Can the cognitive issues be this bad with Dysautonomia?

My brain fog and balance issues have been steadily getting gradually worst as a full year has gone by and my tests are not until the end of September.

I worry though that there might be something seriously wrong with my brain that nobody is looking into whilst they wait to see what the Autonomic Neurologist says, but as its taking so long and I am getting worst, I worry that something that needs treating urgently is being missed because they only want to test me one thing at a time.

Today, I feel as if I have drunk a whole bottle of neat vodka, Its hard to stand up straight, if I love my eyes, its quite a delay before my brain stabalises the new image.

I took my blood pressure, heart and oxygen rate and everything looks fine, but I feel so dreadfully ill.

Can Dysautonomia cause such severe brain fog?

At my worst I couldn't put a sentence together , I couldnt comprehend what people were saying and my surroundings felf fuzzy not real (I know that sounds weird)even now I'm better my husband will often take a knife of me when I'm preparing dinner because my coordination is off,  I often forget conversations we have had too. These days it tends to be evenings I have brain fog.

I have a lot of vision disturbances as well. I often can't correlate my feeling ill with low BP or high HR,  it seems to be when my fatigue is bad

I hope all goes well for you in September 

Yes, I think dysautonomia absolutely can cause such bad cognitive issues. That is certainly my experience. I too can be sitting there with perfect heart rate, BP and O2 sats and feel extremely lightheaded and out of it. 

Remember that peripheral measurements of heart rate and blood pressure are not surrogates for either cardiac output or cerebral blood flow. To calculate cardiac output, stroke volume has to be known, and that can only be measured with much more advanced and invasive tests. 

So two people can have the same heart rate and blood pressure, but vastly different cardiac outputs and hence cerebral blood flow. 

I just wish more doctors remembered the basic principles of circulatory physiology from medical school rather than deeming a highly symptomatic patient to be perfectly fine based on their peripheral vital signs being normal. 

Have you got a date for the autonomic unit yet? Is it the one at UCLH? That's where I am currently trying to get in once they accept my out of area funding. 

best wishes,

B x

2 minutes ago, bombsh3ll said:

Yes, I think dysautonomia absolutely can cause such bad cognitive issues. That is certainly my experience. I too can be sitting there with perfect heart rate, BP and O2 sats and feel extremely lightheaded and out of it. 

Remember that peripheral measurements of heart rate and blood pressure are not surrogates for either cardiac output or cerebral blood flow. To calculate cardiac output, stroke volume has to be known, and that can only be measured with much more advanced and invasive tests. 

So two people can have the same heart rate and blood pressure, but vastly different cardiac outputs and hence cerebral blood flow. 

I just wish more doctors remembered the basic principles of circulatory physiology from medical school rather than deeming a highly symptomatic patient to be perfectly fine based on their peripheral vital signs being normal. 

Have you got a date for the autonomic unit yet? Is it the one at UCLH? That's where I am currently trying to get in once they accept my out of area funding. 

best wishes,

B x

Thanks all.

Yes I have three appointments in the week around 24th September. Yes, it is at the UCLH, Just a bit worried that the nice Lady doctor I saw in February who said I had "Autonomic Instability"m Dr Iodice, well she is no longer at that hospital, I do hope I dont get one of these doctors who fob you off at the slightest excuse to lesson their workload. 

I can become a demented mess when I get bad. Can't find words, can't talk without slurring my words or scrambling letters, not able to follow a conversation,  can't remember what I said or did an hour ago - short of not recognizing my loved ones I can be completely useless and lost. 

Some people have ups and downs with dysautonomia.   That is what the other posters seem to have mentioned. If you are getting steadily worse over time that is something to mention to your doctor, especially if your BP and HR are fine at the time this is happening.  It could be dysautonomia or something else.   

Interestingly enough, I've been having an awful "brain fog" week. Can't focus, can't concentrate, feels like it takes a week to get out one sentence... Also been very dizzy despite normal vital parameters as well. 

Youre not alone, hang in there! Hopefully your appointments next month can help you out. 

