What do you do in your Spare Time?

baby_boy

For most of us the spare time is all day, lol. Just wondering what everyone does.

I dont work so in my time i design graphics and websites. Im self taught and ive purchased alot of books to teach myself these sort of things. If it wasnt for the PC id be paranoid all day thinking about all the what ifs, so this keeps me occupied.

Throughout my years of self teaching ive learnt alot and gotten some work from it all. I currently design graphics for Urban Music artists and DJs who arnt in the mainstream and make about 40 Pounds per week extra money from it.

I also design websites and am currently trying to get a job working for a web company, or an apprentaship position.

Im also a bit naughty sometimes and download some DVDs, but thats to keep my head at bay when im board. I feel the computer is my lofe at the moment, without it id be stuck.

I look forward to hearing what you people do :)

I find cooking is great. I have set my kitchen up with everything to hand and I have a stool to sit on. I make sure everyday there is a nice meal ready for when my husband gets home and find it really helps me having something that I can do to contribute to the home as I obviously can't go out and work to bring in the money. I also do a lot of baking- I don't think I have bought anyone a birthday/wedding/anniversary/congratulations or any other sort of present in a year or more! Everyone gets cakes!!!! (also good when your a bit short of money due to benefits!)

Similar to yourself I try to keep myself busy online and help my friend to market her art business. I have my pets to 'run' around after (dog and cat) and my nan has taught me to knit (sounds abit strange for a 20 year old but it is a great seated hobby). I am currently knitting a scalf!!!

Another thing that I find really rewarding is helping out with online charities to build awareness of our conditions and others similar. Being in the UK there is very little to inform people of dysautonomia and I have been working with other support groups to add in info about POTS and NCS.

Good luck, I really hope you find something that works for you soon!

Katie

Lol katie, you sound just like me. Your married at 20? Im 21 my girlfriend is 18 and i live with me parents and girlfriend. My girlfriend may be pregnant and i think she expects me to work but unless i can work from home im really going to find it hard as i cant leave the house on my own due to SEVERE anxiety, and when symptoms hit at work i'd have to go home, which would be most days.

It really upsets me, but on the other hand if i discuss it with my Girlfriend i could be the one that stays at home and does housework ect.

Im not sure were life will take me but i hope its good.

Has your friend got a website for her Artwork? PM Me.

Most of the forum particpants have very active and full lives. Many work full or part-time, most have families, and fortunately, only a portion of us are home full-time permanently. I am a wife and mother of two young children and an active volunteer. So, I have to disagree with the statement that most of us have nothing but spare time. Not trying to sound defensive, but most people with this illness have productive lives in some form or fashion. As stated by yourself and others, the internet is a blessing. For those of us who are at home more, it gives us some contact with the outside world. Over the summer, someone started a thread about hobbies which was really interesting. Even those "stuck in bed" have found ways to have enjoyment as you can see by the amount of folks who write, do crafts, art, etc. So, there are many ways to fill our days.

Carmen

I have no spare time :D

I'm working full time, I'm finishing my doctoral program at night, I'm making handbeaded bracelets for sale at a Croatian store and online, I'm moderating here, and I'm running the DINET bracelet public awareness project. When I'm not doing those things, I'm at physical therapy, doctor's appointments, eating, bathing and sleeping.

Nina

I faintly remember having a full life. I'm glad that those of you that can do a zillion things, can. For those of us, where this is a distant memory, this is an important thread. If I could do all the things some of you do, I wouldn't be on this site very much, I'd be out enjoying life to it's fullest.

I crochet chemo hats now. I have made several, but my grand daughter thinks they are beautiful because they are wild, so she has several. I read large print books for short periods. Go to Dr's appts. Look out the window, lie down a lot, and do what I can, when I can. morgan

HI

I am like morgan where being busy is only a distant memory. My GREAT DAYS are leaving the house to run errands for an hour or going someplace for two hours.

If I go out for a brief dinner, closeby,we get a booth and I sit SIDEWAYS with feet elevated until dinner arrives but can only do this when I feel decent upright. I don't do the high seats or small wooden chairs. Only go to smoke free places and rarely do that.

I spend time watching birds, listening to talk radio during day and watching selective tv at night (no horror stuff, or gruesome news or INTENSE tv!!) cooking simple meals a few times a month sitting on bar stool in kitchen. Make myself take brief walks on the better days.

A few times a year I pontificate on this laptop and send letters to newspapers in outrage of what is happening to my city!! Lots of leadership problems and BUTCHERING OF long standing glorious hillsides for subdivisions. Looks like strip mining. It's amazing how one voice can get many voices stirred up and those with energy can attend city council meetings (those ain't for the faint of hearted or tired!!) Some things letter writing resolves while other editorial letters turn into the long goodbye of once loved trees, parks and green space! Sorry, it just pains me to see OLD TREES cut down and green space violated. But hey, writiing letters and seeing them in print gets it out of me and I let it 'go into the universe'.

Or I do some digital photography and email lots of pics to people with look-a-like cats!!! LOL. Cut and paste and share funny email jokes when I get them!

I am glad for those who can be on the go constantly. We all have different levels of illness.

Some of us have been in the slow lane for so long, that I can't imagine the freedom to be able to PLAN TO LEAVE the house whenever I want...*sighs wistfully* but you do adapt. OR else. . .

