headaches caused by standing?

Wufflebear

definitely.

i get migraines occassionally that don't seem to be so related to my position (though always do make me lay down...that just doesn't help them go away).

but i also get postural (aka "upright" headaches) when i'm standing or sitting too much. usually for me it's from sitting from too long b/c generally i would faint long before the headache would sit in for standing. the headache is very different than a migraine though not any better/worse....just different. it will NOT go away unless i lay down & depending on how quickly i lay down may go away in a few minutes or not for hours.

for me the pain/ache always starts and is primarily in the lower back part of my head but can spread elsewhere. it's due to poor cerebral perfusion (aka not enough blood in the brain) and has been called a "coathanger headache" by some of the autonomic docs over the years.

so...you're definitely not on your own with this one.

B) melissa

Mine tend to start in the back of my head too. If I lay down (not sit) just then I will be ok in a bit. If I persist in standing for 10 more minutes it lasts for a good day. If I just sit then it will be hours before it goes away. I work a desk job too so I have a constant headache. I think my blood pools in my legs too cause they tend to feel like water baloons....then I know I am in for it.

Sometimes I feel like there is too much air in my head/pressure perhaps too as it starts to ache in the back and then move forward.

its hard to explain the feeling. I love this place (-;

I think that you will find this is a common symptom for many of us. If you haven't looked at the list of symptoms on the main site, it might help you feel more "normal"...or at least normal for someone with dysautonomia.

Nina

Hi, in all 21 years of my life I had never had a headache (unless I hit my head!) and then this year I began to get these massive headaches. It's weird though because I have a week where I have headaches, then weeks go by without them. Seems like they always come in the same few days, rather than be spaced out. They stink no matter when you get them tho!!!!

Jacquie

When my b/p is very low i always get headaches on standing and the only way to ease the pain is to lie down. My doc said that it is because my brain is not getting enough oxygen. Vanessa

I can relate to the standing headaches.. this past summer I had a TTT done. and by the time they were done with the test..I had one heck of a headach going.. and I told the doc.. the headach was in the back of my head.. lots of pressure there! and in my eyeball.. he said well are you undre some kinda of stress? I'm like yeah it is called standing! standing longer then a few minutes "stresses" me out and I get a headach..

or if I sit up for longer then a few minutes too..

Hte stadning headaches I believe are from the blood pooling in my lower limbs (legs and such).. and the fact that there just isnt enough oxygen and blood going to my brain.. and HELLO!! you have a POTSY headach on board! there are no fun...

Sometimes I only get headaches when I am laying down. I don't know what the cause would be though.