Our 2 week old was in the hospital!!!

Our new baby (Alex) who is only 2 weeks old just got home today from a 3 day stay at the hospital. We took him in overnight on Wednesday for a fever of 104- after doing a ton of testing on him they finally determined that he has a urinary tract infection caused by a backup of urine into the kidneys. They had him on some high powered antibiotics and sent him home with amoxicillin which he has to take for 30 days until we can get further testing done and see a urologist. It was the worst experience of my life, but we are just thankful that it was not life threatening as we initially thought. They did a spinal tap, took blood several times and did several urine samples via catheter and my poor baby was miserable. However, for a chance I had a good hospital experience which was very accomodating. They provided me with a bed and meals so I could stay with him, since I am breastfeeding, and I only came home to take a shower each day while David stayed with Alex. I am exhausted and can't wait to sleep, and I missed my other son so much but he did fine with his grandparents while we were there. We are just happy to be home! There is nothing in the world as horrible as wondering if you might lose your child, and for a whole 24 hours we had no idea what was wrong with him. He's just so tiny and we're happy things were okay!! I am not feeling too well from all the lack of sleep, and fear it will be hard to "catch up" with all my responsibilities at home. But what can you do when things happen like this in life that make your POTS symptoms flare up? Ths kiddos always come first. Hope everyone is doing well!!

Jessica

What an ordeal you have been through. I am glad he got excellent care and the hospital was accomodating of all your needs.

I hope you all get some good rest now.

Don't worry about anything else except taking good care of your family and yourself. Other obligations can be attended to when you have the time and energy! I'm glad your parents are nearby for help and support.

Katherine

Guest Julia59

Just wanted to sent a quick little hello----and let you know you new little one will be in my prayers to continue on his road of recovery. What a scare that is!

My little one is now 6ft. 2in. now and is one year older then you! He is 24--just had a birthday in June---the 21st. He is now sick himself---it looks like a sinus infection----102 temp-------- :( Now I have his girlfriends litttle one over---little Kaela----just 15 months old----a doll. His girlfirend is covering his shift for him at Starbucks---they are both shift managers---and both in school.

Take good care of yourself----stay in touch with your body----I hope you are still on your pre-natal vitamins....................Stay hydrated too-----ugg, now I sound like a mom.............

I'm going to check on Kaela now---she is napping.

Hang in there,

Julie :0)

I'm glad to hear things are better than they were earlier in the week and I will hope and pray Alex recovers quickly and fully.

Please try not to worry about the catching up....you and your family are what's most important. Bills and paperwork can be extended and you'll find most people are accommodating on matters like that as long as you notify them up front there is a problem. Do you belong to a church or some other group that could assist you with meals or house cleaning for a few weeks?

Hang in there and try to get some rest!!!

Jess, there's nothing like worrying about a baby to stress you out! Good thing it's a treatable issue :(

Just to let you know, my niece had something very similar. In fact, at first they thought my sister and her hubby sexually abused the baby because it's so rare to have a bladder infection so young (she was about a week old). However, the urologist came out and made the social worker stop filiing any reports because he figured out what the problem was. Her urethra was way up inside her body (he actually couldn't find it until she was several months older), and like your son, she also had urine refluxing into the kidneys. She's now an adolescent and is doing fine. She has to get a cystoscopy once or twice a year, and as a child, need prophylactic antibiotics, but doesn't need them now.

I hope your son's issues clear up quickly, and he's back to being comfortable and happy.

:blink: Nina

So glad they found the problem with your little guy. I know it is stressful having a baby in the hospital. My son was in for 5 days one time with RSV and I was SO exhausted!

I pray that his recovery continues and you get some good rest.

Jessica

just wanted to add my encouragement and support. I am so sorry that you little one was sick,that must be a horrible feeling for you!!

I wish you and you little one and family good thoughts and prayers!

take it easy... just focus on you and the little ones.. everything else will be there when things calm down...

best wishes to you

Linda

Hi,

Sorry about your little one. It is emotionally and physically draining. The worry, worry worry. My littlest guy was in when he was 4mths old on New Years Eve with RSV. Scary time. He is now almost four and except for a touch of asthma he is great.

Take care of yourself too :(

Jessica,

Wow, it sounds like you've had a really scary couple of days! I am really glad that Alex is ok. What a stressful time for all of you!

I hope you have a smooth week,

Lisa

I have been where you are- my little girl went through the same thing when she was eight weeks old and as she had been six weeks premature she was medically treated as a two week old. There is NO stress on earth comparable to worrying about your baby- especially, a newborn and uncertainty about whether or not it is life threatening. I know that you are exhausted- physically and mentally. And of course, exhaustion will tip off your dysatuonomia symptoms. Definitely, overhydrate during this period because with a sick newborn it is hard to remember to take care of yourself. Whatever you normally do to help with symptoms, I would increase (whatever you have found to help- of course, don't play around with your meds). I have found that over hydrating really helps symptoms decrease overall and minimizes them when they do occur. Kiss your babies and remember you can only take care of your little ones when you take care of yourself- don't be a martyr.

