Intolerance To All Drugs That Act On The Autonomic System

Troy

Interesting comment from Dani (that klonopin helps with med hypersensitivity).... I don't think I've ever tried klonopin, but had unhappy results with diazepam. A doctor prescribed it to help with nighttime anxiety and insomnia. I did the usual thing - split a tablet into smaller bits - and tried it several times. If and when I did manage to sleep, it was a dopey, groggy sort of dozing, and I woke up feeling worse than usual (completely drugged and achy). It also seems to really depress me. (I have neurally mediated hypotension, not POTS - maybe that's got something to do with it??)

Sorry to go on about it - but I'm just happy to find other people that don't tell me that this hypersensitivity is in my head! :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent tried any other benzo than klonopin. Its the only drug I can take that will help with my drug sensitivities. My doctor thinks its because it slows down my ANS so when i do try a new medication, it wont over react. I dont have to take the klonopin every time after, just the first couple times of taking a new medication.

I am sensitive to most meds and I try to 'pill split' the smallest available dose but sometimes that is nearly impossible or it splits uneven. I found an old time pharmacy that will compound most any med into a suspension and then I can very accurately take smaller doses when measuring with a 1cc syringe.

• 4 months later...

I also have a drug sensitive response. I followed up on a report I saw on a news station. If you go to www.pgxlab.com it will show you how to get your dna tested for this problem. I have a liver enzyme deficiency, so any drug or herbal that metabolizes in that enzyme is stronger then the dosage states and lasts longer. Now I have a copy of all the drugs that I can not use and that has relieved many of my problems with meds. Hope this helps.

Maggie

Joejack - I am very aware that dysautonomia is a nervous system disorder. I was responding to Maggie's post above regarding her enzyme deficiency. I would be interested to hear more about Choline. How did you make this discovery? Have any articles or links that talk about the link between taking supplements and reversing medication sensitivity? I did a quick search, but didn't find anything. Since I am so sensitive (even to vitamins) I wouldn't want to go messing with my neurotransmitters without more info. Thank you.

Naomi,

There isn't really all that much to tell about my liver enzyme deficiency. If you go to the web site it will tell you all you need to know. When I took the test it was still in it's testing mode. Now that it has been established some insurance will pay to have this testing done. What's really nice is I have an assigned doctor and I give her a call when they want me to try something new, and she checks my chart and tells me if I can take it or not. They only do pharm drugs no herbals or vitamens, so I'm instructed not to take any of those because we don't know how it is metabolized. My neuro also has a device when I see him and it tells him where the med is metabolized so now I usually just go through my doctor. If you have any more questions in regards to this just feel free to ask. As to what JoeJack101 was writing about, if one has a liver enzyme deficiency nothing will cure it, it's a birth defect, I was born with this and has nothing to do with my having pots.

Maggie

• 7 months later...

Here's the point: I have a solution for you. Go out and buy some Choline (as Choline Bitartrate) or Phosphatidyl Choline at a local Vitamin Shoppe or supplement store, and take a little bit. Slowly this somehow desensitizes your nervous system receptors and tricks them into not being so sensitive anymore. It worked for me. It will leave you permanently much less sensitive to the effects of drugs, however do not take too much. Somehow, taking too much will take your body too far, leaving you with fatigue and will cause drugs to start having the REVERSE effects on you, kinda weird huh?

A fascinating bit of advice there. I have edited this post - i agree with what you are saying about sensitisation. And am very interested in your response to Choline.

In relation to the liver enzyme abnormality you may need to consider that in POTS there can be massive thoratic blood volume reductions. Since the liver is relatively high in the chest at least in postural hypotension there can be a 45% reduction in blood perfusion and the consequences of this are poor liver function and impaired metabolism of many medications.

I have a liver enzyme deficiency, so any drug or herbal that metabolizes in that enzyme is stronger then the dosage states and lasts longer

Its interesting that many people on this site attribute their sensitivity to medications to these types of liver enzyme abnormalities. They are also present in people without POTS and never seem to result in the excessive responses many POTS patients experience.

it is also interesting that NET deficiency has been shown to result in an increase in sensitivity to vasoactive medications. And ofcourse my point about liver hypoxia above.

