Does anyone have nausea?

I have Pots and my primary symptom is never ending, severe nausea. Does anyone else have this? What helps it? I'm taking injectible Zofran, Compazine, Tigan and Marinol and it breaks through. I've had it a year and a half and I think I'm going insane now. I'm just really desperate for answers. The docs at Mayo Clinic Scottsdale don't know why I'm this sick. Does anyone else have an experience with nausea like this? Is this a Pots symptom?

Hi,

i get badddddd nausea and i have whenever i've started going downhill since the beginning of my problems. i've had pretty bad nausea and vomiting this week...had to get an iv yesterday. and i think in the few days i've been on this forum, i've noticed posts about other people having nausea. But, i dunno.

I was given an iv and then phergan...phenergan knocks you out, though, so that is a big downside...it makes you loopy. But it works pretty well. i only threw up once on it and i think that's when it ran out. but i dunno.

nausea is soooooooooo miserable, tho.

so i'm sorry u have this! i am praying for you!

what i try to do is sit really still after i drink a little sip and then hope i'll hold it down. same goes for crackers (or whatever food stays down for you and is simple...some people say on here that crackers aggravate pots, tho) if u can get to that point, hopefully. my doctor today told me to eat a little at a time and drink a little at a time or else your stomach will stretch and then it'll send the food back up (if you're having a problem with vomiting). and also avoid acidic foods like tomato stuff, oj, etc.

But, nausea is horrible, regardless of whether u vomit. so sorry you're so miserable!

Feel better!!!!!!!!!!!!

HUGS!!!

love lots,

sun!

When I am very symptomatic the nausea is always part of the package. For me, keeping my fluid levels high helps. So compression hose, more salt, more water, more electroyltes etc.

Other things that help some of the time include very cold aloe vera papya juice, or ginger tea -- but not together.

Good luck finding something that works for you.

EM

I have nausea every day...sometimes horrible, sometimes not so bad, but it's never gone away in as many years as I can recall.

Levsin helps me sometimes, but again, doesn't make it "go away." Wish I had something more hopeful to say on this topic, but I've not been successful at finding a solution other than to learn to cope mentally.

Nina

Hi,

My 19 yr. old daughter has had POTS for 3 1/2 years now, and her number one complaint has always been the nausea. It does comes and goes with severity, but I don't think it is ever completely gone. She has purchased those elastic wrist bands from our AAA store that seem to help her. (They're the ones for sea sickness, with a pressure point on them). The AAA lady says a lot of people purchase them when they're on chemo and they seem to help them also. Sometimes saltines help her, sometimes they don't. She should definetely drink more fluids than she does--I don't know if it would help the nausea, but it can't hurt with the POTS. She also never really has an appetite. I don't know if that's related to the nausea or not. But I have to remind her to eat (wish that was my problem!). All the Dr.'s are stumped about the nausea--"It's gotta be the POTS" is what they all say. If you find any remedies--PLEASE share them with us.

Patti

Ginger tea can be good for nausea, although I've never developed a taste for it.

Many pregnant women who visit the herb store where I work part-time swear by the stuff.

I only get nausea really bad if I'm tachy all day and night. I don't get it very often, but it is an awful feeling. :angry:

Gena

I am so sorry to hear you also experience such horrible nausea. I had constant nausea for 7 months. I felt like I was in my first trimester of preganacy that never went away. One of the symptoms of POTS is slow gastric emptying (gastroparesis) and my gastro doctor said this is what casues the nausea. So i eat an extremely blan diet and never eat out unless it's soup. Unfortunately I have alot of starchy foods -pasta, crackers, rice, cereal etc. that is what seems to sit the best for me. I take pheregan when needed.

I started to see a chiropractor and I've only had a few days of nausea in the last 2 months so I don't know if this is just temporary but I'm lovin' it.

My nausea can be debilitating and I sympathize with you. At first my husband had to take family leave so he could take care of my 3 kids for the first 3 months I got sick.

I hope if POTS can get under control so can the nausea. I'll pray for you

dayna

I have episodes of nausea, sometimes for days. Zofran works for me. I do have delayed gastric emptying which I think plays a huge role.

My nausea got much better when I saw a physical therapist for vertigo and she did a treatment where they shake your head and watch your eyes through these goggles. I can't remember what it is called.

It has to do with these crystals that can become loose from your inner ear and float around making you dizzy and nauseated. Is your balance impaired? It really helped with that also.

Just a thought.

Dawn

waves of nausea are very common for me... The ANS system controls the intestines.....

I usually get it after eating... I also have an ulcer and find if I take Protonix it helps... Its a horrible feeling.... I hope you feel better.

I suffer from severe nausea. Phenergan doesn't do anything for me. Zofran has worked pretty well for me, although I've thrown up after taking it before. Drink plenty of fluids and increase your electrolytes.

Patti L

I'm very curious about your daughter. I told one of my docs over 3 years ago that I can't always sense hunger, either way. I have to make myself eat and I need to know when to stop. My doctor thought I was crazy, he had never heard of such a thing.

Anyway, my oldest daughter last week said the same thing, that she can't tell if she's hungry. It blew me away because we've never talked about it and I don't tell my kids what symptoms I'm usually experiencing. I'm not going to have them carrying my burden.

Steph

Hey Patti,

Not sure I have an AAA store nearby. What's the name of the bracelet your daughter has? I have heard of the Bioband, which is around $10, and the Relief Band, which is around $80. I have mild nausea from time to time, so I am thinking of getting the Bioband, but only if it really works...

Thanks,

Rita

wHEN I have bad time with nausea I find tagamet taken every 4 hours, double what they say on box (my pharmicist step-daughter says that was the perscription strength) taken for usuallly a week (will go through one box) and then the naseau will go away for long time........ I am sorry--- that is an awful feeling!!!!! Sucking on peppermint seemed to help when I was pregnant--- keeping something going down all the time. I would go to sleep sucking on it......

The nausea has become a regular part of my life too. It has gotten worse for me over the past month. Now I've started throwing up. Sometimes the nasea isn't that bad when I start getting sick. I try to keep something to sip on with me at all times. I 've found CF coke and the new scooby doo graham crackers help with the nausea. the crackers disolve real easy in your mouth so you don't have to chew. I also take OTC zantac. good luck

Joyce