Presyncope

Greying out (visual distubrance where grey dots increase and start to block out my vision), faster and faster heart rate, ridiculous shortness of breath, a feeling I am about to loose consciousness. I have urge to keep moving no matter what, or lie down otherwise I will faint.

It often starts with this little sharp pain in my head (usually left top side) and then these icy spider-like feelings crawl up my back, shoulders, neck and head. Then these waves of severe dizziness (not spinning but faintness) hit me in the face and wash over my head. Like others said I can't sit still, I've got to move. I can handle one or two of these waves, but three or more and I'm blacking out or going into a panic attack. During these waves I cannot travel (ie get up from a chair- but I can't sit still). So if I need to move, (ie to the bed) it has to be between waves. And breathing is almost always increased in frequency during these episodes.

As others have said there is an overwhelming weakness during the episode and afterwards tremendous exhaustion for hours later.

Note: for me this can happen with or without significant changes in BP and HR.

For me it usually follows a pattern: slight dizziness -> lightheaded -> increasing dizziness -> eyes start having trouble with focusing -> very dizzy -> lose colour vision / get tunnel-vision -> consciousness and balance starts to go -> nausea -> out.

I've been lucky enough that I get plenty of warning from my body before I pass out. Most of the time I can halt it before I get to the difficulty focusing/very dizzy stage.

There's also a second pattern my body has which usually is when I'm sick/tired/after eating, which goes like this: slight dizziness+weak -> lightheaded+increasing weakness -> increasing dizziness -> eyes start having trouble with focusing + start to have trouble keeping my head up and my limbs feel like lead weights -> consciousness starts to go -> out. This second pattern is more difficult for me to override.

Ive never fainted (yet!! feels like its coming closer and closer thou :blink: )

I literally feel the blood drain from the top of my head down and for me I ALWAYS start dry wretching....pretty severely but never vomit. Seems the dip kicks of some brain recepor that engages my gag reflex! But I reckon I dont faint cos the wretching comes on so quicky and hanging my head over the toilet gets the blood rushing again :D ! Also get ringing in my ears, dizzy, black spots in front of my eyes.

Interesting Post...i always wonder why some faint so regularly and others not at all!

For those without full syncope, what is your presyncope like, other than hr and bp readings. As in descriptive symptoms?

Like most everyone here, I definitely get nauseous, with a very weird tunnel vision with lots of flashing lights. But another symptom I don't think I've seen on here, is that I get extremely hot and sweaty from head to toe, and my face feels very flush. I also have shortness of breath. I still haven't found a doctor in my area who knows about dysautonomia, but my current EP doctor says to just sit or lie down if I get symptomatic and stay hydrated :D . He thinks the meds for this are worse than the symptoms, so he advised me to take nothing, and just be aware of my symptoms before I pass out.

I actually have Hypertension, and take Ramipril daily, but wonder if I should be put on a beta blocker. Am waiting to find a new (fourth) cardiologist to help me with this decision I am able to ride my bicycle, but with any kind of incline I can get my heart rate to 200, so worry I could be damaging my heart. Of course with dysautonomia, my blood pressure is very hard to regulate. If I miss one dose of my bp med, my bp goes through the roof. During my "time of the month" there is no helping... my symptoms are worsened ten-fold, and my blood pressure is all over the place, extreme highs to extreme lows.

• 2 weeks later...

A few minutes prior: severe nausea to the point of almost vomiting, drenched in sweat (I can feel the sweat response flash across my body!), extreme anxiety. Then tunnel vision starts, I tell someone near me I'm about to pass out and need to sit/lie down. Tunnel vision closes down until I can just see a small circle, then that circle begins to go gray. If I sit down at that point I don't pass out.

I have tons of syncope, but usually very little presyncope. 9 times out of 10, I can't feel it coming on. One minute I'm walking, the next I'm waking up.

For the times that I do experience presyncope, it usually consists of severe nausea, hot flashes, sweating, vision gets really bright, can't form words appropriately, loud ringing in my ears that drowns out any other sounds, and I get really jittery.

j have both syncope and presyncope episodes and always think the presyncope ones are worse cos they seem to last much longer....

my presyncope symptoms are-

• i get super dizzy and usually this is enough to disorient me enough that i fall to the floor, or onto a seat if its directly under me, i have no control where i fall.
  • my vision looks like someone washed out all the colours and its all muted and white. hence why the episode is often called a White Out,
  • i loose my peripheral vision, get odd stars in my eyes and what i call 'black stars' - like normal stars but theres dark spots instead. and when closer to black out i get tunnel vision. i also cant focus my eyes, no matter how hard i try. just cant do it!
  • my hearing mutes, and its like i'm hearing stuff while underwater, with an odd white noise, often like static on a tv or a ringing sound (like tinnitus ringing).
  • i cant think clearly, i go proper confused and if i'm talking i slur and get my words all the wrong order, or my brain gives me completely the wrong word but i think i've said the correct one, so i'm impossible to understand.
  • i feel drunk and if walking on my sticks i weave all over the place
  • sometimes get a headache, if the episode is lasting a long time.
  • apparently i go super pale, and look exhausted (the expression in my eyes apparently)
  • the closer i get to full black out the nausea gradually builds and i get all dribbly
  • i feel all hot but have cold sweats and sometimes shiver
  • a few seconds before i black out my left eye twitches side to side (i wasnt aware of this, it was pointed out to me at a recent hospital appointment where i fainted).
  • i get this odd feeling of impending doom, like something really bad is gonna happen and it comes with a funny empty feeling inside my upper tummy area, recently found out that this is blood rushing towards my lower body through the big blood vessels that run from the heart area to near the pelvis.
  • i also get a massive increase in heart rate and right before i black out my blood pressure crashes- up to that point it stays up to a nice normal ish level

:)

fi

That thing that happens when you get up too fast from sitting to standing- you know when it goes black around your eyes? Does anybody actually pass out from that? It happens so often and I don't pass out but I don't know if I should just ignore it or sit down when it happens? Also I have never passed out before but I get a different thing other than the going black sensation it's like the world is spinning and my knees buckle...

That thing that happens when you get up too fast from sitting to standing- you know when it goes black around your eyes? Does anybody actually pass out from that?

All the time for me. If I stand up too quickly, I'll be able to take about 2 steps before falling over. From a lying down position, it takes me approx 1 - 2 full minutes to be able to stand without fainting, though I still can't get very far before I eventually go down.