The effects go away at the same speed as for everyone else

Actually there are several members in this board that do claim that medications 'build up' in there systems.

POTS is a type of Dysautonomia which is a disorder of the nervous system, not the liver. We are not talking about a liver disorder; we are instead talking about a nervous system disorder.

And I was talking about a liver enzyme deficiency. And in some people POTS may not actually be a nervous system disorder - there may be abnormal expression of vasodilating molecules that warp the autonomic systems compensations. But Ill leave that debate for another day.

Hi Endure! I read your post. Sorry about your issues. Your reactions are very very similar. I too have severe reactions to any type of medications. I actually had these severe drug reactions when in the hospital as a young girl in my 20's after surgery or other small procedures and if they gave me valium, morphine or anything like that my blood pressure would go high and then I would feel as if I was burning up and then my blood pressure would drop low and my heart rate went too low also. It was scary! At one point they told me that I was very close to death. It caused awful seizures on top of it sometimes. Anyhow, this didn't happen again until over a decade later. I developed a severe lung infection that lasted 2 years-it damaged my central nervous system and now this happens several times a year. And just simple medication like Pepto Bismol or even Gas X, does exactly what you described. The small episodes are so uncomfortable and I feel an anxiety that I've never felt before and my heart rate and blood pressure go like a yo-yo. If I start to burn up and black out, my family puts me in a cold tub.(not full of water, no one wants to drown, but they pour ice cold water over my back and it helps to bring the blood pressure back up) Doctor laughed when I told him my families emergency procedure and said, it must be causing the blood vessels to constrict bringing the blood pressure and oxygen back into my brain. I actually have turned blue on occasion. Anyhow, I even took some magnesium and ended up in the ER a few months back, it caused terrible anxiety. It over stimulated my immune system something terribly. So not even sure I would be able to take what JoeJack recommended but will check into it. Prior to the lung infection I never had any sensitivity to alcohol, but now just one teaspoon will make me black out instantly and then I get so sick and nauseated with blood pressure issues. So my delicious warm red wines are no longer a part of my life, but I like a good sparkling grape juice. lol Just giving you some support. I'm fascinated to see what you find out. Sounds like we have the same reactions. Let me know if you find and answer and I will do the same. Good health to you!

Was your over dose with an opiate? I overdosed on hydrocodone when I was a teenager and ever since I cannot tolerate them at all. They make me extremely ill to the point I couldn't even take anything but Tylenol after my csection. I believe it is my body rejecting it because of how sick I got from taking too many. Maybe you are having a similar situation

Thank you for the information JoeJack. I'm aware of what Choline is. I would be nervous about adding anything although my body already makes it because my body has an unidentified autoimmune situation which causes me to react to many things, even if they are naturally occuring. I took 1/8 of a teaspoon of magnesium and it sent me to the ER. The first time I took levothyroxine my body over reacted to it. Also, a dab of plain simple progesterone, which was made as natural as possibly, sent me to the ER. My own hair on my head showed up as a border line allergy. Even though all of these are naturally occurring, my body goes into some type of autonomic reaction. So, I have to be extra careful. These episodes are ridiculous and I can't believe this is my life now, but it is what it is. But thank you for the information anyhow.

Yeah I get that from a food that I once got food poisoning from. I often try to eat it still and I always get a strange reaction almost instantly.

A few people over the years have mentioned that choline and medications that interact with acetylcolhine receptors or degradation seem to improve this symptom for them.

Cant say Ive noticed as thankfully that part of my POTS has departed while the dizziness and syncope seems to predominate.

• 8 years later...

I've never overdosed but withdrew from 4 substances cold-turkey simultaneously, albeit most relatively harmless in nature but all act on the CNS, and think I may have developed pots because of it. Low dose of ritalin (10-15 mg) for 18 months (taken breaks before), small amount of nicotine for 4 months, 500-1000 mg of caffeine for around 10 years, and then chronic marijuanna use. I have been reading a lot about protracted/acute withdrawal and see that it can mimic signs of acute intoxication. Not sure if anyone knows anything more.