New To The Forum

Bella127

Well, I guess this is my formal intro ... so, Hi everyone! :D My name is Chrissy, I'm 19 years old and in college. I was diagnosed with POTS in 2001. My mom (PattiL) is always on the forum, but I thought it was about time I made a name for myself! ( As she put it - instead of "lurking behind" hers :) )

Glad I finally officially joined!

*ChRiSsY*

Dobro nam do?li! (doh-bro nahm doh-shhh-lee) which means Welcome! in Croatian (um, it's late and I've been praciticing online, can you tell??? :)

nina

Chrissy

Welcome, my daughter Rachel is 17 with pots. I understand that you are going to John Carroll - near where we live. As you start your residential college experience, I would love to pick your brain on want helps you. Rachel has been homebound for HS (she's a senior) but really wants to go to a residential college. Actually - anything that gets her away of these 4 walls and me. Rachel also got sick in 2001 - in fact some of your moms posts have helped us alot (initially on the pedicatic network)

Have you talked to BVR (bureau of vocational rehabilitation). You would probably qualify (Rachel has for post secondary services) and they can help with "services to help get a job"; that includes college.

Louise

hi chrissy

welcome!!!!!!!! i am also new to the forum.and i also have a daughter with dysautonomia, 16.do you AND your mom have dysautonomia?i havent been on the forum long , but i am intersested in how many other mother ,daughter suffers there are.

sallyann

chrissy-

welcome! it's great to "see" you here. i'm 25 & just moved to cleveland so your mom & i have talked about us maybe trying to get together. glad you decided to join up yourself!

:-)melissa

Guest Julia59

Welcome to the forum Chrissy! :) this is a great place to get support, and to access loads of information to learn as well.

Louise/Chrissy,

My Uncle Jim---(Father Jim-(Mohler)) used to teach at John Carroll University for several years. It was an all Male university at one time. He taught there in the 70s, 80s and 90s I think. Sadly he passed away of non-hodgekins lymphoma in 1997.

He was very humble---and was a teacher even out of the university setting.

He taught us a lot.............

Good luck to you Chrissy in your future at John Carroll. I wish you all the best with the management of your POTS symptoms. :D

Julie :0)

Chrissy!

Welcome! I am soooo glad that you are joining too! I already feel like I 'know' you through your mom's posts and I always tell her to say 'howdy' to you. Well, now, I can say 'howdy' directly to YOU!

I wish you all the best on your college adventures and I can't wait to get to know you more, as I have been following your story since my days on NDRF...

Emily

Thanks everyone for all the welcome's! :D

cnm1 -

I was home my whole sophomore year of HS, and then took classes through the community college in my jr. and sr. years. It was a big change, but a great one! I remember being so apprehensive about going to classes once I had been home for sooo long - but it ended up being the most fun years I've ever had! (so far! :) ) And definitely one of the best things I've ever done. So I'm really excited about starting at John Carroll! At first it didn't even cross my mind to stay in the dorms, until I saw my brother moving into Kent and I thought "Hey, there's no way I'm missing out on this!" :lol:

I love my mom (and dad, and brothers!) to DEATH .. so the 'getting away' is more so I can become a little more independent and learn how to help myself even more. I think it's going to help a lot with that isolation that you sometimes feel when you have your really "bad" days - just knowing you are surrounded with people your age.

I will definitely keep up on my writing here and let you know what does/doesn't work for me while being away - anything I can do to help! :) John Carroll has been very accomodating so far - my mom and I have met with everyone imaginable to make sure everything gets done, and it's been great. I was able to schedule my classes with my advisor for my major through priority early registration - no morning classes for me ;) There are benches in the showers, I have a single room, first floor & they are providing me with my own A/C (I'm bringing my own floor fan too .. so it will definitely be cool enough B) ), they also changed the thermostat in the lounge so it's colder for me!!, classes have A/C and aren't a far walk at all (the advisor for Students w/Disabilities even walked from my dorm to my classes for me - before my visit - to check out my classrooms and the walk itself!) Some classes are on the 1st floor or they otherwise have elevator access. After meeting with the advisor for Disabilities this week, my mom and I went over my condition with her while she took notes. She was GREAT, and is going to type up a letter for me to give out to my teachers (in addition to my own letter I've been using the past few years) and I am meeting with her also the first week of classes to "tweak" the letter myself.

She also told me to set up a meeting with whoever is in charge of student jobs on campus - that way she could talk to her, and then I could go in and explain which jobs I can/can't do.

It was a little scary at first thinking I would be living on my own, dealing with POTS, but I am only about 45 min. or so from home. My parents or my brother could always be there if I really needed anything, and we have relatives within 10 min. of campus. So I'm really more exciting/nervous (in a good way!) right now.

If you have any questions about anything, or if your daughter would like to talk to me about going away -- anything -- just let me know!! I will be moving in in 8 short days. :D

sallyann-

Nope, I am the only one with POTS! Although, sometimes I feel like my mom understands POTS and my symptoms so much that she might as well have it too :lol: My mom is the one who takes care of me, so she is always on the forum just trying to find out new info!

Thanks again everyone, and I look forward to hearing all of your stories!

*ChRiSsY*

Just wanted to add my little welcome too, Chrissy!

Looking forward to hearing about your college experiences! I'm so happy that they've been so accomodating! I hope your move goes smoothly and that you settle in to things without much trouble!

Keep us posted on how you're doing! :lol:

Angela

Hi Chrissy!

Sorry I'm late in welcoming you! I was relishing some time out of the house recently after a long period of being bed-bound. I'm 24, also a Clevelander...I got a degree from Case Western Reserve not too long ago and have been finishing up a masters there too. I used to drive by John Carroll almost everyday and almost went there instead of Case. I'm so glad to hear you have good support from the staff there. It's really wonderful when people put so much energy into accomodating your health needs. Also super glad to hear you decided to live in the dorms. It's a great experience! Good luck with your move in.

Kristen

Welcome! I'm sorry you are having to deal with this at such a young age but I'm glad you have this site to help you through. I was diagnosed 9 or 10 years ago but it's only been the last year and a half that I found this website. I wish I had had something like this when I was first diagnosed and when I was younger.

Welcome Chrissy! glad you finally have your own name!! Hope school starts off well, and you are feeling great!

I'm very jealous about your AC situation, I only had it 2 of my almost 6 years at OU!! And I even spent a couple stifling summers there as well! Why didn't I think of some of those ideas off-campus! :)

Keep us updated as often as you can, and most importantly HAVE FUN!! :)

Take Care

-Steph