Gatorade

I have been wondering about gatorade. I have been told not to have more than 100gms of carbs/day, because of blood pooling in stomach. I drink such great volumes, and think a gatorade type beverage would help. I understand we are all different. I have heard that there are some sugar free kinds of gatorade. Please give me some feedback. Since everyone should be following their docs orders, I'm wondering if there are any ideas. Miriam :P:P

If Gatorade gives you any problems, there are low sugar and sugar free electrolyte drinks that you can buy - either in powder form or pre-made. Someone listed a low sugar electrolyte drink recently on a post somewhere (I think it's made by the same company as Gatorade). You may want to do a search for previous posts.

I drink Gatorade occasionally, but I always dilute with 50% water so it's not so sugary. I also don't care for the food dyes they put in these drinks. I've been meaning to do some searching on the net for a healthier alternative. But I believe you may find some listed on this forum as well if you do a search. :P

Actually, I think Propel is flavored water with vitamins. I dont think it has sodium and potassium the way Gatorade does, so it is probably not as effective for hydration. I do OK with Gatorade, but I try to limit my intake to 1 glass/day, because I am worried about the calories. I have seen electrolyte drinks in the store such as Emergen-C, but I haven't found anything that's low cal and has enough sodium, other than broth.

I get headaches, but not from gatorade. I love the stuff (lemon lime, anyway); makes me feel better every time I drink a glass. (Years ago I had a vacation in a warm climate and I felt sick sick sick the whole time. This is pre diagnosis and I'd never tasted gatorade before. Someone recommended it to me and I was hooked; it made me feel instantly better. Hydrated for what felt like the first time.) I try to drink at least a glass a day, mixing powdered at work and splurging on premixed on the weekends at home. It's not higher in calories than other juices like V-8 etc. I don't think 50 for a glass is very much ... WAY better than a can of ginger ale or coke!

Guest tearose

I tease about cookies, but I do love my sugars and really watch not to overdo my sugar intake. If I overdo, I need to sleep! So, I just don't let myself go there. Gatorade just tastes too sweet for my sweet tooth, odd but that's just me.

I prefer the powdered packets of electrolytes for ease of transport in my pots tote bag. I always have water with me so if I suddenly need electrolytes, I just tear the packet open pour it in 6-8oz of water and drink. I like the grape flavor. I use the Kao lectrolyte for children. Here is the information, it is less than the adult requirements but when I'm dehydrated or low in electrolytes it is better to have this dosage anyway. You know, it is a slow and steady way to replenish and not flush it all out.

Sodium: 12 meq Potassium: 5meq Chloride: 10 meq

Citrate: 7 meq Dextrose: 5 grams Calories: 22

I also use the emergen-c packets mentioned by someone else.

tearose

Hydralyte has been the solution for me....I can't take the sugar in Gatorade either. Hydralyte is a wonderful solution for me....I found it online at sportsdrinks.com. I have seen it in healthfood-type stores as well.

I HIGHLY recommend it. It is actually specially designed for people like us who need fast electrolyte infusions.

It comes in a powdered form that you add water to....so you control the strength as well.

It's great and NOT full of sugar. It really, really helps me.

And yes, Propel does not have electrolytes....just vitamins...too bad because I LIKE Propel!

Good luck!

Kristen

Kristen, I went to the Hydralyte company web site to look at an ingredients list for that product and couldn't find it. Found lots of compelling reasons to try that product, though, and I will! My guess, though, is that it has some sort of "sugar" in it--in the form of sucrose or dextrose or fructose or some other "ose." Does it?

BTW, Gatorade doesn't list "sugar" on the ingredients list--but it does, of course, have the "oses." For anyone curious about what these or any other words mean--and where their sweeteners come from (and whether natural or artificial), check out the web site http://www.answers.com. Very easy to use and a great reference source. I won't use ANY artificial sweeteners in anything...

A final note on gatorade--not every flavor is formulated the same way, and the ingredients vary. The ONLY flavor I can drink is the lemon lime--occasionally the fruit punch or orange; others leave me with a terrible aftertaste! :o

I can't do Gatorade. Tastes way too sweet and leaves a horrible after taste, plus my body just can't handle the sugar (natural or otherwise).

I did Emergen-C powders for a long time, and especially liked the cranberry. But over the past year or two my electrolytes have changed balance pretty drastically. Now the potassium in the Emergen-C is a problem for me, so I can't drink that any longer. All I drink is water, and a rare "medicinal" usage of about 2 or 3 tablespoons of coffee (and the rest of the cup filled with hot water) if I just cannot stay awake at work. But I do make some variation of chicken soup fairly often, so that counts toward my liquids, too.

Propel doesn't have any electrolytes? I had no idea, I always felt more hydrated when I drank it - wishful thinking I guess. I can't tolerate sugar well either, but I've been buying the powdered form of gatorade and I just throw a pinch or two in my water. It seems to help. Sometimes I'll add a tiny bit of sea salt to my water, although gatorade tastes better :o

Steph - What do the Frost, Ice, etc flavors taste like?

Hi;

The Hydralyte sweetener is glucose (the can says glucose derived from corn).

