Juicing Or Nutribullet-Ing And Pots

Hello :)

I juiced for breakfast and lunch last summer for about 2 plus months and had some issues (Pots acting up but also having to stand so long to do it..) so I quit. Then about a week ago I started using a nutribullet to make breakfast and lunch..

broccoli, kale, spinach, flax seed, frozen banana, frozen blueberries, pecans, sunflower seeds... Since I had gestational diabetes with my son (5 years ago) I figured the fiber from using the nutribullet would be a good thing..

The nutribullet is super fast to use and since you drink right out of the cup you blend in, clean up is easy.. Ie: no long standing for juicing or clean up.

The last few mornings my body has been sending me warnings.. sugar levels felt unstable.. then this morning the tunnel vision started..

I also started taking Raspberry Keytones, resveratrol and a multi vitamin..

Does any one know of any veggies, nuts etc that can help? Maybe I don't have the most beneficial blend.. or maybe I am not getting something in there that I need.. or maybe the suppliments are messing with me..

Anyone else juice or blend for meals?

Thanks! :)

Hi there,

In the general discussion forum. We have been messaging bck and forth about what we are both trying :)

I don't know much about taking raspberry keytones and other vitamins.

I have also added a vegan protein powder that you can get at Walmart or gnc....

I typically add spinach,bananas, strawberries, flax seed, and some avocado to make it more smoothie consistency.

I am usually full after drinking this.

You can add orange juice if you find your sugars bottoming.....

Take care

I nutribullet all the way: Kale, kiwi, coconut water, kashi good friends cereal and strawberry kefir and chia seeds. The recipe doesn't seem to affect my POTS and as for the nutribullet - best invention ever. So easy. If I ever get better I'm mixing coffee, ice cream and vodka.

Looneymom,

What type of coconut oil do you use??

So far we've nutribulleted every morning (except today) and the best I've come up with that my kids say is "not too bad" is: spinich, organic frozen berries, activia yogurt, honey and coconut milk. I haven't tried adding any seeds, protien powder or anything because I have to find out if they interact with the meds I'm on.

Thus far, best way to get fruits and veg into all of us even if it is only one time a day :) Of course we have veg with every dinner meal.

I use Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. I bought it on sale at GNC this month. To melt it, I put the quanity I want in a glass bowl and then sit this glass bowl inside another glass bowl filled with hot water. If you microwave it, you might destroy its nutrients.

My sons and I like spinach, orange, banana, pinapple and blueberries. I blend this first and then add the coconut oil. If not sweet enough, I add stevia.

I thought that the advertisement for raspberry ketones said that it affected blood sugars? I don't know much about this.

Anyhow, it is possible you may need to speak to a nutritionist to make sure you are getting all need from your drinks. For example, from where are you getting proteins and fats?

Other than that, I don't know enough to comment.

I just got a vitamix about a month ago. I love it, despite how ridiculously loud it is.

My favorite fruit smoothie has some fresh pineapple (with core), a green apple (cored and seeded - red apples, I leave the core in and just seed it, but granny smith cores give a bitter aftertaste to the smoothie), a banana, a hefty scoop of plain greek yogurt and a glass of ice.

The pineapple is sweet enough to hide a big handful of spinach completely. I tried to get my mother to try it, but she was turned off by the green color...so I added a handful of blackberries to turn it purple, and lied about the spinach. :lol: She loved it.

I can't say that I've really noticed a difference in my POTS because of the change, honestly. But I'm going to stick with it. I've tried all-veggie smoothies (carrots, celery, cucumber, spinach, etc) but, aside from the taste which will take some getting used to (a dash of hot sauce helps), all that fiber really doesn't digest well for me. I'll still be full 6 hours later. Not fun. But I'm still experimenting.

Next up, fresh ginger in a smoothie.

I have a (non-POTS) friend that eats only healthy stuff. Fruits, vegetables, fish, healthy grains like quinoa, some dairy, very little bread/carbs, mostly organic. She is older than me and has the most energy of any person I know. so I am tempted to incorporate more of that into my diet. Except I get bloated/constipated when I eat too many veggies. And I think I need salt to keep up my BP. If anyone has any ideas of how to do this, I would be interested.

I agree with you to a point, but I've only seen limited credible research to support that and nothing that really pieces out the cooked/raw nutrient levels vs the amount a person can absorb in one sitting. I've seen a few retrospective studies, usually examining dietary habits questionaires and cancer occurrence/reoccurrence. Bladder cancer and cruciferous veggies, prostate cancer and lycopene etc.

For example, broccoli definitely should be eaten raw - studies correlate raw broccoli consumption to increased bladder cancer survival - but eating it just once a month seems to give you the benefit. In contrast we know that lycopene and carotenoids are increased after cooking - but how much does that matter? How much do we actually absorb?

I honestly think it's kind of a crapshoot on what combination is best.

I have a vitamix and I use a nut milk bag to eliminate the fiber when I green juice. (w my gastro issue the fiber is hard to process but I really need the micronutrients.). It does take a bit of planning and work and when I am fatigued I just don't get it done but I learned a helpful tip from Rich a few weeks back that has really helped:

ELIMINATE THE FRUIT!

(well maybe not all- for taste, but most.)

I was having more nausea after juicing and didn't know why. I listed my ingredients and Rich pointed out that most of my ingredients were fruit. Well, the sugar in the fruit immediately turns to acid once it hits the stomach- no wonder I was having such an issue- and since I was eliminating the fiber I was getting too much straight sugar. I do use organic apple juice to process this green juice so there is some sweetness but have found the following recipe to work great:

- big bunch of kale (stems removed)

- handful of parsley (stems removed)

- handful of romaine

- couple stalks celery

- 1/2 cucumber

- thumb sized piece of Ginger

With a cup or two or apple juice. It still tastes good to me- not nearly as sweet. And because it is low in sugar it is much easier to press through the nut milk bag- saving my energy. Clean up is almost as easy as a nutribullet. I love my Vitamix. (there is a recent thread about "Vitamix" on this forum for more info.

Kelly, do you remove the stems for any reason in particular?

I'm having so much fun with my Vitamix, throwing previously inedible parts in it, that I was curious if removing the stems is habit or if they taste bad (are poisonous? But I'm thinking not, haha)

I have been drinking alot of fruit smoothies with kale or spinach mixed in, I think that's a good way to start out with the whole green smoothie/juicing thing because if you mix a bunch of kale into a fruit smoothie you honestly cannot taste it at all. I have been meaning to start experimenting with seeds and so forth. Any time I can hide healthy veggies in my food its a magical thing for me. Also I have used non-soy vegan protein powders before and had no problem, I try to stay away from whey and soy.