I have a lady question

Sorry for the personal question but the last 3 months before I get my period I get a mild yeast infection. It's uncomfortable and annoying. I haven't had one of these since I was a teenager. Does this have anything to do with dysautomia? I know it's not an intercourse thing since it's been about 6months for me and my husband (poor guy, but understanding). I just took a 150mg dose of Fluconazole. I hope it kicks it out of my system.

I feel like each month another part of my body gets bad. Migraines, Nausea, and Yeast Infections not a good combination. I could scream thinking what's next.

Dayna

generally speaking (b/c nothing would surprise me) i can't see any direct connection to dysautonomia, but am wondering if you've started on any new meds? even within the past year? there are a lot of meds out there that can make the growth of yeast more likely & often it wouldn't happen right away.

just a thought...

:-)melissa

I'm with Melissa on this one. It's likely due to hormonal changes that affect your body's "flora". You should discuss this with your doctor to see if there is anything you can do, aside from meds, to stop the infections.

Nina

Do you take Acidophillus? I think acidophillus is one of the most important things a woman can take b/c it balances out and puts back all the good bacteria.

Natren has a great brand of acidophillus including one you can use as a suppository.

www.natren.com has all the products listed...

Lots of things can trigger yeast infections, from stress, to hormonal changes, to diet, to medications.

I never had problems till I started using mini pads. Needless to say I don't use them anymore. I also am not surprised by anything our bodies do. morgan

p,s. If you want to make your hubby feel better, tell him it's been almost 2 years for other people. Thank God for nice husbands...... :)

Dayna,

I thought I was the only oddball here who was getting yeast infections. Mine started as soon as my period returned following breastfeeding my daughter. I developed POTS just after having her.

I don't know what's causing them, but it's very annoying and uncomfortable. And mine aren't always yeast infections -- in fact, sometimes I just swell up down there and turn red, but have gone in to see my midwife and had a swab done, and there was no yeast. So for me, I go back and forth between what the midwife calls "vaginitis" (some sort of inflammation but not really yeast) and actual yeast infections.

I have a standing Rx for Diflucan. It's the only med I can do for yeast infections, since it works so fast and I don't have the patience for the messy creams. I also take acidophilus daily and it doesn't work. But I still take it anyway, and I eat a ton of low-sugar yogurt, just in case it maybe is preventing me from having a CONSTANT yeast infection!

Anyway, I empathize. Have you had your fasting glucose level checked? Frequent yeast infections can be a sign of diabetes or insulin resistance. I don't have this, though. Also, you can try actually inserting an acidophilus capsule into the vagina to see if this helps to control the yeast. And try cutting back on your sugar intake, as sugar promotes yeast growth. Good luck.

Amy

hi dayna,

just thought i'd add a "me too", this only started happening about three months ago, i'm still trying to get the Depo Provera injection out of my system (last injection was 11 months ago) so my hormones and periods are all over the place.

i also take acidophilis and it's not working.

i'm going to try the less sugar that calypso advised (thank you) i eat loads of sugar around my period.

becky x x x

dayna,

my memory is vague right now...but, i had a persistant vaginal mess early on in my POTS fiasco. i thought it was yeast, but it wasn't...so i would go with calypso'w words and make sure you know what you are dealing with...

i ended up having vaginal strep! gross, i know. we couldn't clear it up. i even saw a midwife who had me putting yogurt on my vagina and garlic cloves in it! can you believe i am writing this here??? anyway, i went off of the pill i was on (b/c i didn't know what was going on health wise at the time and was trying to figure out what was what) and the infection went away on it's own! then, i later started a different pill with no problems. weird.

morgan, could you expand on the mini pad thing??? i always think they aggravate me, but what are the other options? i have lots of breakthrough bleeding. i think some pads have more synthetic stuff that is more irritating vs. some that have more cotton.

aaaahhhh, dayna, time for a trip to the gyn to get that mystery infection/yeast/vaginitis cultured! happy happy joy joy huh?

emily

Hi

i just wanted to chime in here... shortly after i started having pots symptoms, i began getting yeast infections.. dont know why... never had them before.. I take difflucant for them... and sometimes have to use and perscription strength anti itch cream...(yuck!)

good luck

The verdict is in......it's a yeast infection - and it *****. Oh well as long as it doesn't turn chronic, this too shall pass.

Thank you everyone for sharing your personal experiences with me. I know vaginal irritation is not the "HOT" topic.

My husband said he should have ordered a body scan before he married me because I'm 28 and falling apart. He was just joking.... he loves me regardless. Anyways he seems to be falling apart more than me and he isn't living with a chronic illness. Just like when I was pregnant, I think he's sympathizing with me. Through out my three pregnancies his belly grew and now he's tired all the time. He told me if he goes to the doctor they will dx him with Crazy wife dysfunction ;) ..........and there's no cure for that either :) .

Dayna :)

dayna -

glad you at least have a certain answer so that you know what you're dealing with & can proceed accordingly.

and even more so i'm glad that you (and the hubby) seem to be doing great at keeping your senses of humor in the midst of everything...

hope you're feeling better soon,

:-)melissa

I can totally relate to this. I have had problems with yeast in all forms since I was 16 years old. 2 weeks after I started birth control pills for the first time, at age 16, I got my first infection. I battled chronic repeated infections for 3 years until I finally gave up on the pill after trying many different ones including the Depo shot. I have been unable to tolerate hormonal forms of birth control ever since, and still struggle with yeast problems. When I was pregnant with Alex I had one for 6 months of the pregnancy...and when I was breastfeeding Ethan I had thrush for the first 3 months and got it again a few months later...with this baby I am being very careful so that doesn't happen again. I take a high powered pro-biotic every day, it's called Bio-K Plus (it's like a little bottle of yogurt- one of these is as potent as eating 200 regular yogurts without the sugar). It works GREAT and I haven't had any more problems since I started taking it several months ago!!

Also aviding sugar is important, since yeast thrives on it. Most mild infections can be cured with acidopholus and avoiding sugar, but it can take up to about a week to notice improvement.

Hope it goes away soon (and stays away!!) B)

Hi

I just wanted to add that i have heard of cases of Candida infections spreading in the body and creating the person to feel quite sick (quite similar symptoms to POTS of CFS) and i know of someone who has pretty much recoverd from using a systematic antifungal.

Im not a dr, but i thought it may be something to look into if you have not already tried it :)

To tell you the truth i am not exactly sure.

here is a link if it may help http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...0&dopt=Abstract

from what i have been told from my friend (you would want to check with a dr of course) they are a type of antifungal that work throughout your body instead of just on one area.

Personally i find that antibiotics really mess with my body and the systematic antifungal is meant to be safe in that regards that it wont heighten bacterial (i am not sure if thats the right word) imbalances that cause things like yeast infection.

Again i want to stress i dont have medical training. I am just going on what a friend has experienced and from my wittnessing her improvement on these medications. I may be able to get some more detailed information from her in a few weeks. Just thought if any of you were going to a dr it may be a idea to at least look at the option.