Do You Talk To Yourself?

lieze

How many of you have to have a silent dialogue with yourself to fight through the feelings?

I was just in Kmart-the further to the back of the store I got the more panicky I got.

Everything was looking weird, got the urge to pee, and my chest felt just a bit tight,

so I went to the restroom and just told myself I was getting out of this "fun house".

Do you have to fight the mental messages and tell yourself you're okay I think I compromised with myself said okay enough we'll go home now. But I did try to convince myself that I would make it out alive, I'm making progress there.

Do you talk to yourself and what do you say?

How many of you have to have a silent dialogue with yourself to fight through the feelings?

I was just in Kmart-the further to the back of the store I got the more panicky I got.

Everything was looking weird, got the urge to pee, and my chest felt just a bit tight,

so I went to the restroom and just told myself I was getting out of this "fun house".

Do you have to fight the mental messages and tell yourself you're okay I think I compromised with myself said okay enough we'll go home now. But I did try to convince myself that I would make it out alive, I'm making progress there.

Do you talk to yourself and what do you say?

Yes, I do this all the time. I try to convince myself, you can do this, you can shower and not pass out. Or, I will tell myself, you can handle the pain. It is a constant inner battle. I also wonder if other people can see on my face what I am fighting inside. It's almost like I am embarrassed by how I feel.

My husband and a few friends, can look at me and tell what's going on. My husband is so tuned in that he can tell before me when I'm going to have a hot flash.

I think we all talk to ourselves. We have to be our own cheerleader. For some, all they/we have are ourselves. I think it's a healthy thing. Besides "we get the answers we want". RAH!RAH!RAH! WE CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you had a bit of a panic attack in the store. I do that allot too. Part of it are the lights in the store. Try your sunglasses. They are a fashion statement, you know. It might help you get through the experience. Try getting your knees up to your chest, by squatting or sit in a chair and bend over and tie your shoe. Sometimes that will help the panic feel to get better. Then sit there and take a few deep breathes, look around you and realize you're okay and you can do it!!! It's part of the things we have to learn to deal with.

nope :unsure: should I?

When I first started out with this I would just make it worse by getting extra panicky! My chiropractor told me that once the body gets to a certain point heart rate wise that the brain will start to freak out cause obviously there is something going on and it isnt right! He suggested I do a self talk when it happened and it helped out ALOT! I still do it even when I just feel really "odd" as I refer to it. I just say this too shall pass...you've been thru it a 1000 times now. Hugs!

KC

Guest tearose

Yes, as long as you only do it where no body will wonder if you are bonkers or on a cell phone!

I asked a psychologist about this and she said it is healthy self-talk and to not be concerned with it.

I must add that i talk and cry in my sleep.... It has been noted in a sleep study and others have told me. :unsure: it's embarrassing...

I often have a dolly with me, so I have a variation on it when I'm not 'alone' and I'm in the car and by myself.

'Mommy's okay, mommy's fine. She's just a little sick right now and needs some water. She'll be fine. She needs to sit down and take a break. It's okay. Just sit right here in mommy's lap and she'll feel much better. Much better. There now. Oh, dear...'

I think it helps having one of them with me, because I wouldn't DARE pass out with the possibility that they could go missing! So I have more will power when I have something I need to protect. Like a dog. Or a 'baby'. And they're my 'babies' considering I can't have real children. (They're easier than real children, too. They don't need to eat and they don't argue. XD)

Often I also talk to my guardian angels or God. I'll look to my left when I feel them urge me to stop or something and be like, "I'm fine. Really. I'm fine. I can keep going. I'm tough."

I can only imagine they're smacking their foreheads because it's not tough. It's stubborn.

Edited to add:

I must add that i talk and cry in my sleep.... It has been noted in a sleep study and others have told me. :rolleyes: it's embarrassing...

LOL So do I! I also punch out in my sleep sometimes. I laugh and PUNCH. "HAHA! [PUNCH] That's so funny, Joshua..." He's a plush on my bed. I doubt he finds it funny when I smacked the heck out of him and into the floor.

Yup, I do this too. I try not to do it aloud, and if I do, I make it look like I'm talking to my daughter as she's always with me. It helps to keep me calm when my symptoms go haywire.

Yes, I do this too, even more since we've had our foster daughter placed with us (she's 17-month- old). Mornings are the toughest and I usually end up telling myself to take it slowly, crouch with my head down if I need to, just take my time and I'll make it through. As a side note, having a child has certainly made life more challenging, but I'll feel poorly either alone or with her. I'm thankful that I have the strength to care for her even if it's hard to do.

I talk to myself as a coping strategy, and my therapist also mentioned it was a healthy way to "self talk." There's no one around me to keep me going except myself and crying because I feel so nauseous and painful will only make me feel worse. So, I guess it's a survival strategy as well! :rolleyes:

I usually keep it in to myself and try not to let others see that I am suffering. I focus on other things to take my mind off of it when I have an attack. Sometimes I say "You've been through this before, so carry on." I hate having others talk to me when I have one, if they notice. My family is not very supportive much of the time. So I try to typically avoid them, when having a bad day.