Secretory issues anyone?

ginger

Here's the first of many questions wandering around in my brain:

How many of you with POTS, OH and other dysautonomias have secretory issues? That is, problems with more/less sweating, nasal drainage, saliva, vaginal discharge, etc.

Seems like my post nasal drainage is non-stop and excessive at times. Sweating mostly decreased--although I have had a few night sweats the last couple years. Strange vaginal discharge for last 6+ months that two labs have said not yeast or bacteria. Current theory that it's my leaking bladder/urine pooling and mixing with vaginal secretions. Eyes usually dry and burn, especially when overly fatigued.

Just curious.

Ginger

I have constant nasal drip, even on a slew of medications to slow it down a bit. With exertion, I seem to sweat more than the average person. Additionally, my guts seem to make lots more juice than needed to digest food. I've been on massive doses of meds to control my GI problems for about 15 years now. I first was given zantac, but even on a huge dose, I still had heart burn. Once it was released on the US market, I took prilosec 2x a day or more, and then when nexium was released my doctor switched me to that, and needing 2x a day or more.

Nina

Hi Ginger. I could have written your post--or most of it. I get phlegmy throat a LOT--especially at night. Sometimes it chokes me--it's quite unpleasant, and my husband gets to hear me make all sorts of lovely noises to clear it (typically to no avail). It's a little better in drier colder winter months, but I still get it. When I'm awake, I have to blow my nose a lot more often than other people do (I'm constantly asked whether I have a cold) ... and my nose runs a lot when I'm eating (but that part seems to run in the family :) ).

As for sweating, I don't.

I have bad dry eye all the time (same as you--terrible burning and scratchiness, especially when tired). Drops and overnight ointments help some ... I wish I'd remember to use them more. And dry mouth can come on anytime too--and when it's bad, it's wicked!

I'm 43 and still menstruating regularly ... but I've been blindsided by night sweats periodically over the last 2 years.

I guess the only thing you got that I don't got (lucky you) is the vaginal/urinary stuff. I hope this reassures you some--it does me! At least I know I'm not alone (although I've suspected since joining the forum that I'm not)! I've still wanted to post this query, and I'm glad you did.

Take 'er easy!

Merrill

Ginger,

I'm so glad you posted this question. I have been extra "phlegmy" for the past several years even prior to getting POTS. I got a weird respiratory virus in 2001 that got deep in my chest and lasted for several weeks. After it subsided, I continued to have a lot of post nasal drip and coughing up phlegm (just like Merill said, my husband I'm sure enjoys these pretty little noises! :) I'll go for months with it being barely noticeable and then it flares up again, but it's always there.

I also seem to sweat more easily than pre-POTS, especially at night or if I'm in a panic situation. I have no trouble sweating while exercising. As far as the vaginal thing goes, so far I have not had any problems in that dept., but your theory about your bladder leakage sounds plausible.

I am often irritated by dry burning eyes, and a dry mouth/throat. They tested me for Sjogren's and it was negative. Oh well, I have no idea if any of this is POTS related, but I definitely think it's all related to our immune systems. Do you have an elevated ANA by chance? I do, but they don't know why. :)

Good morning all-- thanks for the responses

Sure glad I posted that question. May print this one out and save with my dysautonomia info and I'll definately mention to my local docs and to Mayo that others also have secretory issues. Of course, Mayo probably already knows that.

Haven't been tested (yet) for ANA, but I assume I'll have the works at Mayo in February.

MightyMouse, do you have side effects from the Prilosec? I had terrible diahrea with Prevacid. It seemed to help a little with healing esophagus/acid, but lousy price.

You know, just had a thought. Internally, if acid overproduction could be related to POTS, then how about hormones and cholesterol. I've got mild hypothyroidism (although last test shows it's dropping again a bit) and can't keep the cholesterol down. Hummmmmm?

Ginger

I always had a stuffy nose...hardly ever runny except for in the winter. I salavate normally and dont have night sweats and feel I sweat a lot during exercise...but I always have...probably cuz I worked out harder than anyone else in the gym. I used to use the elicpital trainer for 45 minutes and I was going around 180-200 rotations per minute....thats unheard of...and the funny thing was, my heart still would not go up very high...only like 140-160s. Not too bad when my max HR was like 200-205...at my spead of exercise I should have been there. (Oh I cant wait until I can do that again...I'll be overjoyed.) My eyes have become dry since obtaining these issues...but it took a while for them to become this way...6 months. Check to see if your legs are sweating in paticular...the same nerves that control the tightness of your lower peripheral veins are the ones that make your legs sweat. Also check hair growth. Retarded hair growth of the distal legs is a sign of a mild peripheral neurorapthy. My legs sweat fine but seem to have slow hair regrowth...so go figure!!

oh ya...I have had the ANA test done...very negative!!

