has to rest. It drives me loony staying in one place. I want to get up and GO! and start making plans--thank God my mind works--but then I crash when I start to implement them. Sometimes I wonder who I'm fooling, but I'd shrivel up and die if I didn't keep my dreams active.

Good luck! I hope you find employment you enjoy. Anything you can think of that's web-based? I'm hoping that my wesite will save me some walking..

Ariella

This IS really interesting, isn't it? It's kind of strange, as I have always felt for a long time that a paid job would be much harder than my studies- not because university is easy, but because you can flexible about when you work.

But it's good to know that some of you have understanding employers. Unfortunately for me, the only experience of employemtn I've ever had is in crummy summer jobs that were really menial and treated me like scum because I dared to be student :(

I need to have my faith restored!

I was a Secretary at a very busy Plumbing Wholesale store. It was very demading. I cant work anymore. Some days I can barely stand up, and I cant always think clearly. I miss work and wish that I could find something to do. I have applied for disability and have my first Doctors appt for disability this month. I was also a go getter, always doing something. I didnt know how to relax. If it needed to be done, I did it. Now someone else has to do most things for me. Vanessa

When I went back to work after taking a year off while sick with POTS, I looked for a job that wouldn't require a lot of standing and wouldn't wear me out physically. I got a job at a library and it suits me well. I work in reference, which keeps me challenged mentally and is also a job I can do sitting down (for the most part). It works for me.

Michelle