I'm such a clutz!!!

Oh my goodness did I ever do a "Nina move" tonight. I slipped and lost my balance in my living room this evening and cracked my head on the corner of our coffee table, which has a marble top. I don't think I passed out, but the whole thing is a bit of a blur and according to Teri, I screamed for about a half hour while she tried to 1) stop the bleeding from my scalp and 2) help me calm down. I have a gash about 3 or 4 inches long on the crown of my head. ^_^:blink: Hurt so much that I couldn't stop crying for a good hour, even with me trying to do everything I know how to do to get through pain.

The livingroom looked like a crime scene, but Teri did a fabulous job of cleaning everything up after tending to me. I still may need to go to an urgent care or ER some time tomorrow (oh, that's today at this point--it's 3:20 am) for sutures. As everyone here knows, and some of the current threads can attest, the ER just plain stinks as an option...but I might be out of options when Teri wakes up. I'm still kind of "leaking" a little--and I am worried about what will happen if we try to wash my very matted head of hair.

Whew. All I can say now is thank goodness for drugs. I want to kiss my pain management doctor :wub: right about now for giving me meds for my spinal nerve pains--apparently, it works for great for clutzy-cracking-self-in-the-head pain too. Clearly it hurts too much for me to sleep comfortably (head on pillow=throbbing), but it's a weekend so staying up late is just fine with me. I might even sleep in my rocking chair, which is my old friend from when I had my spinal surgeries and it was tough to lie down. I did catch about an hour earlier, but the pain meds wore off, so now you're all privy to my wee-hour-undrugged ramblings.

Off to find the pill bottle and my ice pack. Here's to a less clutzy tomorrow! Cheers. :) Nina

Hi Nina,

I thought everybody would be sleeping by now (well, everyone in your timezone at least). I'm terribly sorry about your "Nina move". I hope you don't have to sleep in your rocking chair because that might not be too comfortable!!! Well, hope you could find the pill bottle without any other "Nina moves" ^_^ and please, get well soon!!!! All the best,

Corina

Oh and if you kiss the pain management doc you maybe could ask him some new pill bottles? :blink:

OH, MY GOODNESS! So sorry to hear of your nasty fall--falling because of loss of balance is scary. I often have felt like I am going to fall and catch myself at the last minute. I would have to tell the ER doc not to give me the numbing preparation with the epi in it if I were having sutures. I hope you get cleaned up real soon and get some rest. Take care, Martha

Thanks... I managed to get about 4 hours of sleep. Teri is about to wash my hair so we can see what's going on and whether or not I need stitches. We have some things here at home, including stuff that's a sterile glue, kind of like crazy glue for skin. If I need stitches, however, I don't think I could go without the lidocaine. I have never had a problem with it in the past--and the scalp is very vascular, which also means very rich in nerve endings.

I'll fill you all in later on how the hair washing adventure goes. Nina

Nina, if you need stitches, which it sounds like you do, you only have a small window of time to get them. I believe 6 to 8 hours. When people wait too long, the skin doesn't heal well, as it's already trying to heal on it's own. I'm so sorry this happened and head wounds are such gushers. Hope it feels better soon. From one klutz to another! (Ihave broken 5 toes in the last year) morgan

Yes, too late for stitches. I can't see what I did, but according to Teri, I have two cuts and right now all is quiet--best to just leave well enough alone and let my body try to heal itself.

Meanwhile, I'm exhausted. Off to try to nap a bit. Thanks to each of you for your well wishes--and yes, I've often joked about needing to childproof my house in order to make it safe for me. ^_^

Nina

Guest Mary from OH

Nina-

Too late for stitches, but did you guys at least check for signs of a concussion I hope???? That was the first thing I worried about!!!

And you were worried about sleeping, you silly mouse!! Please have Teri check you eyes, etc. For me? Thanks!!

Hope you're feeling a little better! Can't think much better to give you better advice!! Still have a level 10 migraine despite Oxycontin. I'm ready for a padded cell!!

Take care of yourself and please watch for concussion!! And that you didn't further damage your poor neck!!! You've got me all worried now! Not a nice thing to do to a friend with a migraine!! LOL!! But, then again, it doesn't take much to get me worried!!

No concussion that we could tell--although both my eyes are a little sluggish right now from the pain meds.

I'm hanging in there--and I like the bubble wrap idea. Made me giggle. I was joking with my neighbors today that I can't come inside their house any more because they have tables with sharp corners. ^_^

Nina

Mouses are suppose to be agile don't you know??? LOL! Want me to crochet you some corners for your furniture??? :-)

Sorry this happened and hope you are feeling better today!

Sending you a smile a hug and hope you get some sleep!

Stacey :-)

Nina, just catching up on messages and WOW! that must have hurt terribly. So Sorry for your pain. Time to get out the walker with wheels and scoot around your place or the hard hat or maybe both!!

I hope that you are feeling much better by now and not because the pain meds are masking what you are feeling (although that helps!!).