Carmen

Jessica -

sorry to be a bit late, but just wanted to send hugs & warm thoughts & prayers your way - both for the little guy & for yourself & the rest of the family. i do hope that you're able to get the help & support you need & am glad to hear that the hospital folks made the tough situation as good as it could be. and so glad to hear that things are on the up & up.

all the best,

:-)melissa

Hi Jess

So sorry to hear about Alex. I wish I could come over and help you out so that you can get some sleep. I am so grateful that it is nothing serious and that you received such good service. Look after yourself and enjoy your babies. Thinking of you. :P

Guest Mary from OH

Jessica-

Bless your heart!! Glad to hear that Alex is back home!! I totally understand what it is like having to care for a sick child when you have POTS! It is exhausting. And when they are so tiny, you worry so much!! But, as a mom, you never stop!!

Have they mentioned to you a problem called urinary reflux? Are they going to be giving him a test called a VCUG? This would test for urinary reflux. My daughter had to have one of these tests done when she was an infant.

Let us know how Alex is doing and take care of yourself!! Glad you're both back home in your own beds!

Jessica,

I just checked in after a few days and saw this ... I am so sorry little Alex had to go through that. When Delaney was born and the doctors told me she was going to be very small and at risk for some problems, I was totally panicked. I can't even think of what I'd have done if she had an infection or something like that. I will keep you guys in my thoughts. Hopefully you will get the right tests when the infection clears up and maybe it will all just have been a fluke. Or if there's a structural problem or something with his urinary tract or kidneys, that it will be detected and fixable. Good luck and take care of yourself, too.

Amy

jess!

yes, i am late chiming in too...sorry...but that doesn't mean i have been thinking about you any less.

what a scare! after your 'perfect delivery' who knew?

i also want to echo the thing about the urethra...i know of someone whose grandson's urethra didn't reach the whole way to through the penis properly (or something like that)...they were able to fix it and he is doing well as far as i know (haven't talked to her in ages)...

anyway, please, please keep up posted.

i hope both you and alex are getting some rest and everyone is staying as healthy as possible...and dry...are you in hurricane craziness now too??

i cannot imagine the fear and panic with such a little baby being so sick. know that we are all thinking of you...and please update us if you can!

emily

Thanks everyone for your concerns :) You are all too sweet. Alex is doing much better now, except for the diarrea that came from the lovely antibiotics. He will be on a low dose until the 18th when we see a urologist. Mary- his pedicatrician actually does think that he has urinary reflux and thus he sent him for the VCUG on the 18th as well. We are hoping not, but chances are high that he does. Kids don't generally get UTI's at this age if there isn't something else going on.

Alex was born with hypospadias, which is where the urethra doesn't exit at the proper part of the penis and will most likely have surgery to correct it at some point (more for cosmetic reasons than anything). It is probably related to whatever else is going on...poor little guy. At this point we are just happy that he can be treated and move on with his life ;)

I am still exhausted as he hasn't been sleeping much since we got out of the hospital...probably a combination of being through so much trauma and also he has been fussy & gassy from the antibiotics- I'm sure he has no intestinal flora left! So I have been a little symptomatic but mostly just fatigued. Will keep you posted on what we find out!

Emily- looks like these current hurricanes will miss us, but we are expecting some bad weather this weekend from the outskirts of the storm. I really feel for those who are in Pensacola and Alabama though, let's hope that storm loses LOTS of power before it heads that way.

Guest Mary from OH

Jessica-

You'll of course need to ask your dr, but a possibility to give Alex to help with the diarrhea from the antibiotics is a probiotic. It helps restore the "good" bacteria back in the intestines. The "best" one to get is one called Culturelle. We get it at CVS Pharmacy. You can find out more about it at www.culturelle.com

You can find out from your dr how much to give him. My daughter took it when she was an infant as directed by her GI. She has severe GI problems. But, I would talk to your Ped first. It will REALLY help the diarrhea!!

Good luck and keep us posted. The VCUG is NOT fun, just to let you know. Mariss had her test done when she was a little older than your son. Thank GOD they don't remember things (or we can hope/pretend not) at this age. It's just us poor, guilty mom's who have to go through the guilt!! Intellectually we know it's for their own good; however, when you see your child scared and screaming in pain on the table during these tests and they even make you hold them down, it's SO hard to remember it!! My heart goes out to you!! I will send good vibes to you that day. Know that you aren't alone during his testing. I will be there holding your hand and comforting BOTH of you!!

Take care of the both of you!