Exhaustion After Bowel Movement

cordila

Does anyone else feel completely exhausted after a bowel movement? My bp drops and my pulse soars and I'm left feeling drained for sometimes hours. I understand it to be an autonomic reflex issue but am wondering if a) anyone else experiences this and :) if you have any tricks on coping with the aftermath.

thanks in advance!

WB

Janey you're exactly right, those of us with motility issues work that much harder and that's part of the problem. It's almost like the valsalva maneuver when doing the TTT, any time I have to bear down like that lifting something it wipes me out. Sorry I don't know of anything that helps either, but I'm right there with you.

Hello,

I hate having a BM... it takes everything out of me and leaves me feeling like I just ran a marathon or something. I usually have to get laying down as quickly as I can make it out of the bathroom, or actually crawl out to the couch. I also frequently get nauseous after having a BM. Things are more tolerable if I pass small volumes of stool at a time, so I do the best being somewhat constipated. You are not alone... I wish I had some advice to offer. The only thing that helps me some is taking an ice pack and cool washcloth into the bathroom to put on my face and the back of my neck. Else sometimes it helps a tiny bit if I drink cold water while in the bathroom.

~ Broken_Shell

In the NDRF conference tapes, Dr. Grubb explains how EVERYTHING in our body is influenced by ANS. The stretching of the bladder/rectum causes symptoms. So going to the bathroom ALSO triggers.

I have mentioned this numerous times before..there is bladder syncope and defecation syncope. At least I read it years ago in ANS books articles. hope this helps.

Tho exhausting it can be normal..just rest afterwards

:)

Yup-------------this can be a problem. I find that doing breathing exercises help a little when I'm having a rough time. Straining is bad for me in more then one way, as I have the instability issues, and that enlarged vertebral artery pressing on the brain stem. More then once I've seen stars, and many times have almost passed out.

It's also a problem you don't want to bring up to your doctor because it's so embarrassing----but it's one of those that you have to bring up for your own safety.

I love days when things go easy. If I just "go" when things are working right, I don't really have any long lived ANS issues. Sometimes when my ANS acts up it makes me "go", and my ANS/POTs issues will continue to be out of sorts for a while regardless of going to the bathroom or not. I usually only have problems when my bowel motility is slow. I have had the shakes at times when I "go", but this is usually short lived. Even normal people can get a little shakey.

Maxine :0)

I've struggled with severe constipation for years, when some times I couldn't go for 7 - 8 days in a row. After heading to the hospital one too many times, one of the ER docs told me to try Senobkot. It's natural and lets you go easily. I've used one in the am and again in the pm for the last 3 years, and have had an 'easy' BM 95% of the time, on a daily. It's been a lifesaver, especially since I couldn't tolerate the other meds for IBS, like Amitiza. You can find the generic, Senna, at Target stores for about $4.00 per 100.

Hope this helps,

Jana

• 9 years later...

Hi all I have a solution to reduce fatigue after a bowel movement.

After a bowel movement, eat some bee pollen. That's it. It helps me.

I think that a lot of things happens to our body when we live an unhealthy life style and it might take a very long time to restore health. fatigue after bowel movement is a sign of living a bad lifestyle. 

another reason why this fatigue happens might be that when you eat food you are not properly digesting it and the body does not absorb enough nutrients. if you have bad emotions while eating this will stop digestion. you need to eat calmly and enjoy what you eat, and chew well until food has become liquid in your mouth and then swallow it, this will ensure your stomach digests food properly. Also eating too much, especially alot of meat, i think it makes everything worse.

also you can try to stretch the psoas muscles, some people say it's helpful for this problem.

even the mind does have a big impact on this, as well as for other problems. if you are fearful or have negative thoughts or emotions it will affect your stomach in a bad way, leading to a lot of problems.

hope this helps.

These are only my beliefs and should not be perceived as 100% truth.

Edit: this works even better: You can simply squat or stand up while passing stools.

Yes. Totally get the same things. The worst part is for me, before I even feel a cramp like I have to go, my heart rate soars, I’m dizzy and jittery like I’m going to pass out. I get nauseous too. Then I have to use the bathroom, then I have to recover. Lol some days it’s beyond terrible; others I have no symptoms. Strange but it’s been my entire life and I’m 27 years old 

• 6 months later...

Yup, going #2 can wipe me out, too. One thing that works for me is self massage. What I do is pretty standard stuff with a slight variation. When I'm feeling like my gut is in full on shutdown mode (*), I massage my abdomen in clockwise circles, starting with large circles and gradually going smaller. The variation I use is one often taught in Tantra massage. Rather than use my right hand, I use the inside portion of my right wrist up to mid forearm. Why is because it's more warming and better stimulating than the hand. 

