Persephone has Graduated!

Hello hello HELLOOOOOOO! :lol:

Sorry I've been out of the loop for a bit but that is because I was in St Andrews having the time of my life!!!

Ok, where to begin.....Tuesday itself was the big day of my ceremony, and it was beautiful- warm and sunny, and I was in my black gown all day :P --I was so excited! My folks and I had a family portrait done in the morning and then my mum said "I just have to pick something up from the shop"--then she and Dad walk me into this art gallery and it turns out they bought me this beautiful painting of St Andrews that I had admired so much two days earlier. I had NO idea they would do this, and when the penny finally dropped, I started to cry--I couldn't speak--and even the gallery proprieter started to well up! :( it was just such a beautiful and kind thing to do.

The ceremony was AWESOME! :lol::D I was so nervous I would fall- I had to kneel and then stand up again, but it was OK! :blink: I managed FINE ;) At St Andrews you get your degree conferred by being bopped on the head with old fabric which formed part of John Knox's breeches! :huh: My surrogate mother of a tutor Barbara winked at me just before I went across the stage and was SO proud! :D My Mum and Dad had the best seats in the house too, so they got to see everything. :rolleyes:

Seamus Heaney got an honorary degree too and that was so perfect- I am a huge fan of his poetry and to be gowned up with him was such a gift! B)

He came to the garden party afterwards, and you won't believe what happened! :D:D One of my tutors came over (Douglas Dunn, another famous poet as it happens) and I gave him a hiug, telling how pleased I was to be graduating etc etc, then I said "I brought some of Seamus' books, do you think he would maybe like to sign them?" There I was, expecting to have to barge up to him in conversation and cheesily ask Seamus himself. But Douglas Dunn smiled and said "Come with me--" and took me by the arm to Seamus. I was presented to Seamus by a Professor! Douglas said "This young lady is one of our top graduates, with a sparkling first class honours degree in spite of serious medical problems. She's a very able young lady. Seamus, you'll sign her books, of course, won't you?" And Seamus turns, smiles at me, HUGS me and says "Why OF COURSE!" ahhhhhh! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Barbara came too, and I just gave her such a HUGE hug--she was really delighted that I finished so well, and she's always helped me in any way she can. It was very emotional- I kept saying "I can't believe I'm here, this day nearly never happened..." :unsure: And she beamed at me and replied "Of course this day was coming--you are a very determined young lady." :rolleyes: I spoke to the head of school too, and told him how proud I had felt to beling to St Andrews and he said he'd like me back- I told him that would be my dream come true!

It's nice to part on good terms and for my last memories to be positive :lol: Especially after so much has happened! :P

Did any of you see Prince William's graduation on tv on Thursday? He was 2 days after me and I saw him come out too. He looked very handsome! If any of you did see it, I hope you were thinking of me! I was bopped on the head just like he was to get the degree. I got interviewed by Sky News and apparently I was shown saying "He was no prince here, just another ordinary student." My Mum is quoted in The Times, too, saying what a nice young man he seemed. It's true though- I used to see him around campus a lot and he was always civil.

The ball was the best--I danced til 3am. I don't know how I managed it but I did! It was an awesome night, in the main St Salvator's quad. I kept seeing people I knew. I ceilidhed!I didn't think I would ever manage to ceilidh again after my POTS got bad- but I did! It left me a bit out of puff, but I soon recovered! ;) There was a CHOCOLATE FOUNTAIN! Ahhhhh!

I saw William there too, it was late and I was tipsy-it must've been about 2.30 am, and I said to him as we were both queuing at the bar "Look, I'm tipsy and I'm going to say this just once-" he looked at me and smiled and I said "Your mum would have been so proud of you this week." He took my arm and said "Thanks, that was really sweet of you." :)

I didn't want the night to end at 3, so my friend Dave lent me his dinner jacket (I just had my dress and stole- it was pretty chilly!) and we went down to the beach with lots of other people. Then we walked along the sand as the sun came up. We walked all the way back up the hill to the caravan and I didn't get in til almost 5. I was still a bit merry even then! My mum and dad decided that that would be the time to leave St andrews for the long drive home (Bristol's about 9 hours away)...so I had virtually no sleep yesterday.