Rest well and don't push too hard the remainder of the weekend.

Thanks everyone! I slept lucky 13 hours last night and felt quite a bit better this morning. Still have a throbber of a headache, but WAY better than yesterday...and WAY WAY better than Friday night into the wee hours of Saturday morning. Felt good enough to tag along with Teri on the food shopping trip. Still needed a nap afterward, but that's not too unusual.

I have my neurologist appointment tomorrow as a follow up for all my spinal issues, so if the headach is still really bad, I might have to fess up to my head whacking accident to get some help.

Nina

Guest Julia59

Nina,

I am glad your feeling a bit better---and I am also glad your seeing your neurologist tomorrow.

I would mention the head wacking thing to him---just to be safe. I'm wonder if your having some balance issues---and not a "clutz" issue............ :angry:

If you have any compression on your spine it can affect you balance.

I hope your appointment goes well with the neuro man tomorrow. Hope your headache gets better too-------- :(

Take Care,

Julie :0)

Guest tearose

Ouch Nina, what a bad place to get cut!

I hope you are healing nicely and that this was just a fluke accident!

Tell us what the neurologist says!

tearose

The neuro thinks it was my blood pressure that made me lose my balance, as it always happens upon attempting to stand from being seated (exactly what happened the other night). He said the other option is that an inner ear thing was making me dizzy--but his thought is that it was the bp, and now I may ALSO have an inner ear issue because I whacked myself so hard (uh, yes, concussion).

Meanwhile, he wants me to do a few things: see a local ep cardio to treat my near-fainting and bp drops, as well as my blood pressure. It was high today 140/94. He asked when I was seeing Dr. Grubb again and I told him that Dr. G was just returning to work and is very backlogged. I'm not so hip on the idea of trying another cardiologist--haven't had any good experiences with those who aren't on the DINET and/or NDRF lists. I didn't make any promises--I see the neuro again in 6 weeks and I'll talk with him again about it then.

Also, he ordered a few more tests that he would have typically done if he were diagnosing me. He said that since I arrived to him with my dx from Columbia Pres, confiremed by NIH and Dr. G, he didn't order a battery of tests. At this point, he asked if I would be okay with him doing the tests he would have normally ordered before a TTT, to rule out routine issues. I said "no problem". He then joked with me "remember what they say about making assumptions" and I said, yes I know that saying about making an "a-- out of you and me." He said, no, not that one, it's got bad words in it--and it goes like this: Making assumptions leads to royal medical f--- ups!"

:angry: So, I have to schedule an EEG and a brain MRI with contrast. Doo dah, Doo dah day. Nina :(

I think your neurologist was right. I am sure that my pronounced dizziness (and balance issues) are from my blood pressure fluctuations as well. I also spilled my cereal this morning after getting my son his bowl, and I realized that I was having "greying out" at the time. I am also curious to know how your BP issues would be treated because mine are very similar. I never know when to add salt or just have extra flluids. Martha

Guest Mary from OH

See.... I wasn't kidding about the concussion!!! I'm glad you shared with your neuro!! He sounds like a nice guy!! Now be a good little mouse and have all your tests done!! You don't need to go and get hurt again!! If nothing else.... WE NEED YOU!!!!!

:angry:

Guest Mary from OH

What am I going to do with you girls??!!! Did YOU hit your head??!! If so, get to YOUR dr!!

I hope you feel better!! It MUST be something in the air!! This is getting a little too "contagious"!!

Everyone, be careful today and make sure you put your bubble wrap on before getting out of bed!!

Mary, maybe we should declare a pajama party and just stay in bed today (LOL)

Nina I hope you are doing much better today. I am very glad you confessed to the neuro.....I can just imagine him shaking his head at you and saying, "now, tell me again, WHY didn't you go to the ER for stitches and a check for concussion?" and then laughing. You must behave yourself Mighty Mouse!

Blackwolf, do not follow in MM's shoes! As Mary asked already, did you get yourself checked out?? btw, I have to take extra precautions about falling because I have osteoporosis in my hips already and if I fall, I break....ouch.

Be safe everyone!

You all are so nice... and I thank you for you words and thoughts. I do still have a bad headache, but given what I did to myself, I'm not surprised.

Somehow I think that the clutziness happens to be a pretty common thread among our crew--something about that sinking blood pressure that leaves us teetering around :lol: Maybe I can market a POTS home safety kit that's basically a huge roll of bubble wrap.

Nina

Guest Julia59

Here's something funny, when I lose my balance I have this weird step I do to get my bearings back. Well my husband caught me doing that the other day and asked me if I was alright. I said I was---and told him I was used to it. He said---"well I saw you doing the "cha cha cha".

I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants. So from now on when the floor tries to move on me I do the "cha cha cha" and I get me footing back. If not, I know I better sit---and now.

Nina----I hope your pain goes away soon. Keep us updated on your Brain MRI.

Take care.

Julie :0)