Finished the 5K-and I wasn't Last!!!

MightyMouse

Hello friends. It was cold here in NJ this am... 26 f (or -3.3 c). The race started at a few minutes after 9am, and I finished 41 minutes a a few seconds later, with Teri right behind me (how gracious because I know T had way more fight left than I did).

We ran for about half the 5k, on and off. My heart rate would soar a bit too high (above 180 and I'd walk). However, I experienced some slowing of my heart rate too, while running. Somewhere near the 2 or 2.5 mile mark, my hr dropped into the 50's and I felt really strange--I couldn't feel my lower body at all for a few minutes. It was great to have Teri there because at that point I started crying and thought I wasn't going to finish... but we walked for a bit and my body calmed down...and Teri talked me through the whole thing.

We got home around 10:30 and I took a quick bath and went to sleep. I slept for 4.5 hours and then had some lunch. I'm so unbelievably sore everywhere. The loudest bits are my right knee, which is hot and swollen, and my right ankle. Both are swollen and hot. I am running a bit of a temperature myself--not sure what that's about, maybe just my body saying "what the heck are you doing, you nutcase!"? I can't tolerate sitting up without feeling sick to my stomach and dizzy, so, I'm lying down and writing to you on my laptop.

I really just wanted to check in and let you know I finished :) I read a saying today at the race which seemed to fit:

the miracle isn't finishing...it's finding the courage to start. I hope you find your start, for whatever that may be that makes you happy. B)

thanks, and love to those of you who have supported my effort to better my own health and spread some awareness in the process.

Back to laying low--I'm thinking I'm going to need a few days for recovery.

Nina

WAHOO!!! GO NINA!! DId you hear all of us cheering you on this morning???

I'm so proud of you Nina....your an inspiration to us all...

take the time that you need to recoop.. and know that we all love ya !! :)

Hugs

Linda

OH man, thanks guys. I heard your cheers during the race as I looked at my DINET bracelet more than once B)

Dan, I miss ya (and I have something I got for your for last christmas that I still need to send you!!! :) ).

Me and my ice pack are getting reaquainted and I've been catching up on email. I guess this is how I can learn to stay still, after all. I know I've told all of you how hard it is for me to lay low--all those catecholamines typically keep me a bit hyperactive, but NOT today.

I feel very overly emotional tonight--likely the combo of exhaustion and elation at getting to this day and actually doing what I set out to do. Now for the hard part: keeping it going the rest of the year. Ahhh..

Meanwhile, I think I've convinced Teri that despite the chilling temps outside, we should take a quick trip over to the local icecream shop and get some take out to celebrate our day. :) Nina mmmm chocolate chip mint with sprinkles, I hear you calling me....

Nina

Hey Nina,

wow I am so proud of you (AND Teri) I AM CHEERING ALL THE WAY FROM THE NETHERLANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now you take it easy and relax (your body might be right you know :) )

love Corina

Congrats Nina!!! It's great that you finished the whole race...your an inspiration to all of us here on the board and I believe if you put your whole heart into something anything is possible!!

Oh, and enjoy your ice cream!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan, I miss ya (and I have something I got for your for last christmas that I still need to send you!!! :o ).

Nina

Bring it on! :D

Lemme know if ya need my email address. Been having a rough time. I miss you too, kiddo. Give my best to Teri.

Still love our photo with Janet from the 2002 conference in DC.

Dan

I know this will sound pathetic, but Teri and I were too sore to make our way to the icecream shop... so no chocolate chip minty treats for me yet...but there's always tomorrow, yes?

Today I've gotten a serious hint at what my body might feel like when I'm a bit older. Getting out of bed was quite a job--and also getting up any time I sit for more than a few seconds. My joints and muscles are stiff as concrete!

thanks for being with me on this journey :) Nina

Oh, Dan... you know what, I love all the pictures I have from that day. There's a shot of me and Linda that Janet Bray took & makes me smile every time I see it, even if it was taken on the day I found out that my spinal bone graft was broken. Never a good sign when your neurosurgeon calls you on your cell phone to ask if you have your neck brace on! :o What doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger, yes? (janet's site seems to be down so I can't hyper link to it :D)

yippee :) i'm super late on chiming in with the cheers & congrats, but i was so excited when your post popped up to tell of your victory on saturday.

and honestly i'm not surprised at all that the ice cream trip didn't happen...i would have been more surprised if it had. glad that you've since been able to get it though (i think i read that in another post...or am just hallucinating...)

and i think you're finished with all your papers now too?? or close to it. so congrats on that too.

again, many congrats. hope your body is back to "normal" (i know, a very relative term) soon.

:lol: melissa

i still get a kick out of thinking about how many i was "with" at the NDRF conference without knowing it then. although i knew who you were then from your neck brace (i used to read the NDRF forum pretty regularly....i promise i wasn't stalking you :rolleyes: )