Ths week made me feel like I have a chance to get a life back again! To be somewhere where I matter-where I can't walk down the street without seeing someone I know- my GOD it was SO refreshing! I don't know if you guys find that loneliness is the killer with POTS if it makes you isolated. But in St Andrews everything and everyone is with in walking distance. I'm going to miss that place. It's breaking my heart to have left. But I'm keeping myself going by thinking that I'll go back there, either for the doctorate or for a position if it pops up.

So....that's my week. and why I've not been about! I have returned now though, so I shall soon be chipping in again on all the gossip and conversation...

Persephone, I want to express my sincere congratulations to you for your degree and hard work. Your post was so full of good news and how enjoyable to be shared with all of us here. thank you. Your parents sound loving and now you have a beautiful artwork keepsake along with your memories. I am so glad you got to enjoy all the post graduation activities.

here's to a bright future ahead!

Persephone,

I don't completely know why, but your story has really touched my heart and I had to stop and wipe my eyes a few times as I read this. What a glorious night - oh what I wouldn't give to have a night like that again! Thank you so much for sharing it and please be sure to post some pictures on the face os dinet for us to see!

Love Roselover

Hi Persephone: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!

You are sooo inspiring for all of us: there is hope!!!!

After all the trouble you had, I'm so very happy for you. Couldn't read all of your story, but do know that I'm getting hope out of YOUR victory.

Best wishes, persephone!

Corina

COngradulations!!!!!!! I am so proud of you!! It sound like you had an awesome experience this past week, how exciting!

COngrats!!

Linda

Dear P -

thank you so much for sharing your wonderful times with us...i too got a bit teary eyed as i read...perhaps some mix of happiness & elation for you, reminders of my own triumphant graduation (after a super-ill semester) in 2002, and hopefullness for feeling as well as you have been myself. it was great to be able to live vicariously through your successess & adventures (although it did make me a wee bit jealous :) )

conGRADulations & thanks again for letting us all share in on the fun,

:-)melissa

You are on your way!! Your enthusiasm and delight regarding your graduation and festivities really made reading your account a pleasure. Thank you so much for sharing. You are quite an inspiration. Keep that attitude, and nothing in this world will stop you from achieving what you hope for. God bless!

Karen

Guest tearose

Hooray! You did it! I felt like I was there watching in person!

You have every reason to celebrate!

I think you have the beginnings of a great future!

Go for it!

congratulations! tearose

Thanks everyone...I sent Katharine some pics for the website, but if anyone knows of a way to post some here I would happily do so. for now I have the web addresses of my pictures which SHOULD take you to them...there are only a few that we took with our digital camera...let me know if you can see em! Here are the www addresses as I use photobucket....dunno if this will work, you all know how rubbish I am with technology!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/kyliemm/e9498ca0.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/kylie...ylieseamus2.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/kylie...ylieseamus1.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/kyliemm/ch2.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/kyliemm/barbara.jpg

Guest tearose

Oh what beautiful pictures! You look great and so happy! And smart! I pictured myself going into the tent for some refreshments and raising my mug to you! Again congrats!!!

tearose

the pictures are grand! you look beautiful, as do all of the surroundings. such a nice p.s. to having read your story already...you described things so well though that i almost felt as if i'd already seen the pictures!!

:-)melissa

It's so nice to be able to share cheerful stuff with you guys when it happens- god knows we have enough gloomy things to last us a life time! It was just such a beautiful day. I still feel so shocked that it happened, and that I managed to go across the stage with no stick! In fact I went all day with no stick! And ditto for the ball, too! hehehe :)

Guest Mary from OH

Persephone,

Oh my...... how breathtaking!! Congratulations seems so inadequate!!! :rolleyes:

And to be in the company of the Prince? And all those famous poets, and not a POTS spell in sight!!?? God was truly watching over you!! I am SO happy for you!! You truly deserve it!!

What a wonderful memory to last you a lifetime!!! Now, the next time you are in your deepest of POTSholes, I want you to drag out this memory and I guarantee you that you won't be in there long!!!

Again, many congratulations!!!! You earned it!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Just wanted to add my congratulations! :D You should be very proud of this accomplishment. I loved reading about your wonderful day..it reminded me of my "college days". It's nice to be reminded that there are still fun times to be had..even after POTS.

I think it's soooo cool that you spoke with the Prince..I just read an article about him in People...guess I'm being cheesy..but WOW..what a story you have to tell for the rest of your life! :rolleyes:

Congrats again P..hope you continue to do well! Thanks for sharing your special day with us!