(*) I've noticed a particularly rough BM is often preceded by a longer than usual period with no BM at all. 

• 10 months later...

Me too.  Go after breakfast and crash.  I take a medication that helps me concentrate to alleviate some of the brain fog.  The rest of my body is still fatigued and achy.  I go to work, poop again, and it starts all over except I have to put a happy face on it and pretend nothing's wrong.  The fatigue tapers off over several hours but is never completely gone.   Best to all dealing with this, and hoping for answers for all of us.

• 1 month later...

Recently, I’ve noticed some serious fatigue after a bm and long recovery times. I’ll have a bm and then have to IMMEDIATELY lay down. This is not new to me, but before I would just feel like the bm took a lot out of me and could still go on with activities. Recently though, I’ve had fatigue that has lasted several hours and on one occasion almost the entire day. My squatty potty along with my CKLS supplements by New Body have helped immensely with an easy flow and no strain, so I don’t think strain is the culprit. I’ve had a history of straining, constipation, and not having bowel movements, (as a child I thought people only had bowel movements once or twice a month.  Yikes, I know.), but honestly never felt fatigue after straining. As I write this, I’m in bed recovering from a second bm of the day which has me totally fatigued, but took less than three minutes to extricate. I was in and out of the bathroom effortlessly and yet feel wiped out and kind of short of breath. 

This is so me... I try to schedule it so that I'm able to lay down afterwards.  I often feel like I've just gone through an entire exercise session.  I do find that the squatty potty helps with how much 'effort' it takes, but I still find myself exhausted afterwards.  

• 5 months later...

No guys ..its not from straining ..i dont strain..i never have ..and i feel like ..ive just worked out ..its rediculous i hate it ..a couple of times ..like in the past 2 yrs weirded stuff hapoened my heart started beating so hard and fast and i broke out in a sweat a over and this is the weirdest thing my lips actually went numb ..lol..i know it sounds crazy but i swear i thought i was having a stroke or something my hands went numb one time too ..ive no clue wats wrong but it is scary as h*** i got to the bed as fast as i could and laid on my back ..but im always afraid thats going to happen again..

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all. A few months ago I decided to just try something to see if it helps reduce the after BM fatigue and it really has! I failed to do it today and ended up immediately extremely fatigued and it took about 2 hours to emerge from the exhaustion episode. What I discovered is if I wrap my arms and hands around my gut and squeeze in somewhat firmly, holding the gut and bowels in place during the BM, and then very slowly and gradually releasing over a minute or so afterwards it seems to drastically reduce and many times has totally prevented the fatigue episode.  I press in at the sides of my waist with my elbows and then wrap my forearms and hands around my gut just below my navel and firmly press inward and gently and slightly lift my gut and just hold it in and stabilize it there while defecating.  Then I very slowly and gradually release.  The gradual release is important because you don't want to suddenly drop the gut. I have experimented doing this technique and found what I have described as the best method. This can be done with or without a squatty potty. I hope anyone will try this and see if it makes any difference in the fatigue episode afterward and report your findings whether it worked for you or not. I have been doing this for the past few months and it's greatly reduced the after-fatigue.  I could kick myself for not using the technique today! That utter exhaustion after can be scary. 

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

For those who have this post bowel movement "syndrome" which has symptoms like:

1. Extreme weakness 5-10 minutes after finishing a regular BM, that can last from a few hours to many hours/whole day-till the next BM

2. Increase heart beat / Heavier breathing / Sleepiness

3. Diffuse pain all over bowels when pressed but not the usual stubbing pain of food poisoning for ex.

4. More intense symptoms after a larger ΒΜ and much less so with a more constipated/difficult/hard one (so the intensity of straining is not related to this)

5. Constipation (not going for a day) helps ease the response intensity the day after

6. Not the same intensity every day

I have experienced this syndrome most of my life. No medical diagnosis (many gastros have find it amusing), no helpful intervention, many failed drug experiments (antinflammatories, antispasmodics, IBS drugs, CBD etc).  What I have find to be the most useful is to immediately after a BM -and even before the symptoms kick in hard- lay down on your stomach/prone position (preferably with hands up below head) for 15-30, or till it stops feel unpleasant. This position increases discomfort but it helps ease the syndrome symptoms much faster and more efficiently, so one can go on with their day. Contrary, the supine position may increase the time that these symptoms last. Other things that may be helpful: sleeping, hot showers/hot pads

This multi symptom syndrome has been loosely linked to vagus nerve stimulation but nothing solid has been approved. However, it seems to act like a "cut" where the intensity of the symptoms climax few minutes after the event, and pressure helps it ease.

Hope that these observations might be helpful to someone.

• 11 months later...