Peace

22.gif

Hi ! Chase Baby, Chase dog, Shampoo carpet ( sometimes I have to sit down to do this),cook, clean, READ books, Research on meds and treatments for this bummer illness, Dr's appts, pay bills,walk .5 miles an good days, bathe, play in tub with baby, shower with dog, and phone my husband who is in Georgia at a military school. Thank God he will be home in14 days (he's been gone for 2 months and 2 weeks. THen nap and eat and start all over the next day. My hobbies are reading and teaching my almost 2 year old how to dance and sing as loud as she wants.

Hey Katie, i knit too, got a really ace scarf that i made last year, it's over six foot long! now that my case is over i'm going back to college to do my NVQ in I.T. and generally try to get more active. in the house i love cooking hate cleaning and will watch paint dry if it means i don't have to move sometimes!

Baby boy, i'm doing my course at a training centre for older unemployed people, have you thought about trying something like that? i know when i used to suffer from anxiety the more i stayed in the worse it got. phone your local job centre then you can get the qualification (possibly even online through learn direct?)and work from home on web design. need any help with who to call etc PM me ok?

Becks x x x

Hi,

I spend all my time finding a doctor who will find why I have muscle paralysis. Then I have to rest, rest, rest. I have one night a week where I visit my friends. I used to be hyperactive and work 60-80 hours per week. It's been 5 years now that I am a professional couch potato.

Ernie-you are too funny..

well baby boy.. I am housebound for the most part now days...(I hope that when my wheelchair comes in that that will change!! :lol: )

On these few rare clear moments I like.. no LOVE to read.. I sew make quilts.. crochet.. and embroider..

I like to cook.. but have a hard time doing that most times either b/c of the whole standing thing.. or the heat in the kitchen is too much for me to handle..

(there is a saying here in the USA.. that my great-aunt used to say... "if you cant "stand" the heat in the kitchen then get out.." funny how literally I take that now.. HAHAHAHA

I too when i was able to work.. worked 70-80 a week.. and wnet to college full time.. that was in 2001-2002

Right now most of my time is spent at Drs. offices. The rest of the time I am usually at my daughters house. Since the stroke my Dr doesn't want me alone until they can start me on medication again. I also like spending time with my grandsons, the oldest one wants to learn how to cook and he is doing a great job. I havent figured out what all I can do right now. But I am trying different things. I have noticed that my strength doesnt last very long so I try to do things that are sitting down. Right now I am making Christmas Stockings for the whole family. It is going slow because of my eyesight. Any ideas, on what to do with a day when you do not have the strength to get out of bed? I welcome your input. Thanks Vanessa

For most of us the spare time is all day, lol. Just wondering what everyone does.

I dont work so in my time i design graphics and websites. Im self taught and ive purchased alot of books to teach myself these sort of things. If it wasnt for the PC id be paranoid all day thinking about all the what ifs, so this keeps me occupied.

Throughout my years of self teaching ive learnt alot and gotten some work from it all. I currently design graphics for Urban Music artists and DJs who arnt in the mainstream and make about 40 Pounds per week extra money from it.

I also design websites and am currently trying to get a job working for a web company, or an apprentaship position.

Im also a bit naughty sometimes and download some DVDs, but thats to keep my head at bay when im board. I feel the computer is my lofe at the moment, without it id be stuck.

I look forward to hearing what you people do :)

Not much spare or down time here. Work p/t , sometimes a full time day here and there. Drop off kids, pick up kids, who has football practice 3x a weeks, soccer practice,(each does that 1 practice a weeks and games for all sports on the weekend, playdates,.etc. No wonder one is always wired but tired! I like to cook(sometimes), took up a yoga class one night a week with some girlfriends and try to exercise when at the kids practice by walking if I can otherwise I sit and vegetate.I can't wait for sports to end for the fall/winter and I can get some down time. Sometimes I think all the running around is good and bad. It keeps me going and I don't have much time to dwell on how I am feeling but then too much makes me feel worse. :)

I have very little spare time. I go to achool online full time and with household chores and errands, and appts, My day seems to fly by.....

I make sure to get some down time by watching TV and just zoning out for a while, or reading a book or magazine......it helps me unwind at night.

In my 'REAL life' I don't have spare time... school full-time, work full-time, sleeping the rest of the time with outings to the mountains as often as I can manage it physically (student in Boulder, Colorado).

Now I have some playtime because the only thing I have to do right now is school- 3 classes. They're each more work than SOME classes in the States, but it's also less to juggle. I'm not allowed to work, and I'm thrilled! When I'm not studying or freaking out about how behind I am in Italian since they bumped me up an extra level, I listen to music incessantly, love reading (19th centure British literature, specifically), hanging out with my crazy young English friends, sleeping when the dorm hall isn't too noisy (too little unfortunately), cooking yummy food (as simple as possible, though!), and miss snowboarding. I like shopping when I have a bit of money to spare, which isn't often, I e-mail with my parents, daydream, and want to try to figure out my next direction (after college/university).

Anyway- I guess if I'm not doing something I feel like I'm not accomplishing anything, and that really bothers me, so I'm usually pretty busy doing whatever.

Guest CyberPixie

I am a very avid reader and read tons and tons of books and mags. In the past I've written books. I'm very into computers and gadgets, love photography and editing pics. Love to edit home movies too.

Very into relationship psychology and sexual therapy and want to do a degree some day.

At the moment I'm into crafts and have been making and selling crystal bookmarks, the ones that go over the spine of the book and dangle outside. Very rare to find them, especially in UK. Have been selling them on ebay!

Also into spiritual/psychic matters.