court case tomorrow

becky

HI all,

sorry i haven't been posting much recently but i am going to court tomorrow against my ex employer for disability discrimination for sacking me whilst i was ill and not making any adjustments.

I will admit that i am absolutely terrified, i have to get up and speak, i'm scared i'll pass out and then i'll never be able to tell everyone what they did to me.

I'm not sure what's worse though all of the letters that i have from them and my doctors telling me that i'm stressed and not fit for work or the fact that all of the people that are there tomorrow have seen all of my medical records dating back to when i was born, there is some really private stuff in there about the counselling that i received a few years ago for depression and all of the tests that i have had to go through to finally get to a diagnosis - i have to say that at the weekend i just thought, i can't do this, i was so upset by all of the things that i had read and i did not want my private life dragged through the courts and made public knowledge, but then i thought about how i don't have anything to hide from them and there are so many people out there who are discriminated against and don't do anything about it because they are sick, so i decided that i'm going to be strong and stand up and say that's not right, i may be sick but i've still got a voice and i'm going to use it.

please wish me luck, and keep me in your thoughts, and thanks for all the help over the past few months.

sorry this was a bit longer than originally planned.

i'll keep you all updated, should be all over by thursday.

big hugs and lots of love

becks x x x

Hi Becky,

I just wanted to say that I hope things go as well as possible for you on Thursday.

You know that you are doing the right thing, even though at the moment it seems hard to face. Often with big things like this the build-up and anticipation are worse than the event itself, lets hope so.

All you can do is be brave and honest and ensure that others see the bad judgments your ex-employer made to you.

Wishing you lots of luck (and don't forget to sit down as much as poss - not a great place for a passout!) :)

Best wishes,

Scooby

Hi becky,

My mum took her employer to court for stress related stuff and won. It took years and it was really tough on her but in the end i think she wanted to let them know they cant get away with treating people poorly .. even if she lost she still cost them time and energy to think about the matter. I think you are right on the ball about not going down without a fight (of course thats a personal choice each individual has to make) ...

Wishing you all the best and sending you thoughts of strength. :)

hi all,

thanks for the really encouraging words, today was quite hellish. i had to go first and i wasn't prepared for that, but i just kept calm read my statement and explained to the judges everything that happened during my employment, i had to ask for a couple of unschelduled (sp?) breaks as i kind of started to slur - a sure sign i'm going down hill and my sentences weren't making sense! anyway i could see my dad and my fiancee waving to me to stop so i asked for a break and the court were really nice. The opposing lawyer was really tough and kept on saying that i was lying and trying to make me sound less credible but i kept to my guns didn't get upset and more importantly didn't get angry at the short bald man!!

Anyway, apparently tomorrow will be easier as it's their turn and i don't have to speak but i think thats just as bad.

right i now have a banging headache as i have only just got home and i left this morning at seven, so i'm going to bed.

Bring on round two!!

lots of love and hugs (especially to pers, thanks mate)

becks x x x

Guest Julia59

Becky, I'm so proud of you-----you go get them----you can do it!

Yes, you are right about not wanting your records being public knowledge, but don't let them get you down, you have been through a lot---and you will over come this too. :)

Good luck in Round two! I'll be praying for you. :)

Tell the little bald guy were rooting for you............... :angry:

Julie :0)