I survived my first term in Oxford- officially!

persephone

Exactly as it says above....

I handed in my essay....my term's work is DONE!!!!

I walked ALL the way to my tutor's room from my flat (about a 40 minute walk)...I was fine til I got to the half hour mark then the POTS kicked in...but I managed to get there with no stick, no scooter, no wheels of any kind!

I had a bad POTS attack when I stood up to leave but I didn't lose consciousness at all....I had the shakes down my right side, the spaghetti legs and all the sparkles in the vision....but I still think I was triumphant because I had walked all the way there, and handed my essay in....

This is the first autumn term I have been able to complete since 2002...I was too long in hospital in 2003 to continue with my first term of the final year at St Andrews, and then when I tried to repeat it in 2004 the same thing happened again, only I broke my foot and the POTS went REALLY crazy.

I feel SO proud that I have kept at it, and not just quit. I've gone home more than I would have liked to this term, which probably is a sign of weakness on my part, BUT my work is in, I had a really lovely meeting with my tutor (you know the one I've mentioned before- who is so understanding and unlike almost everyone else is ACTUALLY on my side).

My tachy was really bad this afternoon in front of her, I was gasping and she sat on the pavement with me and said "just lean on me, it's all right. Don't be frightened- just let it happen." I said "It's the not being able to breathe properly that does it, really- that scares me the most." And she said the magic words then- I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GOING THROUGH.

Empathy- all we need, sometimes, isn't it?

Anyway, so I would just like to say thanks to those of you who offered support and encouragement during what has actually been the most difficult three month period I think I've ever had- Oxford has been demanding in so very many ways. But I am still here, hanging on!

THANK YOU.

Hey, congrats about completing the semester!!!! :)

Jacquie

THanks everyone! I celebrated today by going to Cambridge to their manuscript exhibition- some of the most fantastic manuscripts in the world are there....it was heavenly!

I went with a really lovely couple I know from Oxford and it was like a breath of fresh air- they knew EXACTLY what it was like to feel tired and they didn't push me to do anything too much...

They asked if I wanted to sit down, if I felt able to walk, if I was ready to get lunch etc etc...SO kind, what a difference when people are like that!

A REALLY inspiring day B)

PLUS my seasonal affective disorder should get better- this is the shortest day of the year so things can only get lighter, can't they!

many congrats pers...i definitely know how big the accomplishment is having been trying to make it through the grad school maze myself this semester. and you're a step ahead of me at this point as i still have a paper to turn in for one of my classes.

so....congrats congrats congrats. and so glad that you were able to have such a great celebratory day today to boot.

B) melissa