Looking For Suggestions

dawn

Hi,

I counted on 2007 being a better year than 2006. I thought how can it be worse?

Last week my brother was diagnosed with liver cancer. He has one tumor that is 7cm and several others. Because the tumor is so large he is not a candidate for a liver transplant.

He is such a nice guy.

Anyway, it has not spread that they know. He is being treated at the University of Chicago Hospital. His son wants to send him to Cancer Treatment Center's of America, it costs $250,000 for the down payment.

Looking for any suggestions for treatment. They did mention chemo-ablation. He has cirrhosis also so they cannot do a resection. He is 64 years old going on 40.

Dawn

Dawn, Michigan Jan's husband had liver cancer-- but his had spread elsewhere already when they caught it, I think. Anyway, they make a microsphere of some kind that can block off the flow of blood to the tumors and cause the tumors to die off. You might want to look up some of her posts because she describes treatments. Also, under some of my old posts under the chit chat section about my step dad's battle with melanoma that spread to his liver--she wrote me with helpful info.

I wish your brother the best.

Nina

Thank you all.

Nina, thank you. I found Jan's posts and will look up the radiation treatment you wrote about. I just want him to make the right decision. They don't seem to be moving on it fast enough for me. He had an ultrasound in October and they saw "something" it has taken them this long for a diagnosis. Ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!! I am not ready to lose miy brother.

Dawn

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dawn,

Go to Sirtex.com to read about the Sir Spheres treatment Jeff had. Jeff did die of his cancer and it was his liver that killed him. However, he did not have just liver cancer alone. He had Sir Spheres twice, once to the right side and once to the left side of his liver. It did reduce the tumors and slow it down for a time, but the cancer elsewhere was out of control so kept spreading, and came back in the liver with a vengence.

Anything you can do to get it out of the liver or slow it down is desirable. And waiting around too long is not a good idea, There are only certain places that do the Sir Spheres treatment and you can find them on the Sirtex site. There are also other treatment options for liver cancer besides the spheres and transplant. If he has limited amount of tumors, cryotherapy (freezing) or heat ablation are also options to kill tumors. Jeff had cryotherapy as had my daughter-in-law to kill tumors. Jeff''s cryotherapy was not to his liver, it was to a mass of cancerous lymph nodes.

Both heat and freezing kill cells and are being used to kill tumors. You will need to feel confidence in his doctor to make the right choice of treatment(s). The choice of treatment can depend on the amount and location of the liver tumors. The spheres will go to to blood supply of the tumors and block the blood supply as well as radiate the area where they lodge. The spheres are not considered a cure, but they can slow down the progression.

I wish you and your brother the best.

Michigan Jan

Thank you Jan. I searched the internet about a month ago and found that Northwestern in Chicago did the treatment you speak of.

I scheduled him appointments and he had the spheres put into the tumor in the right lobe 2 weeks ago. He also has a tumor in the left lobe. I went to Chicago for a week and got home Friday. He had every test needed and will go on the transplant list tomorrow.

Heart is excellent, bone scan clear, lung CT clear with the exception of one enlarged lymph node by his esophagus. They said it is not in a spot to biopsy but everyone is feeling it is not malignant. (I pray they are right). He qualifies for a cadavar liver, if he needs a liver sooner my husband will do a live donor transplant. He is still feeling well, blood work is off a bit, platelets are falling, billirubin is up as well as his AFP. He did really well with the transpheres, no side effects what so ever.

It was a long week in Chicago and I'm trying to catch up. I'm going to need alot of strength when he has the transplant. I would highly recommend Northwestern in Chicago to anyone. It is wonderful hospital and clinic. Everyone is competent.

Thanks again,

Dawn