Yes!! I have worse issues when I get overheated and it makes it worse. I don't know what I would do without central A/C. I didn't have it last year for a few months and I about lost my mind. It is like my head is full of cotton all the time. And I can't find words or memories. Like the tracks are missing. 

We laugh about it now as a joke but when this happened it was not funny. My hubby and I were discussing what to make for dinner. And I was trying to tell him that there was a bag of tater tots in the freezer. I spent ten minutes describing them, miming, anything to get him to understand. Finally I drug myself out of bed and had to grab them out of the freezer and show him. I could not find the word tater tots. 

It drives me a little crazy even now but it is not so bad now. Sometimes I go whole days without "losing" a word. 

Usually when my brain fogs up I usually try to get extra sleep that night (I am usually worse in the evenings) and the next day it is a little better. 

Hope you feel better soon and the doctors find out what is going on. 

I was at my worst when I withdrew from a drug called "Lexapro," which triggered a worsening of my POTS symptoms.

I thought I had had a stroke. I told people that - because I could barely read or concentrate.  A neurologist who examined me suggested that I was just depressed. 

Eventually, I got better. It is really an awful thing though - temporarily losing your cognitive faculties - and you'd think that the world would put more money and resources into treating POTS and other conditions that rob otherwise healthy people of their autonomy and cognition.

How did you wean off the Lexapro? It can give you bad symptoms if you do not reduce the dosage slowly over at least 6-8 weeks ( even more if you were on it for a long time ). 

Have you yet been tested for vertigo? Your primary can do a Dix Hallpike test in their office, they will know in moments if you have vertigo. Vestibular PT is a corrective blessing, it should improve your balance, gait and core strength. Last year I wrote a newsletter article about my neurotherapy called 'Walking out of the Fog'; I still practice this everyday and it has been wonderful for improving clarity and cognisance. As important as neurotherapy is eating a well-balanced diet. I get all my nutrients from the foods I eat and drink--zero supplements. My cardiologist recommended this and it was an immediate improvement, it got much better when I increased my percentage of foods high in electrolytes. 

>How did you wean off the Lexapro? It can give you bad symptoms if you do not reduce the dosage slowly over at least 6-8 weeks ( even more if you were on it for a long time ). 

I just quit. Yes, it was tough! Now I am afraid of anti-depressants!

I have had days where I go catatonic.  Just can’t talk or think.  I also frequently can’t find words.  One of the more amusing was trying to tell my husband something about my ankle.  I spent ten minutes trying to think of the word then just blurted out “you know, feet wrists”! I really hate not being able to read anything remotely difficult or even light stuff for more than about a half hour.  I used to read court transcripts and dense government policy documents and enjoyed it.  I can’t concentrate and get extremely fatigued.  All that hey is sleep.

10 hours ago, WinterSown said:

Have you yet been tested for vertigo? Your primary can do a Dix Hallpike test in their office, they will know in moments if you have vertigo.

I saw my GP just a couple of weeks ago and did mention vertigo but in a sort of dismissive way by saying, "if it was something wrong with my inner ear, wouldn't I feel a spinning dizzyness?, I just feel off balanced", I said this in the hope that she might consider testing for Vertigo if she thought it a possibility, but she is happy to wait for the Autonomic testing she arranged for me last December, if that doesnt come up with anything, come back and see me, she said!

The fact it all happened from the day In first took beta blockers does make me think its all Autonomic, if it was vertigo, it would have to have been a co-incidence to have started the same day as taking beta blockers. Also, my symptoms get worst as the day progresses, and eases off when I lie down, wouldnt vertigo be a constant?

3 hours ago, p8d said:

I have had days where I go catatonic.  Just can’t talk or think.  I also frequently can’t find words.  One of the more amusing was trying to tell my husband something about my ankle.  I spent ten minutes trying to think of the word then just blurted out “you know, feet wrists”! I really hate not being able to read anything remotely difficult or even light stuff for more than about a half hour.  I used to read court transcripts and dense government policy documents and enjoyed it.  I can’t concentrate and get extremely fatigued.  All that hey is sleep.

The other day I fancied a coffee, boiled the kettle, went to get my cup, and found it full of the steaming hot coffee I had literally just made already!

