Social Security Denial

Hello everyone!

Well, I received my denial from SS today. I applied in August and just heard today. Of course they said that they think I am able to work (and of course i'm not and haven't been able to for over 3 years).

Next step, I have to appeal within 60 days.

Just wanted to share the news. I'm pretty disappointed but I'm ok with it - especially since this is my first time applying.

Lisa

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the denial. but I hear that can be very common the first attempt, especially invisible illnesses.

Hope you get a good attorney and frequent the disinissues site...I joined there while going thru my last review (had 3 in 15 years) and they were MOST HELPFUL.

I got the short form first..months later the long form. THEN a month after THAT was sent in some LIVING questionnaire and I forget the other one, Daily Activities. These things were SO DEPRESSING and asked details of how my life has been altered since being ill. I mention this because the website helped me every step of the way and the mistakes I made on the short form that led to the next steps. *sigh*

That website was PRICELESS in not only what to say but what NOT TO SAY. It's all in the WORDING...they were simply amazing.

One of the head mods can be very snippy and kinda hateful but she KNOWS SO MUCH and was very helpful to me...just how she is...don't take it personally.

I can't recommend that site enough though I have no affiliation with them. I eventually stopped getting the emails a few months after geting the review finished though I learned a lot reading about all the different hoops people go through. It's very enlightening place. And "the system' makes it TOUGH for everybody.

I wish you luck and remember, as you go through the hassles and there will be many, it's HOW THE SYSTEM is set up. It's NOT YOU. If you can remember that and read the private emails on the aforementioned group, you will get through whatever steps it takes to get your disability.

Hang in there and keep us posted.

Hi there,

I also was denied SSDI. I have put in for an appeal, which is most likely going to be denied. I go to see a lawyer tomorrow. Although I know I am going to have to try working, because I can't afford it anymore. At my previous job I was taken out by ambulance many times, so who knows what's going to happen.... I wish you the best of luck. Hang in there!

Jacquie

I have also recently been denied and will need to appeal. I had no desire to apply for this, as I never thought I would be out of work for a year. My long term insurance company through my employer is covering me currently, but requires that you apply for SSD and appeal denials. I can understand this, just don't know that I have the strength to get through it all. I would often help clients complete these forms as part of my occupation and never thought I would be doing the same at this point in my life.

Wondering if most people have consulted attorneys or represented themselves? My physician is encouraging the appeal and feels I should have been approved. Has the experience been positive for people if your physician supported application? I have seen some clients passed with no questions and some who were waiting and appealing forever with very serious illness.

I am thankful that I have some current income, although very overwhelmed at the thought of not returning to work and going through not only the physical battle with my body, but the stress of appeal with SS. Not sure I could deal with attorney meetings to have representation.

They state that friends and family can testify or assist with appeal-has it been helpful for anyone to have family at these appeals to validate the impact of daily life for not only the individual but entire family?

I am just wondering how much family testimony would be considered, althought they are the ones that know exactly what we live through every day.

Good luck Lisa- I will be thinking of you as I also go through all this and try to get through the process

According to HUNDREDS of emails I read on the private egroup I signed up for, having an ATTORNEY (who has YOUR best interest at heart, of course) is vital.

If you can do all the headache paperwork and go BY YOURSELF to the courtoom and be able to answer the questions, many will not think you are disabled. They feel if you can "do all this paperwork, organize and go to court" you are not disabled. Which IS a valid point. Especially if brain fog i.e. Cognitive impairment is one of your symptoms!!

Things are really getting strict and DETAILED DOCUMENTATION is always vital, as well as a doctor who is advocating for you.

Hello!

Thanks so much for your advice! It's so great knowing that i'm not alone!!

Thanks so much for the advice about joining the yahoo group concerning these issues...I went ahead and joined. How did you set up your settings? Is it best to receive every email or to make modifications to this.

I have hired a lawyer - she even helped me this first time. It will be great having her with this appeal.

Concerning the comment about someone not having the energy for lawyer --- I've actully never even met my lawyer....everything has been done over the phone and through mail. I pressume we'll eventually meet but I wanted to encourage you that having a lawyer makes things SO much easier!!

THanks for all of your advice and encouragement! :blink:

Lisa

lisa,

although i'm not in your country, i needed a lawyer as well to help me get ssdi. i was so stressed about the whole ssdi thing that i didn't know what to do and what to say about my case anymore. so the lawyer was of great help as he did the work for me. i just gave him the information he needed and he was in contact with the social security people. he did a great job as i finally got approved.

hope you will get approved as well,

corina :blink:

Lisa,

I am sorry to hear about your letter. I am to hear on my case by the end of the month. Question for you, Did you see a doctor for one of there appoitments? ( Can you tell I am worried) I just want to know, I think the waiting seems to be the worst part of it. Just all the time it takes.

Again sorry to hear. I hope it goes thought the next time!

Amy

I'm sorry to hear that you were denied this time. I really think the system is horrible. I can't believe that people like us who sometimes can barely make it out of the bed, can be denied and told we should be going to work.

I'm planning to apply also. I've been trying to stick it out and go to work...but things aren't looking good with my treatments and I can't go on like this anymore. I'm very nervous to take this step, but I'm come to realize it has to be this way now.

I haven't decided about the laywer situation yet. I have heard from many people that they were still stuck doing all the paperwork themselves even with the lawyer. It must all depend on where you find your laywer. I can have my husband help me with the paperwork, so that's a bonus.

Well, I'm sorry again that you were turned down the first time. It seems to be the case with most people, very sadly. I'm pretty sure the same thing will happen to me, but I will still be devistated if/when it does.

