just POTS

Do you have more than just pots?  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

POTS, NCS, Celiac/Sprue, Ehlers-Danlos III, Asthma, severe medication allergies, gastroparesis & reflux, migraines, ...and I'm probably missing a few on this list because of brain fog. :)

Certain things are known to be a result of autnomic dysfunction, such as GI motility & bladder function. With others, the relationship is not clear, such as with asthma and allergies.

In my case, it's likely that having Ehlers-Danlos (collagen is too stretchy) predisposes me to have problems with blood pressure, such as POTS and NCS.

In others, POTS may show up after an illness, such as a viral infection. There are still too many unknowns with regard to how one ends up with this constellation of symptoms, but there is quite a bit of research going on at places like NIH, Vanderbilt, etc.

Nina

I dont have POTS, I have "dysautonomia" whatever that means :) I also suffer from migraines. I also have aspergers syndrome which is a sort of autism. they thought my dysautonomia was related to that as one of the major symptoms is sensory confusion and hightened/lowered senses. for instance i can barely smell anything, some foods i cant taste, and some foods overwhelm me. the worst for me is the sense of touch. i cant stand the feeling of things against my skin, even before it was burning....so who knows, maybe i am just crazy

I can't help but think that someday someone will find a correlation between people with allergies and people who contract dysautonomia. I have all sorts of allergies and am super-sensitive to so many things that it just seems to me that getting POTS is somehow related to my over reactions to things. Perhaps in time we'll find out. :)

These are the diagnosis that I have received in the past two years since the diagnosis of dysautonomia. I beleive I have had POTs for a long time. My symptoms became debilitating two years ago.

POTS, small fiber neuropathy, OH, mild cervical stenosis, asthma, gastroparesis,

GERD, asthma, ataxia, depression and as of today myopathy. They suspect a possible mitochondrial myopathy.

I also have allergies. I have always wondered if allergies and autoimmune diseases were connected!

Dawn

I have just been diagnosed with POTS 3 months ago. Two years I was diagnosed with Graves disease (overactive thyroid) and received radioactive iodine to destroy my thyroid. Thats when the POTS symtoms came along. They were off and on till about 9 months ago and then they decided to stay. I can't help but think there is some link there. Hope to find out soon.

POTS & NCS with yeah... you guessed it! ALLERGIES! I'm super- sensitive to all drugs and most perfumes ...can't use any soap except ivory or dove and cant get in the same room with a cat or even where it use to be!

Migraines-which I believe are a symptom of POTS

a "Mild mood disorder" which also I feel is as a result of POTS

Probably more but :rolleyes: brain fog presumes!

My diagnosis is orthostatic tachycardia; it's never been investigated, but I strongly suspect mine is what's called "partial dysautonomia," caused by lack of venous constriction; my system tries to right this by flooding me with noradrenaline. This would explain a number of things, esp. why opiates floor me and stimulants help.

I'm also bipolar; unrealted, but the two conditions together have not made for an easy time over the last decade.

• 11 months later...

Hi. I also have a lot of allergies and low tolerances to drugs and chemicals. (I was diagnosed with POTS ten years ago, but have an appointment in April to test for whatever else I may have along with it. Hopefully, that's it.) I didn't the allergies and insensitivities that strange since I read the article, "Postural Orthostatic Tachycarida Syndrome: Patient's Report on Causes, Symptoms and Treatment," found at http://home.att.net/~potsweb/POTS.html

How many of you have read this? I think it's good. It gives a great deal of information. In it, the author, Christopher Calder, who suffers with POTS himself, talks about many POTS patients having "common allergies, uncommon food allergies and are highly drug and chemical sensitive." Further along he writes, "Patients with a history of bad drug reactions should be doubly cautious when considering drug therapy."

If you've read his article, what have you thought of it? If you haven't, it might be worth your while to peruse it. It helped to ease my mind a little about all the weird stuff I experience with POTS. Let me know what you think.

LindaJoy

Hello!

I have POTS but recently my neurologist said that he thinks my fatigue is caused by CFS.

(I could have just POTS and this causes the fatigue or I have POTS and CFS....who knows!)

Oh, allergies for me too! Interesting stuff!

Lisa

POTS, thyroid problem (I had a toxic thyroid nodule destroyed by radiation treatment - i now take thyroid replacement medication), Polycycstic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), Insulin resistance (goes along with the PCOS), Asthma, enviromental allergies, allergic to beta blockers :blink:, and I tend to have opposite reactions to medication. That covers it and that's more than I'd like to have.

• 6 years later...

I have been diagnosed with POTS/ severe Orthostatic Intolerance, moderate Dysautonomia, beta hyperadrenergic sensitivity, Hypovolemia, Raynauds Syndrome, Chronic Migraine Syndrome, IBS, severe allergies and now suspected MCAD/ Mast Cell involvement, suspected Chronic Fatigue ( but who wouldnt have fatigue with this list :)

Bren