Finally Diagnosed

r_innes

I am a 28 yo female who has been sick for 8 years.

I started out noticing that I'd sweat more with only slight exertion. A few months later, I got pregnant and that is when the real fun started. Since then, I have been unable to shower without sweating...and I am a clean freak, that kills me. I was diagnosed with idiopathic tachycardia, anxiety, and even tried on hormone therapy.

Finally, I made it to the Rochester Mayo Clinic. Had a sweat test, and a TTT. The TTT showed that my body overcomps for the drop in blood pressure by upping my heart rate. It works...I have never fainted, etc. But it comes at the cost of regulating my body temp; I am like a house with the thermostat set too high. It gets a little warm, I sweat. I get a little exerted, I sweat. And sometimes, I just sweat.

Am I alone?

r_innes

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum, and no, you're not alone. I personally have the opposite problem you have with regards to sweat: I don't.

Up until recently, I lived in Hawaii, and almost never sweat. This caused problems with my body temperature. I will sweat if it gets hot enough, but usually only after being exposed to intense heat for a long time. It's all part of the dysautonomia grab-bag.

I hope you find some answers here, and some comfort.

Cheers,

Lauren :lol:

hello & welcome-

i'm sorry that you have reason to be here but glad you found us. i'm 25 & have had notable issues health-wise since i was about 17 so we're in a similar place age wise. the forum has a lot of info that will hopefully understand what is going on (as best as possible!) and you are definitely not alone. most of us have issues with heart rate & temperature regulation, although it varies some in terms of which direction (too much or not enough sweating, too cold or too hot, high or low HR, etc.) while there is no quick fix, the fact that you have a diagnosis is definitely a step in the right direction...as you have found out, it can be a pretty long & winding road to get to that point. and you're definitely not the only one for whom that is the case.

hang in there,

:lol: melissa

My husband radiates heat at all times and has periods of drenching sweats with some types of exertion but also while at rest too, especially at bedtime. If he is doing chores, taking out garbage, cleaning the house then he will be sweating but if he is walking 18 holes of golf our just fooling around he is OK. When he lays down in the evening he feels like he is burning up but his temperature is always about 2 degrees less than normal. Many on the site have lower than normal body temperatures and issues with heat and sweating.

Just wanted to welcome you! And as you can see you're not alone in this. I'm 26, will be turning 27 in about a week, and been having problems for over 2yrs, not quite as long as you have but i can understand how frustrating it can feel sometimes.

Hi welcome!!

sorry that you arent feeling well.. but glad that you found us...:)

I have been diagnosed w/ POTS since I was 20 am now 23.. But have had some form of pots since well..birth! EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW!!

Over the past year I have begun sweating even when it is not hot, warm whatever. It could be 40 and I sweat. It was really becoming embarassing. That started last Nov and maybe up until a month ago it was daily. Lately it has calmed down but something else took its place :)

Welcome, glad you have received some answers and hope you begin to feel better soon. :blink:

Welcome, I am glad you found us, sorry you are not feeling well. I have learned alot form this web site about POTS, and made many friends, plus it is nice to know I am not alone.

Glad you are here! :)

Nope, you're definitely not alone. You've got tons of me-toos here, and I'm one of them. I used to think I had a sweating problem and considered getting treated for it...until we realized it was my heart rate kicking up like crazy to make up for the loss in bp.

Nina

Welcome!

I'm on the other end of the spectrum -- always cold, rarely sweat (the sweat test had me sweating though! :angry: ). Every once in a while I'll wake up at night sweating as if there's no tomorrow, but that's highly unusual.

The fact that I do not usually sweat seems a little peculiar to me because before I got sick I was always the first to start sweating in a ballet class and ended up with a drenched leotard! Talk about a turn-around! :) Guess the old ANS overworked earlier in its life and is all tuckered out now! :angry:

Angela

Hi r innes,

welcome to the forum. I'm glad you found us! I hope you'll get the answers you need!

Steph: I'm like you with the sweating. I only sweat when I'm cold (and during the night so badly that I get wet all over my body, arms and legs and so very cold when I wake up!!!). But you know: I thought that sweating when feeling cold was NORMAL! I only found out some months ago. Call me naive :):angry:

When we were in the South of France this year I started to sweat at 35C (don't know how much that is in F, sorry) and during the nights I staid dry. DO I LOVE FRANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry::angry:

Well, have a nice weekend all!!!

Corina :(

Welcome. Just wanted to say I also developed POTS related to pregnancy. I started having symptoms just a few days after delivery. I don't have the sweating issue, but I do have ridiculous weight loss as a result of my heart beating so fast -- my metabolism is very messed up. The illness affects us all differently.

Amy