You guys are great! Thanks for all of your encouraging words. It's so great knowing I'm not alone in this!

Amy, I didn't end up having to see a SS physician. I have no idea how they decide which people should see them and which shouldn't. I wish I could help answer your question better. Do you have an appointment with one of there dr's or are you just dreading the fact that you may have to go in??

Thanks again everyone!

Lisa

Guest Julia59

Lisa,

I'm sorry to hear you were denied. I know it's usually common to get denied on the first try, and usually the reconsideration fase as well. Then this is when you request the hearing though the appeal process.

Sophia has given valuable information----Sophia---thanks so much for all the help you have given me- :blink:

I have the links she sent me saved in my favorites in my computer.

I did see an appointed SSDI Doctor---and he lied and slandered me thoughout the whole report.

He made me look like a malingerer. I wrote a letter of complaint. The disinissues web site gave me the correct address to mail the complaint letter---and I did get a response. They said they were sorry I wasn't satisfied with the physical exam--and said they would look into it. Well I sent them another letter telling them that saying I was not "satisfied" is a gross understatement.

Hang in there............

Julie :0)

I'm sorry, Lisa. Sadly, everyone seems to expect that first-time denial b/c that's what usually happens. I would definitely try again, and keep trying till you get it.

Amy

Lalisa

I got the emails all in one batch once a day. That was the easiest for me to read.

Also, check their files and links section. Some of the info is convoluted (but so IS THIS crazy SS system! :blink::huh: )

YOu may also find that others have similar questions.

Make sure to read the files/ links section that talks about HOW to fill out paperwork (do it a little bit at a time on the computer, 15 minutes at a time, and make sure to NOTE that when you send in the paperwork)

Good luck and yes, it is stressful but you can over come it.

Remember, they WANT folks to get frustrated and drop the appeals. So it ain't for SISSIES! LOL.

Good luck and email me if you have questions.

Lisa,

I resaon I asked is I had an appointmen on May 5th with there doctor and it went well, like too well, so I am worried that things are going to go bad. I was told after I had the appointment with the doctor I should have an answer in 25-30 days. So I am getting worried and uptight, I need it to go though, but planning for it not too, if that makes any since!

Amy

Guest tearose

Hang in there. Just do your best. I wish I could tell you a good story but I don't have any. Just get your files in order and keep trying.

Hi. I got really frustrated with the process here in the UK. They kept saying my case was being considered but it went on for months, so I rang up and said "you know what? send a dr out to look at me- at my house. tell them to come and see me try climb the stairs or walk down the garden path. And feel my pulse and take my blood pressure. Then they'll see!" IT took 6 months, but the Dr came and straight away was full of apologies that it had taken so long to get things moving, and said he could see how horrific it was.

I was never turned down- I think they just thought I'd get sick waiting. But once I saw a dr, I got awarded DLA (Disabled Living Allowance- the UK version of SSDI). I think it was almost as if they gave it to me cos they could see I was still trying to do stuff- I think it's almost as if they don't believe an invisible illness can stop you from functioning. I know it sounds brutal- especially as there are times when I can't function at all- the last few days have been horrific for me- but I think a lot of it boils down to first impressions on the part of the Dr.

It's so frustrating- there is no right or wrong answer.

You'll have to bear with me as I try to remember what it was I was trying to reply to......... Gosh, this brain fog is running on all cylinders tonight.

Lalalisa,

I'm so sorry to hear about your having been denied. You must have been anxiously awaiting a response, and then have the bomb drop on you like that. What a mess!

Your strength in sharing your experience is helping a lot of us who are facing the ordeal ourselves. I just received a letter from my long term disability company stating that my claim is "pending" until they receive a copy of my application for SSI benefits. Needless to say, I'm going to have to get on that entire process later this week. The thought just sends my stomache into knots. It would be one thing if I felt personally competant to complete the paperwork correctly............... and then to wait for them to deny me........ and then go through appeal after appeal, etc. Isn't getting up in the morning enough?????

Well, again I'm sorry for your not getting better news. I'm glad that I read your post, in which the other suffers were able to shed some light on the whole process and additional resources out there and available to us. Keep your chin up!

My sincere apologies if my response isn't as coherent as I intended, as I wanted to let you know that I understand where you're coming from as I head there myself real soon!

Take care........ Hugs to you!

Lisa

i just wanted to add my sorry about your denial for ssdi-- and I hope that your lawyer can help you in the appeals process to get benefits that are rightfully your!!

hang in there dear

hugs

dizz

Hello IaIaIisa..............

Its just as bad in the UK, I had to fight to get recognised for 64 Weeks solid. :(

At first they said NO.....there isn't such a thing :)

Then they gave me just the lowest rate for care and mobility.

My 'angel G.P' who stands by me for everything, wrote to them and complained about there behavior towards myself and there lack of understanding over this condition.

Next I heard I'd got the next level up 'middle rate' but..............no back payouts ( it was up to a year by then)

Then I appealed again and asked for a consultant from them to come to my house and **** me .

The consultant turned up on one of my 'is she alive or dead days' poor man, he took one look at me , grey, sweating, freezing cold, low pulse rate , and all the other nastiest and wanted to call an ambulance!

Hubby told him not to panic when he couldnt find my pulse and had to show him were to find it :D

So....... out come of this was I was awarded full care and mobility BACK DATED 64 Weeks ............. the consultant was appalled that I hadent been awarded it straight away, and went back to the DHSS office to make sure that my condition and others who have the same will now be taken seriously.

So you keep going ,fight on girl you will get there in the end. Willows :P