3 hours ago, p8d said:

:D I like it! "Feet wrists" thanks for the giggle. Glad I am not the only one that has trouble finding words. 

9 hours ago, Peter Charlton said:

You don't have to get the spins from vertigo. I think in the past few years I've only felt that once or twice . Generally, I see the walls move, the sidewalk elongates or turns and rolls--even feel like I'm walking a banked path when we turn the corner. I have problems with single steps and the slight angle of wheelchair ramps on block corners, gait imbalance and falling over to the side, the ceiling visually coming down making me wonder if I'll get squashed by the grid between the tiles, lol. You can certainly have a sensation of movement outside your body but it doesn't have to go in a circle. If it bothers you again be a little more pushy with the doctor or go someplace else. A Dix Hallpike takes about 20 seconds, if that. I am surprised your doctor did not do one on the spot once you said you were experiencing dizziness. 

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:59 AM, Peter Charlton said:

My brain fog and balance issues have been steadily getting gradually worst as a full year has gone by and my tests are not until the end of September.

I worry though that there might be something seriously wrong with my brain that nobody is looking into whilst they wait to see what the Autonomic Neurologist says, but as its taking so long and I am getting worst, I worry that something that needs treating urgently is being missed because they only want to test me one thing at a time.

Today, I feel as if I have drunk a whole bottle of neat vodka, Its hard to stand up straight, if I love my eyes, its quite a delay before my brain stabalises the new image.

I took my blood pressure, heart and oxygen rate and everything looks fine, but I feel so dreadfully ill.

Can Dysautonomia cause such severe brain fog?

Have you ever been tested for Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome "Hughes Syndrome!" A lot of people who have autonomic dysfunction also have this syndrome. It cause mental confusion and balance problems because of sticky blood. You can ask your doctor about trying a daily low dose aspirin to thin the blood, and if this helps, maybe you have sticky blood. But you need to discuss all of this with your doctor as a lot of medical issues can cause brain fog and balance issues. It's just something to look into. 

4 hours ago, blizzard2014 said:

Have you ever been tested for Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome "Hughes Syndrome!" A lot of people who have autonomic dysfunction also have this syndrome. It cause mental confusion and balance problems because of sticky blood. You can ask your doctor about trying a daily low dose aspirin to thin the blood, and if this helps, maybe you have sticky blood. But you need to discuss all of this with your doctor as a lot of medical issues can cause brain fog and balance issues. It's just something to look into. 

Is "sticky blood" the same thing as "thick blood" ? Curious because it was something my grandmother said she had and medical terms was not something she liked to use. 

9 hours ago, StayAtHomeMom said:

Is "sticky blood" the same thing as "thick blood" ? Curious because it was something my grandmother said she had and medical terms was not something she liked to use. 

Yeah, sticky bloods, thick bloods is also another term for APS, Hughes Syndrome and it causes all of the cognitive symptoms. It cause muscle jerking, brain fog, forgetting words, balance problems, tinnitus, all because the bloods are too thick. 

22 minutes ago, blizzard2014 said:

Yeah, sticky bloods, thick bloods is also another term for APS, Hughes Syndrome and it causes all of the cognitive symptoms. It cause muscle jerking, brain fog, forgetting words, balance problems, tinnitus, all because the bloods are too thick. 

Interesting information. Thanks. I may have to look that up for more information. Sounds like an interesting read. 

14 hours ago, blizzard2014 said:

Not that I am aware of, but I did start a thread here a while back along the lines of as I have Oedema due to a measure of heart failure, even if a drink enough, if the fluid just hangs around in my legs and feet, would that give me the same symptoms as dehydration?

6 hours ago, Peter Charlton said:

Not that I am aware of, but I did start a thread here a while back along the lines of as I have Oedema due to a measure of heart failure, even if a drink enough, if the fluid just hangs around in my legs and feet, would that give me the same symptoms as dehydration?

I'm not sure if that would cause dehydration or not. I can look online to see.

On 8/30/2018 at 12:12 AM, Peter Charlton said:

Oedema means you are retaining too much fluid. It’s not likely to cause the same symptoms as dehydration even if the fluid is in your legs.