Exercise And Pots

P SUDIK

In some of your posts I see alot of talk of exercise, what kind of exercise can you do? I can barely do what I need to do? Any suggestions?

hi i was just posting about exercise yesterday....i try to walk around the park near my house which is like half a mile....usually i feel alittle wierd mid way but i make it home ...yesterday was another story i my heart was extremly low afterward and my bp too i felt really really sick.....i just try to do little things and thats exercising to me

When I was very sick, the doctors who didn't think there was anything wrong with me to start with told me that if I would simply exercise, all my problems would go away. When I tried to take this stupid advice, I ended up prostrate. If you are too sick to do ordinary activities of daily living, you may be too sick to exercise. If you feel worse after exercising, you are probably too sick to exercise. If you feel really bad for days after trying to exercise, then you are definitely too sick to exercise, in my opinion.

Some doctors think that POTS is just the result of deconditioning, secondary to laziness and cowardice. That is a superstition. If POTS were due to deconditioning, it would be very common. It would be epidemic among office workers and would never occur in highly trained athletes. But POTS is rare and can occur in people who are in good condition.

Some people are exercise evangelists. They believe that this modern-day version of "mortification of the flesh" is unquestionably always good. That is about as reasonable as thinking that penicillin is always good. Some people can die from penicillin allergy, and penicillin is ineffective against viral infections. So a blanket recommendation that all sick people should get penicillin would be stupid. The same goes for exercise.

You may not have gotten a lot of answers to this post because exercise has been discussed a lot in the past. You may want to do a search. Most docs recommend that POTS patients stay as active as possible. At the beginning, this may mean walking just a couple of extra minutes a day, doing Yaz exercises or stretching exercises. You can start gently and slowly build up over time. You try a little, and if you feel sick after, you can just back off a little.

I agree with Rita. You can start with just some movements like leg lifts in bed. Yaz exercises are along those lines. The goal is to do the best you can with what energy and ability you have. I've always been encouraged to get *some* movement and upright posture into my routine. Obviously it does no good to run ourselves into the ground and then have a backlash of severe symtoms. Sometimes cardiac rehab programs can help you pace yourself and monitor your vitals. I found a program like that very helpful.

It feels like that sometimes, doesn't it? Heck, even sitting up to sort through the paperwork and mail that piles up sends my heart rate into the aerobic zone and beyond!

JaneEyre, thanks for mentioning the Yaz exercises. These are new to me, and I'm going to give them a try!

This in the link I found: http://www.21cent.net/chiari/yaz.htm. Are these right?