The complete list of ingredients is:

glucose, citric acid, potassium chloride, sodium bicarbonate, dipotassium phosphate, ascorbic acid (vitamin c), sodium chloride, fructose, magnesium gluconate, calcium gluconate, maltodextrin, natural fruit flavor, beta carotene, and red grapeseed natural colors.

The can also says: Hydralyte contains these ingedients to make the solution isotonic for rapid absorption directly from your stomach into circulation, supply vital electrolytes for cell functions, buffer the drink so it won't upset your stomach, be an antioxidant and facilitate the use of energy in the cells, and make the drink more palatable so you'll drink before you need it.

It was developed by a biochemist/athlete/runner.

The website is : www.Gookinaid.com

(It used to be called Gookinaid)

Kristen

Mayo actually stated that Propel is one of the better "enhanced" waters as it isn't loaded with as much sugar as some of the other ones. My wife's doctor actually did research on it after we asked. The big suggestion was Pedialyte though. Pedialyte is very expensive though. My wife had been using some of the "knock offs" which have the same list of nutrients as Pedialyte.

I have been wondering about gatorade.  I have been told not to have more than 100gms of carbs/day, because of blood pooling in stomach.  I drink such great volumes, and think a gatorade type beverage would help.  I understand we are all different.  I have heard that there are some sugar free kinds of gatorade.  Please give me some feedback.  Since everyone should be following their docs orders, I'm wondering if there are any ideas.  Miriam :(  :D

Hi Miriam - some good electrolite drink without sugar are Ceralyte which you can order at Ceralyte.com... I get the unflavored kind and add a pinch of unsweetened cool aid for flavor.

Also Electromix and Emergen C by Alacer is great...You can get those in lost health food stores.

I usually only drink electrolite drinks b/c plain water flushes me out.

Feel better :)

HI - I also forgot to add that emergen C Makes "Emergen C Lite" No sugar and no calories...Thats the one I drink since the rest have fructose in it for sweeteners.

I can remember that on a previous discussion on this topic, one of our nurses or nutritionist gave a very detailed explanatin why we need some sugar to get the right mix for rehydrating (too bad I can't remember exactly!). I know that I have tried several other drinks -- most recently, Gookinaid, someone recommended -- and it threw my electrolytes way off and I became very symptomatic. I remember someone else had the same reaction. Once again, it just shows we all react differently!

I can't do the gatorade full strength either but I can't do without drinking it or I feel worse. I also dilute and salt the lemon lime flavor. They have a new lemonade flavor I think I may try.

Gatorade has save me SO MANY TIMES in the last several years of horrible debilitation, I could do a commercial!!!

It really is like an oral IV. I drink a tall glass slowly or on bad days, guzzle one cup and then dilute a little with water, to make it last.

but if really dehydrated, mixing it with water will flush it out of your system quicker. There is a REASON for the forumlation and that's because the body RETAINS IT.

As somebody who has peed way too much over the years (salt didn't do a darn thing for this problem but DDAVP DID) I can't sing the praises enough of Gatorade. They have saved me trips to the ER (which I ALWAYS, ALWAYS TRY TO AVOID and have only had to go twice in 15 years)

I have reactive hypoglycemia but Gatorade has NEVER bothered me.

I must say the flavors vary GREATLY AND MANY OF THE NEWER ONES ARE REVOLTING!?!!?!?!?

I like the clearLime or Orange. Hard to find, but like to drink them when I can but otherwise, Orange is my favorite ( and my 84 year old mother) or Lemon Lime.

The labels all look similar so read carefully. All bottles have the SAME RATIO of calories and 50 calories for 8 ounces is good. Some flavors are so TOTALLY DISGUSTING I don't understand their popularity but whatever works.

I have been unable to get out of bed but after a couple tall glasses of Gatorade in an hour or two, can get up to get something to eat.

I am not one to pitch a fit about the types of sugars or artificial ingredients. My illness does not benefit from STRICT "no fake this, no fake that" diets as I have been there done that. I also work to keep weight on so Gatorade isn't an issue there. But I don't drink it all day long. I sip small amounts of water.

I start the day off with Coffee with a generous dash of salt in the grounds before brewing.

I have POTS, the non fainting version but semi-housebound. So this is my gatorade story, lol.

Hi Miriam,

My muscles had a hard time with all the sugar in Gatorade. I found something called "Smart Water", made by Glaceau. I've bought mine at Pick 'n' Save, and have seen it at other grocery stores and health food stores, too. It has magnesium, potassium, and...something else in it. Anyway, it restores your body's electrolytes. It's clear and it tastes like regular water (even better than regular water, I think!).

Hope this helps!

Kristin :o

Hi Miriam,

My muscles had a hard time with all the sugar in Gatorade.  I found something called "Smart Water", made by Glaceau.  I've bought mine at Pick 'n' Save, and have seen it at other grocery stores and health food stores, too.  It has magnesium, potassium, and...something else in it.  Anyway, it restores your body's electrolytes.  It's clear and it tastes like regular water (even better than regular water, I think!).

Hope this helps!

Kristin :o

THANKS