Wondering How Many People Have Found They Have Low Vitamin D Levels

blueskies

I was told in october my vitamin d levels were in the teens (can't remember the exact number) so my intergrated medicine doctor put me on d3 5000 twice a day and I've definitely noticed a marked difference...certainly more energy. It's understandable that my levels would be so low because I avoid the sun in the hotter months (very sensitive, burn-prone skin) and the heat of summer makes me feel much worse so I stay indoors. I also don't eat fish (besides the occasional tuna sandwich) and seafood is really high in vitamin d, so i'm not getting it from outdoors or in my diet.

Hi,

I didnt have time to read through all the posts above me. I do have very Low Vitamin D. I have been taking 10,000 units of Vit D a day for 8 months now and my levels are starting to improve but are still not where my doc & nautropath want them to be.

I can't tell a difference on whether I feel better or not. If I happen to forget to take it one day, it doesnt change my symptoms or overall well being that day

Hello everyone.

I just had a yearly physical last week. my D is a 19 and something on there said <4. Not sure I read it correctly but they called in the D2 50,000iu. I am VERY hesitant to take this supplement.... I am willing to try, in hopes that something, anything, will help me to feel better but I've heard terror stories of feeling sick from such high dose of the vitamin. I already take a really good raw, whole foods vitamin with 1,000D but apparently that isn't helping any. I do not eat meat or fish, not sure what other foods could supply D. I am indoors all day, so, being in the sun is hard, I'm not opposed, just not able.

Anyways, I just wanted to jump in and say that I am also in the Low-D club :)

I too have low vitamin D. I have about a 14. I started to take 1,000 mg of D3 once per day at my neurologists recommendation (I know this is much lower than most other doctors prescribe). I started to feel very ill from the supplement. Jittery, heart paliptations and everything on such a low dose. I read somewhere that vitamin D can use up magesium (which my blood work did not show as being low but I am a long term Nexium user). I paired my D3 with a low dose of Magnesium Calm and found that got rid of my vitamin D supplement side effects. We hardly get any sun up in Vermont but I will be making a point to get outside more next summer! I also plan on seeing a naturopathic doctor and will see if she wants to check my vitamin D levels.

Mine is normal but I also take a vitamin with it in it and tan occasionally.

I've heard some people argue vitamin d our bodies make from sun exposure isn't used the same as oral vitamin d, but I've never researched it looking at scientific articles. My guess is its like most anything where if you can get it naturally from nature's intended source, our body can use it best. If we can't get it from nature, our body will make do with the man made/extracted form.

My aunt who tends to have autonomic and immune type symptoms when she comes down ill, but not POTS (although my POTS does come from that side) was feeling so tired. She thought her thyroid medications needed adjusted base on past experience. It turned out she had low vitamin . She was skeptical when the doctor said they needed to get her D levels up and see how she feels before adjusting her medication. She felt much better with a supplement and medication adjustments were unnecessary! My conclusions were if low D can make a fairly healthy, active person feel awful, imagine what it does to us and that oral vitamin D must do something if she saw a change.

Phew! That got long!

I watched a segment on vitamin D on the Dr. Oz show last night and he said that 3/4's of the population are vitamin D deficient. So, if that's true, it's more common to be deficient than I thought.

I just had a tooth break this week and I asked my dentist if low vit D could have contributed to it breaking and he said no. Dr Oz said that it's needed for strong bones and teeth. So, who knows???

please read this!!

which test did you get? d 25 or d 1.25?

also some people have low d 25 but high 1.25 and this could be problematic when supplementing with vitamin D

i also got really low result of vitamin d 25 but unfortunately couldnt get tested for 1.25 and this is put doubt in me for supplementing since if i have high 1.25 it could be harmful.

low d 25 could be caused by many things/health issue. n some people convert d 25 too much to d 1.25 causing it to be low n d 1.25 to be high.