I have only recently begun sweating a little again after 2 1/2 years. I actually thought it was a positive sign that something might be coming back. I did have a vaginal discharge for a while when initally ill that no one could explain except to say that it was probably related to excessive extrogens. My eyes burn, very dry, especially in this cold weather with forced air heat. Martha

its a relief to hear i'm not the only one! i''m always stuffed up, nose so congested, and having to constantly clear my throat, especially when lying down or after eating and i sweat very easily and bad in the night, and when i get panicky, and yes i have alot of vaginal discharge, wish there was something to help all this, the antihistamines dont make a big difference,

radha

My nose is always so dry, it constantly has sores and stuff in it. Then I catch my first cold in 10 years. I finally got antibiotics from my ent after a month when I found out my hearing was going. I just finished them two days ago and caught another cold yesterday! I can't believe this. I never get upper respiratory stuff and now two in two darn months. So not sure what's going on. Feeling like my immune system is shot. I'm so used to being dry everywhere, and I mean everywhere, this is horrible. So I guess I can finally relate. bummer....morgan

Guest Mary from OH

Ginger,

Yep!! Sounds like me!! But, I do have SEVERE allergies too! But, who knows, it could be related to POTS too! I have horrible night sweats and have had problems on/off with vaginal discharge my whole life too... Interesting! My eyes are goopy and dry!! Figure that one out!! Again, I always attributed it to allergies and am also waiting to be diagnosed with (I think) Sjogener's syndrome or something like that. (my mom has it - symptoms - cold hands, dry eyes, etc).

It's amazing how all this stuff we have is related to POTS.... Sometimes I just have to sit back and laugh!! (that way I don't cry!!)

My nose runs every time I eat or chew gum, or just for no reason at all. Sometimes it gets really sore either from the burning discharge or from the continual wiping. And sometimes the sinus drip and such related things are really horrible.

I have had terrible night sweats but they are pretty rare now. I have vaginal discharge that comes and goes but is there more than not. My eyes are usually dry but sometimes will be teary and sometimes gummy. And my mouth can get really dry and tacky (the physical mouth, not what comes out when I speak - although sometimes that fits there as well!). Another thing I used to have lots of trouble with was sweating, but that now seems to be back to normal.

Unfortunately the hair on my legs grows at a normal pace but the hair on my head has thinned greatly over the past 15 years. I wish I could switch those 2 things!

I think I'm the only person I know that keeps a large box of kleenex in the middle of the kitchen table. I can't make it through a meal without blowing my nose about 3xs. Sometimes I'll just look down and my nose starts flowing. I'm sick of a snotty nose :P

Helpful Hint - My nose use to get raw from blowing until I switched to kleenex with aloe or you can by soft tissue. It has made a huge difference!

I haven't actually reached that point of kleenex on the table, but the bathroom is so close that I can usually run there - or just grab a napkin instead. I always have tissues in my pocket or purse (pocketless clothes make me nervous, especially if I'm in public without my purse!). I also keep a box of them on the floor by the leg of my piano, by the TV, in the bedroom, in my car and in my husband's car. I should own stock in Scott and Kleenex and a couple of others!

I did try the lotioned tissues but I couldn't tell when using them if I "got it all" or not. They are so smooth that it always felt like there was still stuff needing to be wiped. The physical discomfort seems better than the psychological worry of something dripping (or worse) that you didn't know was there. I guess I could use those at home, though, where it wouldn't matter if I missed a drop or two. (My poor hubby has to put up with so much . . . eeeeeewwwwww!). :-)

My nose runs every time I eat or chew gum, or just for no reason at all. Sometimes it gets really sore either from the burning discharge or from the continual wiping. And sometimes the sinus drip and such related things are really horrible.

I have had terrible night sweats but they are pretty rare now. I have vaginal discharge that comes and goes but is there more than not. My eyes are usually dry but sometimes will be teary and sometimes gummy. And my mouth can get really dry and tacky (the physical mouth, not what comes out when I speak - although sometimes that fits there as well!). Another thing I used to have lots of trouble with was sweating, but that now seems to be back to normal.

Unfortunately the hair on my legs grows at a normal pace but the hair on my head has thinned greatly over the past 15 years. I wish I could switch those 2 things!

Sometimes I think God has a pretty quirky sense of humor... as we age hair thins where we want it and migrates to where we don't! :blink: And then throw in the POTS symptoms on top of aging! :lol:

ohmygosh! there are other people out there who keep kleenex EVERYWHERE???? :blink:

me too! next to everything. my roomates in college didn't understand why i wanted to keep a box of kleenex in our living room! :lol:

also, let's see. i sweat a LOT, though not as much lately. i feel like my band directors that we used to make fun of in h.s. with my sweat circles in the summer! sleeveless shirts only! :) i've sweat stained a lot of clothes.

vaginal discharge...yup. need to own stock in toilet paper too, not just kleenex. no idea what it is from...just lots of yuck. and sweating 'down there'.

and a runny nose all of the time. yup.

let's see, what other secretions did you want to know about??? or didn't you want to know all of that???? he-he.

did i just share all of this? uh-oh. no wonder i can't get a date! :)

by the way, loved your topic heading title! :) so clever.

oh, eyes, they feel dry all of the time.

later alligators!

emily