Tachycardia If I Have To Urinate!!

Hi everyone,

If I hold my urine in or just feel the need to urinate I notice that I get palpitations and my heart rate goes up...does anyone else experience this?? What could be causing this??

Oh my gosh!! I just got back from the bathroom, and once again, almost ran there to urinate because my heart lets me know when to go!! I have just started having this happen in the last few months. I'll be sitting and then I get that adrenaline feeling and literally, at the same time, get that "full-bladder" feeling. I know as soon as I go, the feeling goes away.

I wanted to add that I get that adrenaline feeling when my blood sugar drops, and have had that for years. A few months ago, when I would get that sensation, I would start for the kitchen to get food, but also noticed I almost couldn't wait to urinate. So, I would end up grabbing food and running to the bathroom to empty a pretty full bladder. I would eat while on the toilet. Eventually, I tested the thought that maybe my bladder was causing it at times that I should not be having hypoglycemic episodes, and sure enough, after urinating the palpitations would go away.

I have been tested for a pheochromocytoma and did not have any elevation of catecholamines. A bladder pheo causes all these symptoms. If it is not a pheo, I don't understand why it happens. Do you have a clue to why? I am going to bring it up to my doctor next week.

I think you are experiencing bladder spasms. That is an Autonomic Nervous System function; all smooth muscles can be affected; it goes for your intestines, as well. I tear from my eyes when I eat...or when I'm straining, bending over, etc. It is part of the dysautonomia. It's strange the way it effects everything. Your heart is a muscle, too, don't forget!!

I definitely get this too. I basically have all the symptoms of autonomic dysreflexia except instead of bradycardia, I have tachycardia....and I have not suffered a spinal cord injury (although lesion is still fair game).

Rissy, that is what I was wondering, too, about the autonomic dysreflexia. I know my catecholamines are normal, so no pheo. But, I had read that people with with spinal injuries get something like this. Of course I don't have an injury either, BUT, I do have the cervical stenosis. Also, I have scoliosis at the waist area and degenerative discs around the lumbar area. So, who knows? Maybe some of this is contributing. I've had POTS for 6 years but just started this in the last couple of months.

My Dad used to have this problem, and a few times mom or us kids would find him on the bathroom floor out cold with syncope with his pants arround his ankles. He had done this at work too! Next time I visit him I will have to remind him! He is 84 now and I think he was in his 30's or slightly older when this happened.

OH yes, count me in too ~

• 2 weeks later...

I get palps when I have to urinate, too. I used to think that it was because I had to go so badly, urgently, and I was concerned I'd not make it to the bathroom, so the anxiety would cause the tach and palps. But, I really don't think so as I've actually gone into palps and tach after urinating. And, my urge to urinate can just hit me all at once, along with the palps and tach. I can feel really anxious with all of this, too.

My, how we take going to the bathroom comfortably and calmly for granted when that ease goes away.

Linda

• 4 years later...

I'm wearing a holter monitor at the moment... Saturday ... Urge to urinate and racing heart etc... Cardio called this am 167. Sinus tachy. Was sitting in wheelchair whole time other than in bathroom. I did wheel myself into bathroom. Slug the rest of the day.

i love being able to use search aspect on dinet. User friendly!