Sharing Some Good News

MightyMouse

Hi all, I'm tired as could be, but I went for a job interview after work today for a teaching position with a university in philly--they offered me the job at the interview and I accepted. I may start as soon as May for Summer session I, teaching at night. It's extra work, but it's also some needed extra $ and I certainly need it to pay off my student loans...

Since I've finished my coursework at Temple Univ, I'm considered "all but dissertation" aka "abd" and I don't have to go to classes at Temple any longer; so I have the "time" (kind of... I still have the dissertation to write). :blink:

One other neat thing is that they said they want to establish a long term relationship with me--apparently they're building some new programs including one speciality in autism, and they will need staff to teach the coursework. :lol: Nice to have some job security.

Nina

Guest tearose

Yay! Way to go Nina! Professor Nina. Professor Mighty, Professor Mouse....I like Professor Nina..

:blink::lol::)

Next you'll start teaching on staff, then they will expand the program, they you can be the department director!

I think you should celebrate. Walt's king of crabs or Philly cheese steak?

I think I'll help you celebrate...cupcake for me!

congrats!

tearose

actually, I'd really love to go down to the Continental and have a "Buzz Aldrin" (a drink made with Tang as a mixer, and the glass is rimmed in Tang) and a linzer torte!

I think the original Walt's that used to be on Girrard is no more... :lol:

But there's plenty of cheesesteak to go around (sorry but if you've never been to a real philly cheesesteak shop, you have no idea what a gooey, greasy but delectible mess you're missing!)! Do you like yours "wid or "widdout" whiz? :blink: Wid for me please...

I like Jim's on South...

I'll hold off on the celebrating right now b/c it'll blow my diet that I've been doing to try to get ready for Spring Break in Mexico. :) I'll eat enough for all of us on the forum while I'm there...

Guest tearose

No Walts? But it was there in 82, and 92 oh my, where has the time gone???

Okay, what is the name of the cheese steak place all silver and on a corner in Queen Village?

...yeah, I want one wid cheeze! :blink:

OR, I'll take a burrito if we are doing mexican.

Well, on a more serious note, this is such a wonderful accomplishment Nina. To teach and help young minds grasp a field you have a passion in is a great thing! You may wait till mexico to have a skinny celebration but I am hoping you feel the inner heights of joy now!

best regards,

tearose

Thanks for all the kudos--I appreciate it! As for hours, it's really only about 2.5 hours of class a week, per course, and it's usually 4:30 to 7:00. During the Summer, it's 2x a week, but I'm not working my day job in the Summer b/c I'm off then (well, at least for most of that time, there's about a 2 week overlap).

Tea, I drove past Walts today--it's rubble. Not sure what's going in there now. Jim's is the one that's all in blue and silver. Wid for sure!!! And then, of course there's the Pat's and Geno's war on Passyunk... directly across from each other, pick your poison! Yum.

I am looking forward to teaching on my own, but I am a little nervous too! Nina

Nina,

Congratulations! I'm excited for you!

All of this Cheese-steak talk is really making me hungry!!

Take care and let us know how you like it.

Lisa

nina!!!!

this is really GREAT news!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! although i was worried as the night time confused me, but now that i've seen the hours it seems very reasonable. weel done nina, i really am very proud of you.

love corina :)

oh and btw tea, i prefer prof mighty as i think this is a MIGHTY achievement ;):P

hip hip hooray! i'm SO excited for you nina. your students will be lucky to have you...

:) melissa

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone ;) I'm already overwhelmed with all the paperwork and beuacracy of a university. My goodness--there are no fewer than 4 different offices I need to contact in the next few weeks with forms!!! Hopefully it'll be as fun as I'm imagining. Nina :lol: